What's Up in June 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not as hot in Ireland (max about 26-28 degrees), but that's still hot for us.

As is always the way, everyone and their dog complains about no summer here til we get smacked with it and then everyone goes, 'bit too hot isn't it! sure there's no pleasing us!' and I feel like slapping them all upside the head for wishing away my beloved cool weather and then complaining about it.

Aside from that, I'm going to see Elton John tomorrow night with my mum. Should be fun - I've always wanted to see Elton live, but unfortunately it's a standing gig in a big tent in a field, essentially. Given the way the weather has been, I'm a little afraid we're all going to die of heat exhaustion in there (apologies in advance if we take one of your national treasures with us).

Stuff isn't great for my mum at the moment, what with inability to pay the mortgage and my dad having moved out. She's pursuing options to avoid being taken to court for reposession of the house, but she's mostly doing it on her own and she sounds severely depressed most of the time. Which is hilarious, considering my father is now living rent free in a mobile home and no longer paying any bills into the house, while living on social welfare (just under €800 a month, but claims to be himself suffering from severe depression. While, y'know organising social events in November for his biker crowd. How he can't afford to pay a bit towards the mortgage in those circumstances is beyond me, but hey ho.

I hope you enjoy seeing Elton John live :). I hope you won't get too hot!

It's hot here too, it was 31 °C yesterday evening in my living room (and it was even hotter outside). Current predictions are that it will be hot for a few more days, and then it will cool down to around 25 °C and we'll have rain and possibly thunderstorms. Of course, the predictions change every day, so what they predict now for in a few days, might not come true. The ground is very dry; the plants, nature and wild animals could all do with some rain.

Sorry to hear about your mum's problems :(. I hope things will work out for her.

Back home in South Carolina after spending 46 hours in our SUV driving to Texas picking up five grands, checking on dd and newest granddaughter (this makes their 6th!) turning directly around and heading back home. Got in yesterday evening. Washed clothes, cleaned out the SUV, washed carseat and booster seat covers, made doctor's appointments for the girls, fed, bathed and bedded five kids, cleaned up the mess and cleaned my kitchen. Got up this morning and took the girls for their yearly check up and to got them caught up on vaccines. Let me tell you, the four year old is ox strong! And the looks and sound she made...thought I'd have to call in an exorcist! Treated them to a cheeseburger. Ran to Walmart to pick up a few necessities and came home. Hubby is sleeping (had to go directly to work as soon as we got home. I just spent an hour programming the littles' nabi jr (toddler learning tablets) and putting the proper internet passwords into ALL five tablets!

Today is dreary and drizzling so we'll be cooped up inside today. We may venture out tomorrow. Next Tuesday its the boys turns for THEIR physicals!!

@Virginia I was hot and tired BEFORE I read that, and felt hotter and more tired once I had! Glad that the journeying went well. :)

It's been silly hot here, so I have been doing everything slowly and calmly for the last few days, rather than my usual manic pace. I always get up early, which is lovely in this heat - the birds are singing merrily and the air is cool.

:snowflake: < Here's a snowflake for anyone needing a break from the heat! 

It has been absolutely scorching here on Jersey - they said today was the warmest day, but yesterday was the worst for me. We were sweating in places I didn't know existed. 

Despite the heat it has been a good few days though. On Sunday we pottered around St Helier and walked along the beach for a few miles. Yesterday we visited the War Tunnels and then went on St Aubin's Bay before rounding off the day looking at some old German bunkers and so on. This morning we visited the lighthouse on the westernmost point of the island and then went on to the Jersey Lavender Farm, which smelt wonderful. My feet and legs are covered in insect bites from all the walking, so I bought some lavender oil, which is supposed to be a natural antiseptic.

Tomorrow is my birthday so we are planning another celebratory lunch. We hope to visit some of the neolithic passage tombs and so on, and go to one of the small fishing villages on the east side of the island. I will be glad when it starts to cool down a bit though.

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

@Virginia I was hot and tired BEFORE I read that, and felt hotter and more tired once I had! Glad that the journeying went well. :)

It's been silly hot here, so I have been doing everything slowly and calmly for the last few days, rather than my usual manic pace. I always get up early, which is lovely in this heat - the birds are singing merrily and the air is cool.

LMAO!!! I sometimes sit back and wonder HOW I managed to get it done! It's been a year since I've done the granny/mommy role and thankfully, it never left!

