Point Horror

Horrorfan

• 1 month later...

I read HEAPS of them when I was about 11 or 12, before graduating to the likes of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and James Herbert. Some of them were pretty chilling! I especially loved the vampire ones...

• 3 weeks later...

Best ones were Point Horror Unleashed, and the best one imo was 'Catchman' by Christopher Wooding.

Amazing book, even though he himself doesn't think its much good.

Haven't read it in years, would love to get my hands on a copy.

Edited by Nollaig
Wrote wrong authors name XD

Best ones were Point Horror Unleashed, and the best one imo was 'Catchman' by Christopher Pike.

I can find Catchman by Chris Wooding on Green Metropolis - would that be the book you mean? See HERE.

• 1 year later...

As we were just chatting about the Point Horror books on another thread, I was wondering how many others read these as teenagers? I used to love the Babysitter books by R.L. Stein (they put me off babysitting jobs forever!! :ditto:)

You beat me to it! Time to flesh out this thread ha.

Yes, the Point Horror series was my first foray into the world of literary horror, i used to love reading all the books and yes i remember the Babysitter series, was practically famous for a while back in the day.

:blush:

I remember they were always checked out of the school library so I had to venture down to the local library to get them. I wonder how many books in total were published under Point Horror as RL Stein seemed to have written about 20 on his own!

Actually i have still kept a core of about 20 Point Horror books for my own collection. I used to own every single book but i threw out the majority of them a good few years back.

<rushes to bookshelf>

Yep, R L Stine wrote the Babysitter series as well as Hit and Run, Beach Party and a few others. Richie Cusack and Diane Hoh wrote quite a few books in the series, too and Caroline Clooney and Carol Ellis were also frequent contenders. Then you had the odd book written by an unknown author and you could usually tell the difference in style and tone with these authors. Oh God, i just saw one of the cheesist entries in the series on my shelf. Brace yourself people:

852528_090602134407_Funhouse.jpg

Oh I remember they all had those little captions at the bottom which were aimed to scare us!

The Funhouse.....You can die laughing!

The Babysitter.....Every step she takes, he'll be watching.

The Beach Party....Some come to party, some come to die.

So dramatic!! :blush:

Oh I remember they all had those little captions at the bottom which were aimed to scare us!

The Funhouse.....You can die laughing!

The Babysitter.....Every step she takes, he'll be watching.

The Beach Party....Some come to party, some come to die.

So dramatic!! :blush:

Oh my God, this sounds really corny but i remember reading the back cover of these books out to my parents or my mates and i would really ham up the description to make it sound like the scariest book ever written. And the front captions are laughable now......lets see, oh yeah 'Dream Date' the caption was "Sweet Dreams.....and rest in peace". SOLD!!

Oh my God, this sounds really corny but i remember reading the back cover of these books out to my parents or my mates and i would really ham up the description to make it sound like the scariest book ever written. And the front captions are laughable now......lets see, oh yeah 'Dream Date' the caption was "Sweet Dreams.....and rest in peace". SOLD!!

:blush:

How did we ever think this sounded like a book we wanted to read!!?? Saying that, we also wore those awful t-shirts that changed colour with our body heat....we were clearly deranged :lol:

I really wasn't a huge fan of the regular Point Horrors - Point Horror Unleashed was where it was at. :blush:

Catchman, as I said earlier in the thread, remains one of my favourite books to this day for it's depiction of insanity.

horror.jpg

I remember reading these when I was a teen - I used to be too scared to sleep sometimes! Some of them were grim.

I used to read some of the 'Sweet Dreams' books too and they were just utter cheese!

I used to LOVE Point Horror books! They were what really started me reading. In fact, I read so many I started to keep a list of all the ones I had read, which then became a general list of all the books I had read and which I still have and still update! *quickly rummages in drawer* Ah, here it is! RL Stine certainly did write a lot didn't he!

