Your Book Activity - June 2017

Kylie

On 22/06/2017 at 8:10 AM, Athena said:

That's good to hear! I'll be looking forward to your review. I've read The Snow Child by the same author and liked it.

I've been making allright progress in Greg Jenner - A Million Years in a Day. I'm not reading a fictional book at the moment, I have to pick a new one. I haven't decided yet if I want to try to finish off AMYiaD first (there are about 3.5 chapters left to read) or whether I want to start a fictional read alongside it again, and if so which one. I'm not yet sure what I've been in the mood for, and I've been busy doing other things.

He wrote a lot of the television show Horrible Histories. One of my all time favourite set of books and show. May check this out.

I have read some brilliant books recently so hoping for plenty more :) 

Edited by Lau_Lou

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Don't Wake Up by Liz Lawler. It was pretty gosh darn terrible.

Now reading the second DCI Matilda Darke book by Michael Woods, since I enjoyed the first so much. A quarter of the way through the second, enjoying it just as much. Great writing. Little things like a description of Matilda's waking moments featuring 'a fitted sheet not living up to its name' make me giggle. I like the characters too.

I've been soooo busy recently that my reading has slowed down a little but I did finally finish Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (3.5/5) and have started Remembrance by Theresa Breslin, a little predictable so far but a nice easy read. :) 

On 22-6-2017 at 9:48 AM, Lau_Lou said:

He wrote a lot of the television show Horrible Histories. One of my all time favourite set of books and show of all time! May check this out.

That's nice to know :). I'm not sure if those would be available for me to buy from the Netherlands, but I can look into it :).

I haven't felt like reading much recently :(. I have to start a new book.. but I don't really feel like reading. I might have a browse through my books later and see if anything inspires me.

40 minutes ago, Athena said:

That's nice to know :). I'm not sure if those would be available for me to buy from the Netherlands, but I can look into it :).

I haven't felt like reading much recently :(. I have to start a new book.. but I don't really feel like reading. I might have a browse through my books later and see if anything inspires me.

Well Terry Deary is the author of the books. They're brilliant. They are aimed at children more but it's so cleverly done.

Sorry to hear that :( I hope you can find something to keep you interested soon. 

17 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Well Terry Deary is the author of the books. They're brilliant. They are aimed at children more but it's so cleverly done.

Sorry to hear that :( I hope you can find something to keep you interested soon. 

Oh I love the books :D. And I own quite a few of them and have read some of them. But I don't know if the TV series would be available on DVD for me to buy, some children's TV series are never released on DVD and remain TV only.

I wasn't in the mood for my Wainwright book today, so I've picked up The Persephone Book of Short Stories again today, and read three cracking stories. I can't believe the consistency in the quality of the stories I've read so far, all fantastic.

6 minutes ago, frankie said:

I've finished reading The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson, which I liked. Will pick up a new book when I go to bed tonight. 

Hopefully one that'll get you out of your reading slump :)

I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night. I was really tired, but got through the last pages - it was exciting enough to fight sleep. I got started on the sequel, Hollow City, today. After that, I'll be reading the title I look forward to most because the title itself is so interesting - Library of Souls.

Yesterday, I'd told my mother I was going to the library. I said that because I needed an explanation for why I was going and I couldn't tell her where I was really going (it's complicated). But my mom knows I can't go to the library without returning with a book, so after I'd gone to my appointment my parents know nothing about, I went to the library. I said to myself I'd just grab one book to kind of flesh out my cover story... of course returned with three books.

4 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Hopefully one that'll get you out of your reading slump :)

I'll try to find one that does me good and gets my normal mojo back! :) 

4 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Yesterday, I'd told my mother I was going to the library. I said that because I needed an explanation for why I was going and I couldn't tell her where I was really going (it's complicated). But my mom knows I can't go to the library without returning with a book, so after I'd gone to my appointment my parents know nothing about, I went to the library. I said to myself I'd just grab one book to kind of flesh out my cover story... of course returned with three books.

:lol: Well that might be a blessing in disguise :giggle2:

13 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Sometimes I also take more books with me at the library than I planned. A recognisable situation :yes:.

13 hours ago, frankie said:

I'll try to find one that does me good and gets my normal mojo back! :)

I hope you get your normal mojo back soon :)!

On ‎25‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, bobblybear said:

I'm 20% through The Miniaturist and enjoying it a lot. Can't imagine where the story is heading though. :wacko:

I loved this book it made a change from all the others that I read. Looking forward to reading the Muse at somepoint.

Just finished Escape to the Riviera - Jules Wake - a good read

A Cornish Stranger - Liz Fenwick - loved this one as it told you about the grandmothers life growing up whilst still focusing on her life today.

Moved onto

John Bude - The Sussex Downs Mysteries - another of his books that was first written in 1936

I'm another who really enjoyed The Miniaturist, @bobblybear  :)

3 hours ago, shirley said:

John Bude - The Sussex Downs Mysteries - another of his books that was first written in 1936

I've read a couple of his books.  Dated (obviously) but still a good read.  :)

I'm currently reading Accessing the Future, a disability-themed speculative fiction short story collection, edited by Kathryn Allan and Djibril Al-Ayad, with stories and illustrations from many different authors and artists. There are short stories, and there are also a few illustrations that tell their own stories. Short stories are not my favourite things, I much prefer novels. I do like the disability representation in this collection, I'm really enjoying that. I've read 5 1/2 short stories so far and seen 2 illustrations. The illustrations also have some accompanying text on the next page that describes what is shown on the illustration. So far the book is nice, it's enjoyable and it's really nice to see so much disability representation. Some of the short stories had a bit of an odd ending though, so far. Anyway, I'm not even halfway in the book, so more to come.

I haven't felt as much like reading this past month so my reading is going a lot slower than usually. I'm kind of hoping that'll be better next month, or perhaps the month after that.

I finished the second DCI Matilda Darke book (Outside Looking In) and really enjoyed it. A little less dramatic than the first, but interesting story and some good tie-ins with the first one. Can't wait to read the third, but can't justify buying it til payday on Friday.

So in the meantime, I'm reading Gone Astray by Michelle Davies. It's the first in a different series, about a DC this time who acts as a Family Liaison Officer, so I'm hoping it'll be interesting. Dunno will it live up to Matilda Darke for me though!

I should finish The Miniaturist tonight. Intrigued as to how it will end. 

I went to the library after work today to borrow Under A Pole Star by Stef Penney. I checked the online catalogue at lunch and it was still showing as available, but by the time I got to the library a few hours later, someone had borrowed it!!! :angry: I ended up borrowing End of Watch by Stephen King and The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas, so not a total loss but still annoying. :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, bobblybear said:

The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas

Shame about the the missed book!

Have you read the above before? I haven't read it in years, but I remember thoroughly enjoying it. Gets a bit wacky towards the end, but I loved it. Must reread it again sometime.