12 hours ago, Virginia said:

Back home in South Carolina after spending 46 hours in our SUV driving to Texas picking up five grands, checking on dd and newest granddaughter (this makes their 6th!) turning directly around and heading back home. Got in yesterday evening. Washed clothes, cleaned out the SUV, washed carseat and booster seat covers, made doctor's appointments for the girls, fed, bathed and bedded five kids, cleaned up the mess and cleaned my kitchen. Got up this morning and took the girls for their yearly check up and to got them caught up on vaccines. Let me tell you, the four year old is ox strong! And the looks and sound she made...thought I'd have to call in an exorcist! Treated them to a cheeseburger. Ran to Walmart to pick up a few necessities and came home. Hubby is sleeping (had to go directly to work as soon as we got home. I just spent an hour programming the littles' nabi jr (toddler learning tablets) and putting the proper internet passwords into ALL five tablets!

Today is dreary and drizzling so we'll be cooped up inside today. We may venture out tomorrow. Next Tuesday its the boys turns for THEIR physicals!!

Wow, it sounds like you're quite busy! Glad you got home allright after the long drive :).

10 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Thanks for the snowflake :). It's hot here too, and like you I also have been doing things more slowly. I also always get up early, and it's still a nice temperature in the early morning. Here's a snowflake for you too: :snowflake:.

10 hours ago, Talisman said:

Despite the heat it has been a good few days though. On Sunday we pottered around St Helier and walked along the beach for a few miles. Yesterday we visited the War Tunnels and then went on St Aubin's Bay before rounding off the day looking at some old German bunkers and so on. This morning we visited the lighthouse on the westernmost point of the island and then went on to the Jersey Lavender Farm, which smelt wonderful. My feet and legs are covered in insect bites from all the walking, so I bought some lavender oil, which is supposed to be a natural antiseptic.

Tomorrow is my birthday so we are planning another celebratory lunch. We hope to visit some of the neolithic passage tombs and so on, and go to one of the small fishing villages on the east side of the island. I will be glad when it starts to cool down a bit though.

I'm glad you're having a good time in Jersey despite the heat. I wish you a happy birthday and hope you have a great day :)!!

I haven't been doing as many productive things the past few days because it's just too hot. I'm seeing my psychiatrist later this week (and the dentist next week :hide:).

16 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Much appreciated! *rolls around on snowflake*

Elton John was (himself) fantastic, but unfortunately the sound system in the Marquee (literally a giant tent in a field) was terrible, so all the richness and nuance of his voice was totally lost. Awful shame, but as I say he himself was on top form. He looks fantastic, his voice is the same as always and flawless live. He also was wearing a fabulous long coat with the kind of stunning sparkles that only millions can buy. He does shuffle when he walks now though bless him, he takes his time moving round the stage and shuffles a bit.

Hope I get to see him again in a better venue, but if not, I've still ticked something off my bucket list.

Glad you had a great time. I love Elton John. Shame about the sound system though.

A very Happy Birthday to you, Talisman :) hope you are being spoilt rotten.

Good luck with the dentist, Athena. It's great you make an effort despite your phobia. 

Hope every one is having a good week. Today is been a good day for the most part. I started slimming world back in January and today I lost 3 lbs! So 2 more and I'll be a stone lighter! 

18 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Elton John was (himself) fantastic, but unfortunately the sound system in the Marquee (literally a giant tent in a field) was terrible, so all the richness and nuance of his voice was totally lost. Awful shame, but as I say he himself was on top form. He looks fantastic, his voice is the same as always and flawless live. He also was wearing a fabulous long coat with the kind of stunning sparkles that only millions can buy. He does shuffle when he walks now though bless him, he takes his time moving round the stage and shuffles a bit.

Hope I get to see him again in a better venue, but if not, I've still ticked something off my bucket list.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Elton John concert :). Shame about the sound system though :(. I'm glad it was still nice to see him live. 

9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Good luck with the dentist, Athena. It's great you make an effort despite your phobia. 

Thanks Lau Lou :).

9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Hope every one is having a good week. Today is been a good day for the most part. I started slimming world back in January and today I lost 3 lbs! So 2 more and I'll be a stone lighter!

Well done :)!

Thanks Lau Lau. I haven't figured out how to do the whole quote thing using my phone. It's much easier with a desktop as you have a mouse to play with.