I really liked the Carline B Cooney ones about the vampire, I think there were about 3 of them. The main one I remember is Vampires Promise, which was about a girl who moves into a new house and a vampire is living in the attic and it grants her wishes to be beautiful and clever. I loved that book!

Another one I particularly remember is The Stranger (also by Carline B Cooney - she must have been very good!). I think it was about a new boy who started at a school, but at night he turned to stone. My memory of it is a bit vague but I remember being slightly disturbed by it.

I also liked the Nightmare Hall ones, they were all set in a university.

I think I only read one of the Point Horror unleashed ones - Blood Sinister. As I recall it was about a werewolf and I remember one bit

where a woman kills herself by tearing her veins out of her wrists with her teeth! Eeugh!

From Point Horror I moved onto Christopher Pike, who I absolutely love love love!!! Then from there to Stephen King, James Herbert etc. In fact, until I was about 16 I would ONLY read horror books.

Ah I feel all nostalgic now!!

I used to LOVE Point Horror books! They were what really started me reading. In fact, I read so many I started to keep a list of all the ones I had read, which then became a general list of all the books I had read and which I still have and still update! *quickly rummages in drawer* Ah, here it is! RL Stine certainly did write a lot didn't he!

I really liked the Carline B Cooney ones about the vampire, I think there were about 3 of them. The main one I remember is Vampires Promise, which was about a girl who moves into a new house and a vampire is living in the attic and it grants her wishes to be beautiful and clever. I loved that book!

Another one I particularly remember is The Stranger (also by Carline B Cooney - she must have been very good!). I think it was about a new boy who started at a school, but at night he turned to stone. My memory of it is a bit vague but I remember being slightly disturbed by it.

I also liked the Nightmare Hall ones, they were all set in a university.

I think I only read one of the Point Horror unleashed ones - Blood Sinister. As I recall it was about a werewolf and I remember one bit

where a woman kills herself by tearing her veins out of her wrists with her teeth! Eeugh!

From Point Horror I moved onto Christopher Pike, who I absolutely love love love!!! Then from there to Stephen King, James Herbert etc. In fact, until I was about 16 I would ONLY read horror books.

Ah I feel all nostalgic now!!

Ha, i feel the same way about them. I used to own all the books except the Unleashed series. I couldn't bear to throw them all out so i kept a core of about 20, including Teachers Pet, remember that one! I wasn't too pushed about the Vampire stories though.

I started my love of horror with these books and they were one of the greatest series of the 90s. Also, they released audio tapes of certain books in the series around 1993/1994 but for some reason they never came to my local library so i always missed out!

Ha, i feel the same way about them. I used to own all the books except the Unleashed series. I couldn't bear to throw them all out so i kept a core of about 20, including Teachers Pet, remember that one! I wasn't too pushed about the Vampire stories though.

I started my love of horror with these books and they were one of the greatest series of the 90s. Also, they released audio tapes of certain books in the series around 1993/1994 but for some reason they never came to my local library so i always missed out!

I do remember Teachers Pet! :roll: I think that was a good one!

I have many happy memories of spending school summer holidays reading Point Horror. I could get through a book a day! Those were the days.....

They also made me really really wish I lived in America! High school in America sounded so much more exciting than school in England.

Did anybody use to read the Fear Street books by RL Stine as well? They were about the same time but I don't think they were actually Point Horror books.

There was also another series called 'The Power'. They were about a young girl who had psychic powers. I remember one in particular, The Catacombs, being really scary.

yeh i remember reading help me. and that when i got in to them but could not find them anywhere at all. i cant beleive they are children books i thought it was scary.

(ps can someone delete the thread i made up in the children section on point horror. i didnt realise there was a thread already)

I think they're aimed more at the 12-15 year old market for the most part, as they all seem to feature teenagers (to my memory). Personally, I never really found them scary when I read them. There were a few creepy moments, but I quickly moved on to "real" horror from the likes of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and James Herbert and by the time I was 14 or 15, I was long past the Point Horror books in favour of my new "adult-aimed horror" novels.