The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

chaliepud

On 26/04/2017 at 1:03 PM, Angury said:

Have heard so much of this novel recently. Is it worth the hype?

It was my fiction book of the year last year, so I reckon it probably is.  Obviously it depends on your reading preferences, but I already have an inclination towards historical fiction based on Georgian and Victorian times.  Quite strongly character based too - there is a plot and I thought it a good one, but it's not the be all and end all.  My review at the time is here if it helps - it wasn't very full as I only had time to write a set of mini-reviews at that time, but I think it's a fair summary of my thoughts as they still stand!

Edited by willoyd

Just read your review Will, I don't think the writing is florid at all (which you've quoted some reviewers as saying), and I like the quirkiness that it has too, and there's some sly humour in there, and great characters, especially Cracknell with his earwigs (and moles, ugh).  Certainly not the usual Victorian novel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 11:46 AM, shirley said:

Just bought it so looking forward to reading it.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:36 AM, Madeleine said:

Just started it.

What did you guys think of the book?

On 4/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, Janet said:

I loved it!  :wub: I read it on Kindle, but for £2.99 delivered I might just buy the book too!

Edit - thanks, @chaliepud  :)

Out of interest, what is it about the novel that made you love it?

I ask because I just finished the novel yesterday and thought it was 'just ok.' The writing is good, the plot was ok, the characters were more-than-ok I guess.. but it was nothing amazing. Just a bit confused about all the hype. :P