Your Book Activity - June 2017

Kylie

Currently reading Anthem for Doomed Youth by Carola Dunn, which is one of the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series.  Almost half way through but Daisy hasn't had much to do so far!  I'm sure she manage to inveigle her way into the investigation soon though. :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently re-reading Maria V. Snyder - Chronicles of Ixia 2: Study 2: Magic Study. It took me a while to pick up the second book in this series, to re-read, but now that I felt in the mood for it, I don't regret it because I'm enjoying it a lot.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:32 PM, Little Pixie said:

Ooh,ooh, Diary of a Provincial Lady  - all the volumes - are some of my favouritist ( ;) ) books ever. :) I hope you enjoy them as much as I did ; she's like a 1930`s Bridget Jones. :D

I think those were my first Virago books.

I think I've only read the first two, but I remember really enjoying them.  It was lovely to have it in the Persephone catalogue, as it gave me an excuse to buy another edition and read it all over again! :D

2 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I think I've only read the first two, but I remember really enjoying them.  It was lovely to have it in the Persephone catalogue, as it gave me an excuse to buy another edition and read it all over again! :D

I had a looksie at some of the Persephone books and they are drool-worthy. :)

15 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I finished reading Anthem for Doomed Youth by Carola Dunn today, and I had an Audible credit, so I've chosen Elinor Elephant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. :)

I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant at the moment too -- I'm about two-thirds of the way through it.  (Btw, Eleanor would slap you silly for calling her Elinor Elephant! :D )  I'm rather enjoying it; it's unlike anything else I've ever read.  Let us know how you like it!

I've been so busy lately that reading has really suffered. However, half a day without power meant that I finished Career of Evil - the third in the Cormoran Strike series by J K Rowling  Robert Galbraith. ;) Brilliant escapism. 

Now starting On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin. 

I am currently reading

The Magician's Nephew by C S Lewis

A Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling 

I have nearly finished with the first Narnia book. On the last chapter now. It has been such a fun read. Can't wait to carry on with the series.

It has helped very much with my reading slump

Not read too much of the other book but I'm going to try and read abit of it everyday. 

I am also going to start a book about the outfits Marilyn Monroe wore in her films. 

Bought myself another Wainwright book, Love Madness Fishing by Dexter Petey, and using a full stamp card and the points of my reward card, it didn't cost me a penny! :D

I also collected The January Man by Christopher Somerville from the library.

On 15/06/2017 at 11:53 AM, Onion Budgie said:

I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant at the moment too -- I'm about two-thirds of the way through it.  (Btw, Eleanor would slap you silly for calling her Elinor Elephant! :D )  I'm rather enjoying it; it's unlike anything else I've ever read.  Let us know how you like it!

I have to take the blame for Elinor, but the Elephant must have been autocorrect!!!! :lol:

I've started listening to it today, and although it's enjoyable, I have absolutely no idea where it's going!

On 2017-6-16 at 4:52 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I am currently reading

The Magician's Nephew by C S Lewis

A Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling 

I loved A Casual Vacancy. It was so much better than I was expecting.

I finished How The Mind Works by Steven Pinker yesterday. Such interesting reading, however even after reading all 500 odd pages I don't think I could sum it up in more than a couple of vague sentences. :blush:

I'm now reading Last Man In Tower by Aravind Ariga. I liked The White Tiger by him so I have high hopes for this one and so far it's pretty good. 

I'm currently reading Becky Chambers - Wayfarers 2: A Closed and Common Orbit, the sequel to A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. The medium sized paperback was recently released, and I felt in the mood to read it. I haven't read much the past few days though as I've been busy doing other things. I like the book so far but I'm not liking it as much as ALWtaS,AP the first book. But I'm interested to see where the book is going to go. I've just been busy and not totally in the mood for reading (it seems to be a bit of a theme this year for me).

I'm finally getting back into my reading groove a little bit.

Still haven't quite finished Last Days by Adam Nevill, but am 81% of the way through, and have been reading thrillers alongside it. I'm enjoying Last Days, but the last chunk has been pure, drawn out exposition, so it's been a bit of a trawl.

The two thrillers I've read this week are:

The Other Side of the Wall, a debut novel by a new Irish author, Andrea Mara. Really, thoroughly enjoyed it.

For Reasons Unknown (DCI Matilda Darke #1) by Michael Woods - a cheap, impulse Kindle buy, I wasn't expecting much from this one, and while it definitely veered off the rails a bit (as many thrillers do) towards the end, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next two installments in the series.

I'm about halfway through Don't Wake Up by Liz Lawler, which is nowhere near as good as my other reads and will likely be a 2 star read by the end.

Once I'm through that, I have a few more thrillers to dive into after a mini spending spree on ebooks.

10 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm currently reading Becky Chambers - Wayfarers 2: A Closed and Common Orbit, the sequel to A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. The medium sized paperback was recently released, and I felt in the mood to read it. I haven't read much the past few days though as I've been busy doing other things. I like the book so far but I'm not liking it as much as ALWtaS,AP the first book. But I'm interested to see where the book is going to go. I've just been busy and not totally in the mood for reading (it seems to be a bit of a theme this year for me).

I forgot about this series! I really enjoyed the first book, so will keep an eye out for the sequel coming down in price.

I'm about 60% through Last Man In Tower. Good so far....maybe not as good as The White Tiger, but still pretty decent. After this, I'm going to start The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant.  Eleanor herself was an interesting character, but overall I found the story too predictable, the minor characters too broad.  I didn't find the ending inspired.  Never mind.  3/5.  I hope you're still liking it, @chesilbeach :) 

Now on to Gently By the Shore by Alan Hunter, which I picked up because it's set in my neck of the woods - Norfolk!  I'm looking forward to catching all the local references and descriptions.

18 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant.  Eleanor herself was an interesting character, but overall I found the story too predictable, the minor characters too broad.  I didn't find the ending inspired.  Never mind.  3/5.  I hope you're still liking it, @chesilbeach :) 

I finished it this morning and feel pretty much the same - the predicability was disappointing as it started well.

9 hours ago, willoyd said:

Just finished Eowyn Ivey's To The Bright Edge of the WorldSuperb!  First 6-star (favourites list) read of the year.

That's good to hear! I'll be looking forward to your review. I've read The Snow Child by the same author and liked it.

I've been making allright progress in Greg Jenner - A Million Years in a Day. I'm not reading a fictional book at the moment, I have to pick a new one. I haven't decided yet if I want to try to finish off AMYiaD first (there are about 3.5 chapters left to read) or whether I want to start a fictional read alongside it again, and if so which one. I'm not yet sure what I've been in the mood for, and I've been busy doing other things.