Searching for a book (of course its a book)

Years ago I came across this book that I thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the title except that it had Innocence in it. It was set in late 1800's and early 1900's America. The protagonist was a very poor young but exceptionally beautiful girl who was put out to service by her aunt. Through luck and fate, she finds herself married to an heir to the household that she serves. It spans a few generations where she is loved and yet neglected, best friend betrays her by having an affair with her husband and her children are ashamed of her and ridicule her.

Can anyone think of the name of this book?

I think The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton is set in the late 1800's in America but I've never read it so I'm not sure if it fits your plot description. Sorry if that's useless but thought I'd mention it just in case :lol:

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I think The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton is set in the late 1800's in America but I've never read it so I'm not sure if it fits your plot description. Sorry if that's useless but thought I'd mention it just in case :lol:

I was so excited to think this might be it but sadly, its not, :(. The title is close though and it almost fooled me til I remembered reading this book and seeing the movie. Thanks anyway!

On 5/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, Little Pixie said:

I had a search on goodreads and librarything, but nothing fit the bill. Can you recall anything about the cover ? And would it be shelved under historical romance, family saga ? :) 

The cover is of a lady with red hair in a 19th century outfit (kind of like Age of Innocence) with a shack and a mansion in the background, I think. Ugh! So frustrating, like having the name of a song on the tip of one's tongue...lol!