Your Book Activity - May 2017

frankie

18 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Hope your book continues to be good. :D

I`m halfway through the Firebird book, A Thousand Pieces of you. I thought it was quite clunky at first, a bit scattered; then, around, page 80-100 or so, I really got into it. :) 

I`ll catch up with my reviews soon. :)

So far it is :)! I just wish to learn a bit more about the character Gabe, but maybe that will happen later in the book :). I love the way the main character's sensory overload is described. You don't often read about that in fictional books.

That's nice to hear :)!

I look forward to reading them :).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Started Set In Stone by Robert Goddard, another book from the English Counties challenge list. :)

Just finished this one.  Blimey, it starts out as one thing, moves in an unexpected direction, and then changes completely halfway through!  Can't say I actually enjoyed it, but it certainly compelled me to keep reading as I had to know what happened next.  And, that leaves me with three books left on the challenge. :)

This morning I finished Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark. Really interesting insight into the OJ Simpson trial. It also looks like I will finish (with luck) The Machine That Changed The World today, which has dragged on a bit for months now. I don't think reading two books at a time suits me, as I end up favouring one over the other and forgetting what the other one was about. :wacko:

This morning I bought Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng as it's only £0.99 on Kindle. Not sure when I will read it though, as I have a few other books I want to get through first. :)

Finished Holding.  Loved it, 4/5.

Now on to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which I'm excited to read; it's had a lot of positive reviews.

On a separate note, I've already planned ahead for my Christmas reading.  It's still May.  I may or may not be a little demented. :lol:

Edited by Onion Budgie

Finished 'A Week in Paris' by Rachel Hore

Starting 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah & 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams' by Jenny Colgan

'The Nightingale' has been recommended so many times by @chaliepud and others I feel bad that I haven't gotten to this read before now, but I only got a copy of it not that long ago.

Edited by Inver

1 hour ago, Inver said:

Finished 'A Week in Paris' by Rachel Hore

Starting 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah & 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams' by Jenny Colgan

'The Nightingale' has been recommended so many times by @chaliepud and others I feel bad that I haven't gotten to this read before now, but I only got a copy of it not that long ago.

Yep, about time @Inver! :P

Im currently reading Salt to the Sea by Ruth Sepetys, good so far. 

A damp miserable Bank Holiday Monday, so settled down on the sofa this morning with half of Arnold Bennett's The Old Wives' Tale to look forward to.  Five hours later (with one brief respite for lunch) I reached the end of one of the most satisfying reads in the English Counties Challenge, and the end of the challenge itself.  A great way to finish off - super book, easily a full 5-stars, and leaving me wanting more.  Which is just as well, as one of my book group reads later this year is Clayhanger!

Ascension Day on Thursday gave us a very long weekend. I finished the book I was reading on Thursday morning. I started a new book and finished that last night.

I started John Irving's "Until I Find You" - a bigger book again, which I love. I look forward to reading this, because I adored the other Irving novels I've read.

Finished Her Husband's Lover by Julia Crouch. Most of it was good, some of it was questionable, and while it was an enjoyable read, it was largely obvious. Not the worst I've read lately, to be fair.

Switching to horror for a bit now, with Last Days by Adam Nevill.

22 hours ago, frankie said:

I finished reading When the Professor Got Stuck in the Snow by Dan Rhodes last night, and started reading The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion. 

I look forward to hear what you think :). I hope you like it better than I did :).

I'm currently reading a maths book, called How Many Socks Make a Pair? by Rob Eastaway and am doubting if I shall start a fiction read alongside it. I usually find it hard to read more than one book at once. I haven't quite been in the reading mood the past few days to be honest. After how much The State of Grace by Rachael Lucas spoke to me, I just don't feel as much like reading other books! I did read Gemma Correll - The Worrier's Guide to Life recently but that was a short book with cartoon illustrations and didn't take me that long to read it.

2 hours ago, Janet said:

I'm currently reading Descent of a Man by Grayson Perry on Kindle, and we're listening to One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie  :)

Intrigued to find out what you think of the Perry as I've just bought it myself.

16 hours ago, willoyd said:

Intrigued to find out what you think of the Perry as I've just bought it myself.

He's a fascinating man.  :)  I read a book about him by Wendy Jones in 2015 which was good. 

Finished HE Bates's Down the River.  He's a much better nature writer than novelist - at least based on my experience of Darling Buds of May and My Uncle Silas, although I've yet to try anything more serious (Fair Stood The Wind For France?).  Loved his descriptions of his childhood experiences on the Nene and Ouse.

Moved on to Georges Simenon's The Misty Harbour, the next in the long ( :smile::smile: ) line of his Maigret novels.

• Athena unpinned this topic