It was a very good birthday though. We went to a small fishing village near St Helier to see one of the old castles, with a visit to Europe's oldest passage tomb en route. We had a lovely lunch in a little Italian place by the harbour - all gluten free and delicious, washed down with Jersey ice cream. 

Yesterday was so hot, we thought we would both melt, but today was much better, so we went for a 7 mile walk around the north, starting and ending at different bays and with German fortifications and gun batteries in between. Tomorrow being our last day we plan to have a somewhat shorter walk proceeded by a gluten free cream tea. They are in short supply out here, as in Cornwall also, but we have managed to find a lovely little tea room not far from the zoo that offers them. It seems a fitting way to end our time here.

Edited by Talisman

Hey y'all!

Happy Belated Birthday Tali!

Things have been pretty busy here since the grands came. We've done doctors appt for the girls and the boys are next week. Yesterday I took the boys to one of our libraries for a lego build thingy. Today I took them all to the main branch for story time. They wanted to check out books and I think its safe to assume we walked out with about 30 books. Tomorrow will be a stay at home day. We'll read books and play outside.

All my summer plans are pretty much shot. My mom was going to watch the girls but was taken to the hospital yesterday. Today they decided to operate on her leg because she has some kind of bacterial infection in her knee. I'll go to her on Tuesday to help out and so she can see her great grands. 

Safe to assume there will be no working outside the home this summer. 

I have been picking blueberries and blackberries once a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I pick enough to last me a little more than a week. Every morning I have about 3 handfuls of blueberries on my cereal. I have made blackberry cobbler twice but I also really. really. enjoy them simply as snacks. They are soooo good. Probably my favorite berry. The place where I pick the berries is so nice and I can pick a bucketful of each type berry pretty quick.

I am in my glory this time of year. :)

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

The blackberries are just beginning to come out here, we should have loads in our garden, although they tend to be a bit bitter. 

I wonder what type variety you have since they are bitter. The blackberry that I am picking are very sweet. I only pick the berries that come off in my hand easily when touched. If you have to pull on them even a little they aren't ripe even though they are black in color. :) They just melt in my mouth. :)

17 hours ago, Talisman said:

It was a very good birthday though. We went to a small fishing village near St Helier to see one of the old castles, with a visit to Europe's oldest passage tomb en route. We had a lovely lunch in a little Italian place by the harbour - all gluten free and delicious, washed down with Jersey ice cream. 

Yesterday was so hot, we thought we would both melt, but today was much better, so we went for a 7 mile walk around the north, starting and ending at different bays and with German fortifications and gun batteries in between. Tomorrow being our last day we plan to have a somewhat shorter walk proceeded by a gluten free cream tea. They are in short supply out here, as in Cornwall also, but we have managed to find a lovely little tea room not far from the zoo that offers them. It seems a fitting way to end our time here.

I'm glad you've been having a great time there and that you had a very good birthday :).

16 hours ago, Virginia said:

Things have been pretty busy here since the grands came. We've done doctors appt for the girls and the boys are next week. Yesterday I took the boys to one of our libraries for a lego build thingy. Today I took them all to the main branch for story time. They wanted to check out books and I think its safe to assume we walked out with about 30 books. Tomorrow will be a stay at home day. We'll read books and play outside.

All my summer plans are pretty much shot. My mom was going to watch the girls but was taken to the hospital yesterday. Today they decided to operate on her leg because she has some kind of bacterial infection in her knee. I'll go to her on Tuesday to help out and so she can see her great grands.

I hope your mum will be okay :(. It sounds like you're pretty busy again.

12 hours ago, muggle not said:

I have been picking blueberries and blackberries once a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I pick enough to last me a little more than a week. Every morning I have about 3 handfuls of blueberries on my cereal. I have made blackberry cobbler twice but I also really. really. enjoy them simply as snacks. They are soooo good. Probably my favorite berry. The place where I pick the berries is so nice and I can pick a bucketful of each type berry pretty quick.

That's nice :). I remember from last year, you posting about it. I'm glad you're enjoying this time of year.

I've had my psychiatrist's appointment and it went well. I'm going to change something about my medication, I hope for the better. I won't start until next week though, because next week I have to go to the dentist ( :hide:) and I prefer to wait until after that appointment, in case I get side effects from changing medication. There was a student of medicine with the appointment, who came to observe as part of her internship. I was not expecting this (because the organisation isn't smart enough to realise it would've been better to have informed someone with autism about it beforehand :doh:), but gladly she was friendly. She didn't say much, she was mostly there to observe, though my psychiatrist explained some things more thoroughly because of her. Because of something unexpected, someone else being present, I felt more tired after the appointment than I think I would've otherwise been.

