What's Up in May 2017?

Athena

3 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

We always use the option to deliver to a pick up location now - there are a few post office counters in our town as well as some shops that are included in the pick up locations, and it means we can collect when convenient to us, rather than having to wait in all day for a delivery.

I will do the same next time. 

19 hours ago, Talisman said:

It's brilliant so far - it is much bigger than the old one, with better screen resolution and heaps more storage. These phones are actually really good value for money as they do a lot of stuff like for example, reducing the amount of white light at night time automatically that far more expensive ones do. I am glad I chose this one and think it was definitely the right choice.

I'm glad you're happy with it :). Mine reduces the light too in dark situations, I think that's a very neat feature. On my old phone I had to keep turning the brightness up and down manually depending on whether it was night time or day time.

19 hours ago, Talisman said:

Coran and I are as always though enjoying a quiet weekend. Last night we went to the launch of the Lib Dem candidates election campaign for our constituency. It is always good to meet up and rub shoulders with others of like mind. We hope to spend some time this weekend tidying up the house as we have a lot going on at the moment. We have a new bed arriving on Thursday and have just ordered some new windows as well. I had been hoping to maybe trade up to a better car as there is a new Kia Picanto coming out this month and the one I bought 18 months ago is worth more at the  moment than what I owe on it. They made me a very tempting offer, but what with the new windows and so on, I can't afford everything. I have decided then to pay the car off. Once I have done that and no longer have to pay for that each month I will be able to start saving again and replenish the funds that will be going towards the bed and the windows, which is more important really than another new car.   

I'm glad you're enjoying a quiet weekend. Good luck with the bed and windows, both should make you more comfortable once installed :).

19 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I've had a busy morning so far ... had to collect a delivery from M&S of some new jeans, then picked up other half to go off to the garden centre for some summer bedding plants, back home briefly then out to the local shops to go to the deli and the bookshop (obviously buying a book! :D) and stopped off for a coffee and a quick read too.

Home for the afternoon now, so about to make myself some lunch, then I'm hoping to get some book reviews done and a bit more reading.

I'm glad you're having a good weekend so far :).

My sister and her boyfriend came over yesterday and we had a lovely meal with the six of us :). They spent the night and plan to leave today after lunch, so I plan to spend a bit more time with them this morning. They gave me their books / theses too, so I'll be reading those this next week, trying to have them finished before their PhD defenses.

I spent some more time with my sister and her boyfriend yesterday, which was nice. They left a while after lunch.

My parents also unexpectedly told me this secondhand market (garage sale? Flea market? Car boot sale?) was near here yesterday. It didn't involve any garages or car boots though, it was stalls on a square, hosted by the local scouting. I only had a bit of time to make up my mind about going, because my parents didn't want to go too late. I decided to go with, and I'm glad I did, it was nice :). It did cost me a bit more energy because it was unexpected to me.

I had a busy but nice weekend. I plan to rest most of today. I have an appointment with my therapist nurse.

How was everyone else's weekend?

This weekend I went on my first walk with my partner and his/our dog. Previously his ex walked her (having helped raise her from a pup) and it was good for the dog to keep seeing her old owner, so we were happy to let her continue, but she hasn't bothered in nearly 2 weeks now, so we've started doing it. We went up to a nearby park, and then into a really old disused graveyard on the way back. In the park, Penny normally walks laps with my partner around a training field that's in the middle of the park. I sat on one of the benches to let them do a lap, but Penny wouldn't go more than 50 metres from me - if my partner kept walking, she'd stop and look back and forth between us. It was very cute. She was happy to do her own thing once we were both walking the lap nearby her. The old graveyard was cool too, lots of graves going back to the 1800s.

She's a Jack Russell crossed with something leggy and pointy-muzzled, maybe a whippet or similar. She's a small dog, but long legs, very sleek physique and a very dainty, small face.

I love old graveyards, definitely atmospheric in the older ones, interesting to see recurring names, or which families had money for tombs :giggle: I find them quite peaceful.

Sounds an interesting combination, most crosses seem to have JR in them (or border collies for the larger dogs).  She sound sweet.

I love seeing some of the old names too.

23 hours ago, Nollaig said:

This weekend I went on my first walk with my partner and his/our dog. Previously his ex walked her (having helped raise her from a pup) and it was good for the dog to keep seeing her old owner, so we were happy to let her continue, but she hasn't bothered in nearly 2 weeks now, so we've started doing it. We went up to a nearby park, and then into a really old disused graveyard on the way back. In the park, Penny normally walks laps with my partner around a training field that's in the middle of the park. I sat on one of the benches to let them do a lap, but Penny wouldn't go more than 50 metres from me - if my partner kept walking, she'd stop and look back and forth between us. It was very cute. She was happy to do her own thing once we were both walking the lap nearby her. The old graveyard was cool too, lots of graves going back to the 1800s.

Awww, Penny sounds cute :).

This weekend is a long weekend for a lot of people here, today being Ascension Day which makes it an official day off. So this is a 4-day weekend. Some shops are open tomorrow though I think, especially supermarkets and such. This past week we've been out shopping in another city which was a lot of fun. This weekend it's going to be hot, I'm not looking forward to the heat. At the moment the temperatures inside are fine, but it's warming up outside. It's only morning though, it'll be warmest in the later afternoon (says weather predictions). I plan to rest today and do some chores. I'm feeling quite tired from the past few days. I had a busy weekend and then the shopping trip. So some rest is in order.

Does anyone have any plans for the weekend? Is it just in the Netherlands that today is an official day off?

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy your holidays :)!! Do you have anything special planned?

Hi Athena, just back off two weeks away in Spain a truly relaxing holiday with plenty of sunshine, cocktails, people watching and walking.  Miss it already.

