Your Book Activity - May 2017

frankie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Emperor of Storms right now, which is from the Throne of Glass series, and I am literally in love with it! The feelings and conflict is so realistic, which is hard for a fantasy book to convey. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Thinking about starting the Lunar Chronicles afterward, a lot of people on BookTube are raving about it! Hope your having a great May so far :011:

I finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton last night. Really enjoyed it...I wouldn't say I loved it, but I did like it a lot.

Now I've started on Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark (about the OJ Simpson trial). On top of that I have some 'technical type business books' that I'm reading for work as well. 

I borrowed Stephenie Meyer - Twilight: Life and Death from my sister and have read two chapters so far. I'm also making a start on reading my sister's PhD thesis, and her boyfriend's PhD thesis. There's only so much scientific language I can read at once before having to put it down to process, so I'm reading a 'normal' book too :). So far the Twilight book is nice, but I've only read 2 chapters. It's still quite similar to the original Twilight, but I've heard it diverges a lot more later on.

On 19/05/2017 at 5:11 AM, frankie said:

I've started reading  When the Professor Got Stuck in the Snow by Dan Rhodes. Only a few pages in so I have no opinion. 

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. I know it's about Richard Dawkins, who I have great admiration for, but I'm not sure if the book just makes fun of him?

Finished Spandex and the City by Jenny T. Colgan - great fun, pure escapism with a superhero flavour. :D  I've also read a few more chapters of The Stars Look Down.

Decided I'm going to read A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan next.  Been keen to read it for a while, and it was on sale not long ago for 99p, so I've had it waiting patiently on my Kindle for a couple of months and it's made it to the top of my wanting to read next list at last!

I finished Ararat by Christopher Golden. It was disappointing, really. Wasn't creepy at all and the story was quite thin.

Now reading Sometimes I Lie, which I have high hopes for.

On 21.5.2017 at 5:51 PM, Kylie said:

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. I know it's about Richard Dawkins, who I have great admiration for, but I'm not sure if the book just makes fun of him?

Well, he's a bit of a self-important pompous dick in the book, at least so far. Maybe you might not enjoy the book. 

Currently reading Reunion with Murder ( Timothy Fuller ) - a Harvard Professor gets a call from a friend at a reunion, who has woken up covered with blood, and is told that his roommate has been found dead. Published in 1947, it's one of those wordy, literary murder mysteries ; a delight to read. :)

I've finished The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot which I ended up rating as a 4/5 after a slow start. Now started Pure by Andrew Miller and am going to make some sort of attempt at catching up with reviews...:ph34r:

I finished Sometimes I Lie - for the most part is was good, but I didn't really understand the ending and one of the subplots seemed kind of pointless. It was all very unbelievable.

Now reading Her Husband's Lover by Julia Crouch.

On 2017-5-23 at 2:38 PM, More reading time required said:

The curse of the library strikes again. :rolleyes: This time I picked up Stephen King's End of Watch.

* titters*

Still, it's stopped you buying books. :)  For the time being....

Been away on holiday for the last three weeks so got a bit of reading done.

A weekend in Portofino - Holly Greene

Cherringham cozy mysteries episodes 16-18 - Matthew Costello and Neil Richards

Cozy Mystery collection (4 books) - Leighann  Dobbs

The Canal Boat Café - Cressida McLaughlin

Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage - Milly Johnson

On the go at the moment:

Strictly Murder - Lynda Wilcox

Cherringham cozy mysteries episodes 19-21 - Matthew Costello and Neil Richards

A Cornish Affair - Liz Fenwick

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

* titters*

Still, it's stopped you buying books. :)  For the time being....

Yes, I've been pretty good at not buying books lately - mostly due to being massively skint since moving house and having a second child. :rolleyes:  Roll on September and re-mortgage time! :D

I do have a Waterstones voucher to use that I got for my birthday though. I've been in town so rarely lately that I haven't managed to spend it yet!

I've almost finished Holding by Graham Norton, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.  Interesting, sympathetic characters, and a plot that's not exactly twisty, but intriguing enough that you can't wait to learn whodunnit.  

After I've found out whodunnit (probably by the weekend), I think I might start Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.  I like oddball characters, and Eleanor sounds like a fascinating one.  This is a new release, anyone else heard of it and/or thinking of reading it?

I've read 109 pages of Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain by Barney Norris today.  Goodreads tells me this is 38%.  I wasn't sure for the first few pages, but I'm really enjoying it now.  :)

We're also listening to The Blackhouse by Peter May in the car - it's goooood!  :yes: 

10 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Yes, I've been pretty good at not buying books lately - mostly due to being massively skint since moving house and having a second child. :rolleyes:  Roll on September and re-mortgage time! :D

I do have a Waterstones voucher to use that I got for my birthday though. I've been in town so rarely lately that I haven't managed to spend it yet!

Ooh, any idea what books you want yet ? :)

Fingers crossed for September. :)

13 hours ago, shirley said:

Been away on holiday for the last three weeks so got a bit of reading done.

A weekend in Portofino - Holly Greene

Cherringham cozy mysteries episodes 16-18 - Matthew Costello and Neil Richards

Cozy Mystery collection (4 books) - Leighann  Dobbs

The Canal Boat Café - Cressida McLaughlin

Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage - Milly Johnso

I've read a couple of Leighann Dobbs books ; she does some fun cosy/ magical books. :)

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

About to start Claudia Gray`s  A thousand pieces of you. I finally cracked and got a copy. :)

I hope you enjoy it :). I'd be interested to know what you think of it once you've finished it. I borrowed the Dutch edition from the library but didn't get around to reading it before it was due. A lot of Dutch bookbloggers really liked the series, but I haven't heard as much about it from international people.

Forgot to say, I'm currently reading Rachael Lucas - The State of Grace. I randomly found this book at a book shop and bought it based on the fact it featured a girl with autism as the main character. I'm liking it so far, but I'm only on page 32. I was planning to read more this afternoon but instead I got distracted by this forum, blogposts, pretty bookmarks.. I'm going to try to read some in a bit though :).

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy it :). I'd be interested to know what you think of it once you've finished it. I borrowed the Dutch edition from the library but didn't get around to reading it before it was due. A lot of Dutch bookbloggers really liked the series, but I haven't heard as much about it from international people.

Forgot to say, I'm currently reading Rachael Lucas - The State of Grace. I randomly found this book at a book shop and bought it based on the fact it featured a girl with autism as the main character. I'm liking it so far, but I'm only on page 32. I was planning to read more this afternoon but instead I got distracted by this forum, blogposts, pretty bookmarks.. I'm going to try to read some in a bit though :).

Hope your book continues to be good. :D

I`m halfway through the Firebird book, A Thousand Pieces of you. I thought it was quite clunky at first, a bit scattered; then, around, page 80-100 or so, I really got into it. :) 

I`ll catch up with my reviews soon. :)