The high price of cheap books

Talisman

1 minute ago, Raven said:

None I can remember off the top of my head! I know I have seen some, however.

Oh, sorry, I thought you had specific people in mind :lol:. It would be interesting if a book could be entirely crowdsourced using something like patreon. I wonder how well that would work.

I've backed Stim, an anthology by autistic authors. It's entirely crowdsourced, and the editor is working on it. It's not finished yet, though. But when it is it will have been entirely crowdsourced.

Alice Oseman first selfpublished Heartstopper Volume 1 through a Kickstarter campaign, which I backed. It then got picked up by a traditional publisher.

Anyway, that's the two examples I could think of!

On 18/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, Athena said:

I've backed Stim, an anthology by autistic authors. It's entirely crowdsourced, and the editor is working on it. It's not finished yet, though. But when it is it will have been entirely crowdsourced.

Alice Oseman first selfpublished Heartstopper Volume 1 through a Kickstarter campaign, which I backed. It then got picked up by a traditional publisher.

Anyway, that's the two examples I could think of!

That's very interesting! I didn't know Heartstopper started out as a kickstarter campaign. I wonder if the author tried to have it traditionally published before setting up the kickstarter. 

I actually just remembered, there is 'Unbound', which is entirely based on crowdsourcing to publish new books, so I suppose the idea isn't really that unusual! 

On 19/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, Talisman said:

Good for you Athena - I had no idea that authors could even do this, but when I think about it, why wouldn't or indeed shouldn't they? People crowdfund for all sorts of things.  

Agreed!

On 23/11/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hayley said:

That's very interesting! I didn't know Heartstopper started out as a kickstarter campaign. I wonder if the author tried to have it traditionally published before setting up the kickstarter. 

I think she did, but at the time publishers weren't interested. She has 3 YA novels published with another publisher, whom I think wasn't interested in the graphic novel of Heartstopper. She got a deal with Hachette when it turned out the Kickstarter did so well. But I don't know exactly, I do follow the author on Twitter and Instagram.

On 23/11/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hayley said:

I actually just remembered, there is 'Unbound', which is entirely based on crowdsourcing to publish new books, so I suppose the idea isn't really that unusual! 

Yes! Stim (see my previous post) is on Unbound :).