Your Book Activity - June 2017

Kylie

No, not read it before but have enjoyed her other two books. I think I will make it my next read.

Well, I finished The Miniaturist.......what a strange, inconclusive (dare I say 'pointless'?) book. :unsure: It was easy enough to read, but I read the last page, and thought 'Is that it??' Strange! 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Love Madness Fishing by Dexter Petley yesterday morning, and although I can appreciate why it's made the long list of the Wainwright Prize, it's been my least favourite read of the books so far.  Took a break in between long list books, and read Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine next, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and now I'm going back to the list with The Otters' Tale by Simon Cooper next up. :)

On 6/27/2017 at 9:00 PM, Nollaig said:

On 6/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, bobblybear said:

The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas, so not a total loss but still annoying. :rolleyes:

Have you read the above before? I haven't read it in years, but I remember thoroughly enjoying it. Gets a bit wacky towards the end, but I loved it. Must reread it again sometime.

Is that the one with black page edges? I went through a phase of reading loads of books with coloured page edging because they looked cool.. :giggle2:   I can't remember anything about the story though! :rolleyes: 

I finished End of Watch yesterday and started Thinking About it Only Makes it Worse by (comedian) David MItchell, which is my penultimate library book, after which I shall not be borrowing any more. No sirree.... :unsure:

I also finally spent my £20 Waterstones gift voucher last week. There was a 'buy one get one half price thing' on, so I managed to get The Long Cosmos by TP & Stephen Baxter, Nomad by Alan Partridge and The Fireman by Joe Hill, all without having to pay a penny extra. :)  Admittedly, I could have got them cheaper on Amazon, but it was free money and it's good to support an actual bricks and mortar bookshop from time to time. 

On 27.6.2017 at 10:21 PM, bobblybear said:

I went to the library after work today to borrow Under A Pole Star by Stef Penney. I checked the online catalogue at lunch and it was still showing as available, but by the time I got to the library a few hours later, someone had borrowed it!!! :angry: 

Oh crap :(  I saw a copy of the book at a bookshop today. Didn't buy it, but I did eye it!

Only 60 pages to finish The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan. 

15 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Is that the one with black page edges? I went through a phase of reading loads of books with coloured page edging because they looked cool.. :giggle2:   I can't remember anything about the story though! :rolleyes:

Yup, that's the one!

I'm a quarter of the way through Gone Astray and am actually enjoying it, yay!

• Athena unpinned this topic

Now I have very important period in my life - graduation exams in order to confirm my Bachelor Degree, so, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time. Currently I am reading epic series "More than a Game" written by Andrey Vasyliev. Very interesting book in LitRPG-genre. This book helps me to rest from busy period and gives me editional emotional support. 

• 1 month later...

Hi - new to this forum and have enjoyed reading many of the previous posts.  Some good suggestions for future reads! I love a wide variety both fiction and non-fiction and would recommend a couple of books I've recently enjoyed.  The Belle Fields by Lora  Adams would be enjoyed by many.  It's a story of a local girl who lands a job in a local Big House in late Victorian times.  She comes from a poor family but is propelled into another world by what she encounters living with the rich and powerful.  Fast moving narrative describing the youngster's ups and downs when advances are made by some 'above stairs'.  Very descriptive scenes when celebrations at the mansion take place and many twists and turns with an unexpected end!  A sequel has been promised - Ashes of Roses and I can't wait for that to be published to see how Emily fairs.  It's available in paperback or for Kindle - think it cost me a couple of pounds!  Another I would recommend is perhaps unique?  Say Kangaroo by Five Sisters is a compilation of poetry and drawings written by (you guessed it) - five sisters who grew up in the 50's and 60's and formed a close-knit family who like a lot of others struggled to make ends meet.  Mum was always doing her best and dad worked all hours but seemsto have liked a drink! The poems are funny, sad, some very 'deep' and certainly took me back to my childhood.  Subjects include holidays, schooling, pets, Christmases etc etc.  Really enjoyed this one - again a couple of pounds from Amazon.  Hope anyone having a look at either will enjoy as I have? - would love your thoughts.  

Finished a re-read of the glorious Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield on Friday, then read Scarlet and Ivy: The Lost Twin by Sophie Cleverly yesterday.  Have been trying not to buy so many books recently, but went into local indie bookshop and dealt I had to support then, so came away with Birdcage Walk by Helen Dunmore.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2017 at 6:08 AM, bookmad said:

Hi - new to this forum and have enjoyed reading many of the previous posts.  Some good suggestions for future reads! I love a wide variety both fiction and non-fiction and would recommend a couple of books I've recently enjoyed.  The Belle Fields by Lora  Adams would be enjoyed by many.  It's a story of a local girl who lands a job in a local Big House in late Victorian times.  She comes from a poor family but is propelled into another world by what she encounters living with the rich and powerful.  Fast moving narrative describing the youngster's ups and downs when advances are made by some 'above stairs'.  Very descriptive scenes when celebrations at the mansion take place and many twists and turns with an unexpected end!  A sequel has been promised - Ashes of Roses and I can't wait for that to be published to see how Emily fairs.  It's available in paperback or for Kindle - think it cost me a couple of pounds!  Another I would recommend is perhaps unique?  Say Kangaroo by Five Sisters is a compilation of poetry and drawings written by (you guessed it) - five sisters who grew up in the 50's and 60's and formed a close-knit family who like a lot of others struggled to make ends meet.  Mum was always doing her best and dad worked all hours but seemsto have liked a drink! The poems are funny, sad, some very 'deep' and certainly took me back to my childhood.  Subjects include holidays, schooling, pets, Christmases etc etc.  Really enjoyed this one - again a couple of pounds from Amazon.  Hope anyone having a look at either will enjoy as I have? - would love your thoughts.  

Hooray - the sequel to The Belle Fields by Lora Adams mentioned above has now been published.  Ashes of Roses is now hot off the press and I've just read it in just a couple of sittings.  Pacey and again plenty of obvious research and a thoroughly enjoyable read!  It at last gave answers to how some of the characters in the original ended up and am glad at least one of the originals got what they deserved!  Surprised though how some of the others went on.  Again plenty of twists and turns but if interested in Ashes would suggest reading Belle Fields first and think you would enjoy the sequel better - although with the prologue it quite readily stands alone if you prefer.  Good reading!!