It's a holiday weekend in the UK, but just Monday.  We have a similar weather forecast - it's meant to get very hot and then some storms over the weekend, and then cool down a bit, thankfully, to a more manageable 22 (they're forecasting 28 tomorrow and Saturday).

We don't have any specific plans for the weekend - Coran is doing a church service on Sunday, so we might go down to Portsmouth for the day on the Monday if the weather is still reasonable. It is only 2 weeks until we go to the Channel Isles for our summer holiday though, so I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for visiting the coast there - you are never more than a few miles from it.

Our new bed arrived today - it's one of those adjustable ones in 2 halves that should hopefully help Coran's acid reflux. It will also be good for sitting up and reading, which has to be a good thing.     

Hey y'all!

I'm doing my final bit of studying for my state real estate exam tomorrow. Can't wait to be done with it! Afterwards I'm getting a full body message, compliments of my son! Bless him, he got his first paycheck and thought of me! Then I'll do a bit of shopping and head home. I've spent the entire week studying and haven't left home since we got back from church (out of town) on last Sunday! 

I recently purchased a new computer. Its a Microsoft Surface Pro with a smart pen. I LOVE this!!!! It's lightweight, travels well, extra fast, converts into a tablet, lots of storage and easy to use. Mine has a red keyboard and I ordered a lovely red case to go with it. I never have to leave home without it again! It is the most expensive computer I've ever owned but it was worth it. Its my graduation gift and my "you completed the real estate course" present. My other one was sent to our daughter in Texas where it is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

On 25-5-2017 at 10:45 AM, shirley said:

Hi Athena, just back off two weeks away in Spain a truly relaxing holiday with plenty of sunshine, cocktails, people watching and walking.  Miss it already.

I'm glad you had a great holiday, Shirley :).

On 25-5-2017 at 11:30 AM, Madeleine said:

It's a holiday weekend in the UK, but just Monday.  We have a similar weather forecast - it's meant to get very hot and then some storms over the weekend, and then cool down a bit, thankfully, to a more manageable 22 (they're forecasting 28 tomorrow and Saturday).

How interesting it's a long weekend with Monday over there, instead of Thu-Fri like here. I think it's hot in a lot of places in Europe at the moment. I hope you have a nice weekend, Madeleine :).

21 hours ago, Talisman said:

We don't have any specific plans for the weekend - Coran is doing a church service on Sunday, so we might go down to Portsmouth for the day on the Monday if the weather is still reasonable. It is only 2 weeks until we go to the Channel Isles for our summer holiday though, so I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for visiting the coast there - you are never more than a few miles from it.

Our new bed arrived today - it's one of those adjustable ones in 2 halves that should hopefully help Coran's acid reflux. It will also be good for sitting up and reading, which has to be a good thing.     

I wish you a great holiday in advance :). A bed can be a nice place to read, I hope you'll be comfortable and that the new bed will help Coran feel better.

18 hours ago, Virginia said:

I'm doing my final bit of studying for my state real estate exam tomorrow. Can't wait to be done with it! Afterwards I'm getting a full body message, compliments of my son! Bless him, he got his first paycheck and thought of me! Then I'll do a bit of shopping and head home. I've spent the entire week studying and haven't left home since we got back from church (out of town) on last Sunday! 

I recently purchased a new computer. Its a Microsoft Surface Pro with a smart pen. I LOVE this!!!! It's lightweight, travels well, extra fast, converts into a tablet, lots of storage and easy to use. Mine has a red keyboard and I ordered a lovely red case to go with it. I never have to leave home without it again! It is the most expensive computer I've ever owned but it was worth it. Its my graduation gift and my "you completed the real estate course" present. My other one was sent to our daughter in Texas where it is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

Good luck with your real estate exam :)! I'm glad you're liking your new computer :).

14 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Thanks Athena, hope you're enjoying your weekend too.

Thanks Madeleine, I had a nice weekend too :). Mostly a productive weekend. I ended up doing quite a lot of chores and housework and felt exhausted after it all. The heat here didn't help. I found myself a bit too tired to even read a book. But I plan to hopefully read more later this week.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Virginia said:

Hey y'all!

That sounds like the sort of son I would like Virginia - if I had kids. I am probably too old to have them now, not that I ever felt I wanted them anyway. Thankfully Coran gives a good massage as well though.

Coran and I had a nice quiet weekend sorting out a few things around the house. We went out for lunch yesterday which was nice as well. It was back to work today though and the usual round of cleaning toilets, mopping floors and so on. Still, it's only 2 weeks now until we go on our summer holiday, so at least I have that to look forward to.  

Sitting here in the Atlanta Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta, Georgia, waiting on my flight to Texas. Totally unplanned. DD (pregnant with #6) was diagnosed with diabetes. At this point they can't tell if its gestational or full on. Her hubby installs wind turbines and the job requires that he travels. Her sugar levels are so off that she's just lethargic and its really hard for her to handle 5 little ones when she can't focus. So, mom to the rescue. I'll be out there for two weeks. At least I can help get the house organized for another move, put the babies back on schedule (cause they sense weakness and attack like little rabbit bunnies the moment she lays down) and of course, do some really fun things with them.

And then I'll have to do it all over again near the end of July early August when she gives birth. After this last trip, I can refocus on my personal goals. I've put some things off because I knew that I'd have to leave and didn't want to stop and start all over again.

Airport food is stupid expensive. I had to break down and purchase something as my flight was at 0530 which meant I needed to be at the airport by 0330 at the latest, which meant I've been up since 0130 because I really couldn't sleep. At least this flight doesn't appear to have any babies/kids on it. I always manage to sit in front of the one who loves to kick the seat!

Have a great day all!

• Athena unpinned this topic