Point Horror

Horrorfan

We had quite a few Point Horror books in the library at school - and considering I was one of about ten people that regularly took books out (and half of those students were taking out academic books) I could usually always find one. I can't really remember the ones I read, nor whether I was scared, but I obviously found them engaging as I read several of them (to my recollection).

When I was about 15 I moved onto Christopher Pike, but when I was working in a care home a few years ago they (oddly) had a Point book on the shelves about a plane crash - was quite quite cheesy!

Yes they are cheesy! I used to read these when I was very young. I would read them before bed because obviously being the age I was at the time and with them being a "horror" it felt quite "big" of me :D, needless to say I was hugely disappointed!

I got one from the library last year, managed to read it in two hours and it was just awful! So many cheesy parts :(

• 1 year later...

These books were a MASSIVE part of my childhood/early adolescence!! I used to collect them and still have probably 10-12 of them, including Teacher's Pet, The Mall, The Babysitter and many others previously mentioned. I'm sure if I re-read them now, I might cringe a little, but they were fantastic at the time and I'm keeping them for if I ever have kids of my own, because I reckon they're still definitely worth reading.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I LOVED 'Point Horror' when I was about 12-13! The ones that stand out the most for me were 'The Babysitter' and 'Teacher's Pet'. I did try and read a couple of the 'Point Romance' novels, but they were never as good. The 'Point Horror' books influenced me to go on to read Stephen King novels.

This thread makes me want to read 'Point Horror' books again after all these years.....

Oh wow! I used to love these books when I was younger, there was loads of them in the school library, I used to loan them out and sit in my room at night to read them. They were great, dunno if I'd feel the same about them now but this thread had definitely made me want to read a couple again! I remember the babysitter ones were really good and the Point Horror Unleased were amazing :P

I did try and read a couple of the 'Point Romance' novels, but they were never as good.

I tried these as well, they weren't nearly as good but then I'm not a big romance novel person really :P

This thread had also made me think of Goosebumps :P They were good fun too!

I tried these as well, they weren't nearly as good but then I'm not a big romance novel person really :P

This thread had also made me think of Goosebumps :P They were good fun too!

No I've never been into romance novels either. I think I read a few 'Goosebumps' novels, didn't they get turned into a tv programme too, or is that my imagination? This thread also makes me think of 'Sweet Valley High' books/tv programmes, but that's for another thread!

No I've never been into romance novels either. I think I read a few 'Goosebumps' novels, didn't they get turned into a tv programme too, or is that my imagination? This thread also makes me think of 'Sweet Valley High' books/tv programmes, but that's for another thread!

Yes! The Goosebumps show was awesome when I was a kid, it was one of those when everyone used to come to school the next day and talk about it! I haven't thought about Sweet Valley High in yeeeeears!!! But yes, this is for another thread.

I'm trying to remember some of the names of other Point Horror books, I read so many I should be able to remember a few but all I can remember at the moment is how The Babysitter ones were really good and put me off babysitting :P

• 4 years later...

Morning all,

Does anyone remember the Point Horror series for pre-teens/early teens that were published in the 90s? Cheesy as anything looking back, but I loved those books. Between the ages of 11 and 13, they were a great passion of mine and happiness was a Saturday spent with my best friend picking out a new book from WH Smiths!

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I loved the Point Horror books when I was a child. I read them in Dutch, not all of them were translated but at the time I bought all the ones I could find. I don't know about the English covers, but I quite liked the Dutch covers and spines and the way they looked on my shelf. I haven't read a Point Horror book in some time now, but I might go back and revisit some of the books some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  This thread brings back so many memories.  I used to love these books and although I didn't own all of them I had a fair few in my collection.  I think I borrowed the rest either from the library or from friends.

Reading this thread makes me wish I'd kept hold of them now.