13 Reasons Why

I've read the book but not seen the TV series, but I can't remember a whole lot about the book (it was good though!) and I really don't know what is suitable for 14-year-olds (it depends on the teenager too, some are more mature than others). However I do remember themes like suicide and bullying play a large role in the book. Have you ever talked about such things with your daughter? My library classes the book as 'D', which is 15 - 18 year olds. It is a book for young-adults and can be found in the YA section of a book shop, so I would think teens younger than 18 should definitely be able to read the book. 14 is a bit younger though and like I said it depends on the individual teen. If you think the subjects of suicide and bullying are hard for your daughter to read about, it might be good to talk with her about that before she reads the book. I have no children and don't know much about parenting though. But there are other people on here who are parents so they might be able to give you a better answer.

It's really difficult to say... I read whatever I wanted as a kid, and I was fine, but it's not the same for everyone. I think reading the book is better than watching the series, as with a TV series, the show is so quick and the events and things are shown in a quick succession and your daughter would not be able to pause before getting to a really horrifying scene. When you read a book, if something really horrifying happens, it's easier to quit reading while you're ahead, you know what I mean? 

I read far worse books before I turned 14... But it's all about the individual. Some are more sensitive than others, and some mature earlier than others. I think if you decide she can get the book, it's important that you let her know that if there's anything that might confuse her or scare her, she can always come and talk to you about it. 

I'm sorry I dont' have a straightforward yes or no answer for you. 

I have this book but haven't read it yet. Like Frankie, when I was young I read whatever I wanted and don't feel it did me any harm. If I read something that I wasn't adult enough to understand the concepts of then I would leave it. Sometimes I would go back to it a couple of years later when I had "connected the dots" and sometimes I wouldn't.

If she has expressed an interest in the book, why don't you both read it and then you can discuss it with her if she wants to?

• 4 months later...

I've just read the book, I can't get into the Netflix series, it deals a lot with suicide and has a few mildly explicit scenes, tbh I wouldn't rate it 18, I'd rate it 16 at most, I was reading books like this at 14, I think it would be important for you to talk to her about suicide etc before and after she reads it though 

• 8 months later...

I read this book at 15 or 16. Now I'm older and I saw the netflix serie. I don't think reading this book too young is very harmful (but this is my point of view), but it is different with the serie. It is a serie for teenagers (or it looks like ? No I think it is, the aim is to sensitize about harassment, rape, suicide... ), but in season 2 for exemple, we could watch a controversial (and violent) scene ._. 

• 6 months later...