It's almost weekend. I've got a lot of chores to do this weekend. With the heat we've been having the past week, I've not felt up for doing much (it was just too hot). I'm glad it's cooled down somewhat, as the 25 °C max of today was a lot more pleasant.

I wish everyone a good weekend :)!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

There was a student of medicine with the appointment, who came to observe as part of her internship. I was not expecting this (because the organisation isn't smart enough to realise it would've been better to have informed someone with autism about it beforehand :doh:), but gladly she was friendly. She didn't say much, she was mostly there to observe, though my psychiatrist explained some things more thoroughly because of her. Because of something unexpected, someone else being present, I felt more tired after the appointment than I think I would've otherwise been.

That doesn't even just apply to people with autism, any appointment with any form of medical professional is a private event and should be confidential. Ergo, if students are going to be present, the consent of the patient should always be obtained. Sorry you had to experience that, that was fairly unprofessional of your psychiatrist. I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.

I'm so glad it's Friday! I need to do some work on my first course assignment this weekend, but otherwise I'm mostly going to cross-stitch I think.

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I don't know what type of blackberry is in our garden - wild ones!

When I was about 12  - 14 years old I went picking wild blackberries and picked for about 3 -4 hours and finally filled up the bucket. on the way home while riding my bicycle through the woods I hit a bump and went flying including all the blackberries. Blackberries were difficult to pick in the wilds and there were rattlesnakes in the area. :)

17 hours ago, Nollaig said:

That doesn't even just apply to people with autism, any appointment with any form of medical professional is a private event and should be confidential. Ergo, if students are going to be present, the consent of the patient should always be obtained. Sorry you had to experience that, that was fairly unprofessional of your psychiatrist. I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.

I'm so glad it's Friday! I need to do some work on my first course assignment this weekend, but otherwise I'm mostly going to cross-stitch I think.

Well he asked me just before our appointment but in the timespan of 5 seconds, with her standing next to him, I felt I couldn't very well say no. I felt overwhelmed, it was something unexpected. Gladly though she seemed nice and friendly, there are plenty of people I would've felt less comfortable with. At the time I just had to go along with it, while trying to process what was happening. I'd still have preferred to at least have been asked about it beforehand, ie. through an email at least a day before the appointment (preferably email over a phone call, because then I'd have to immediately respond to the phone call with an answer). I have no idea if this is normal practise (practice?) in the Netherlands or not. I think it happened once before several years ago with my therapist appointment, but I can't quite remember exactly.

I hope you enjoy your cross-stitching :).

It does sound rather unprofessional Athena, I've found doctors do that sort of thing a lot, I've had it when giving birth! When I had Charlie we had a junior doctor in with us for quite a period (including the finale!), he kept Steve amused teaching him how to play tunes on the stethoscope...I was pretty drugged up though so I may not be remembering it accurately! :lol:

I haven't been on here much lately, life has been so busy with work, kids exams and just life in general. I took up netball a couple of months ago which I was loving until I injured my knee, 11 days on from the injury and it is still painful and swollen, I can't fully straighten it or bend it so am currently waiting for an MRI to see what I've done to it. :blush: Annoyingly this time next week Maddie and I will be in Amsterdam and we were planning on doing lots of walking, we will have to see how that goes! Before that we have her prom on Thursday, I can't wait to see her in her dress, hair and nails done, she is beautiful anyway (I know I'm biased but she really is!) so she will be stunning on Thursday. :wub:

I hope everyone has had a good week and will have even better weekends. Happy birthday June and any others I may have missed. :sign0072:  

That sounds painful, Hayley.  Hope it's nothing too serious and that it can be treated before your trip. :empathy:

I've had a lovely day today - my other half is off doing his own thing, so I went into town this morning, had a coffee and a read, then went to the cinema.  After the film treated myself to lunch followed by a long walk, stopped for a break in the square, and sat on the bench for another read, and watching the world go by, although it was sunny so most people were just sat on the grass.  I did watch a young guy practising his juggling with clubs, which a a bit of fun and diverting for a few minutes.  I found out this morning that there's a lecture in a local festival that I'm interested in, so I stopped to get a ticket in the box office, followed by going into another new place I've found for a gelato, then walked for a bit longer before coming home.

OH is still not home yet, and I suspect he'll be out for at least another couple of hours, so I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet while I can!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend too. :)

4 hours ago, chaliepud said:

Happy birthday June and any others I may have missed. :sign0072:  

Thank you - and the same from me too for anyone I may have missed.

We got back to Gatwick from Jersey just after 2pm, and then had to wait almost an hour for our luggage. Not sure what the problem was, but we got it in the end so that's what counts. Our neighbour picked us from the airport and we were home by about 4pm. It was a brilliant 2 weeks all round - great weather (it started raining en route to the airport this morning), great food and great company. It's back to work though on Monday, and normality - whatever that is.  

16 hours ago, chaliepud said:

It does sound rather unprofessional Athena, I've found doctors do that sort of thing a lot, I've had it when giving birth! When I had Charlie we had a junior doctor in with us for quite a period (including the finale!), he kept Steve amused teaching him how to play tunes on the stethoscope...I was pretty drugged up though so I may not be remembering it accurately! :lol:

Oh wow, that sounds very uncomfortable, to have an extra junior doctor there during the birth. It's nice to hear though that this kind of thing happens not just to me.

I haven't been on here much lately, life has been so busy with work, kids exams and just life in general. I took up netball a couple of months ago which I was loving until I injured my knee, 11 days on from the injury and it is still painful and swollen, I can't fully straighten it or bend it so am currently waiting for an MRI to see what I've done to it. :blush: Annoyingly this time next week Maddie and I will be in Amsterdam and we were planning on doing lots of walking, we will have to see how that goes! Before that we have her prom on Thursday, I can't wait to see her in her dress, hair and nails done, she is beautiful anyway (I know I'm biased but she really is!) so she will be stunning on Thursday. :wub:

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee :(. I hope it will be better soon. I wish you lots of fun in Amsterdam :). I'm sure Maddie will look very pretty :).

16 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I've had a lovely day today - my other half is off doing his own thing, so I went into town this morning, had a coffee and a read, then went to the cinema.  After the film treated myself to lunch followed by a long walk, stopped for a break in the square, and sat on the bench for another read, and watching the world go by, although it was sunny so most people were just sat on the grass.  I did watch a young guy practising his juggling with clubs, which a a bit of fun and diverting for a few minutes.  I found out this morning that there's a lecture in a local festival that I'm interested in, so I stopped to get a ticket in the box office, followed by going into another new place I've found for a gelato, then walked for a bit longer before coming home.

OH is still not home yet, and I suspect he'll be out for at least another couple of hours, so I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet while I can!

It sounds like you had a nice day on your own :).

12 hours ago, Talisman said:

We got back to Gatwick from Jersey just after 2pm, and then had to wait almost an hour for our luggage. Not sure what the problem was, but we got it in the end so that's what counts. Our neighbour picked us from the airport and we were home by about 4pm. It was a brilliant 2 weeks all round - great weather (it started raining en route to the airport this morning), great food and great company. It's back to work though on Monday, and normality - whatever that is.  

I'm glad you got your luggage in the end, though a shame you had to wait a while for it. I'm really glad you had a great 2 weeks of holiday :).

I remember when I flew from the UK to Italy (to go on holiday in Italy for almost a week) and we waited several hours for our luggage - to then be told in broken English it was not coming because it was still at the airport in the UK. It was past midnight by this point, several hours after my bedtime. I got my luggage one day before my flight home (which was going to the Netherlands, since that's where I live and all). Ever since, I'm trying to put as much as possible in myand luggage (well within the weight and size limits of course, as I'm also panicky about the staff not letting it on), so that I at least have all my important items with me in my hand luggage rather than if the suitcase goes missing again. If I was going home it would not have been so bad, I have spare clothes and spare medication here at home, but not on holiday of course. I was pretty upset, it kind of put a damper on my holiday in Italy. Other than that though I did enjoy the holiday. My parents were already there, they had driven there by car. My boyfriend and I ended up having to wear some of their clothes (that they brought), because we didn't have much of our own (only what was in the hand luggage). Lesson learned.

Today I'm planning to phone with my sister and tonight we're planning to have dinner together with my parents. I did lots of chores yesterday so I don't need to do as much today. I hope to rest a bit :).