Wellcome Book Prize 2017 Winner

Angury

The Wellcome Book Prize is an annual award given to works of fiction and non-fiction that cover the theme of medicine, healthcare or illness. This years winner is Mend the Living by Maylis de Kerangal:

https://wellcomebookprize.org/

Her novel follows the journey of a heart as it is removed from the body of Simon Limbeau following a car accident, and transplanted into another persons body. 

I am always on the look out for books involving healthcare, and this novel sounds different. I have just bought it for my Kindle, and was wondering whether anyone else had heard about it/bought it/read it. 

1 hour ago, chaliepud said:

I've not heard of this award, I'll have to take a look into the nominees and see if anything grabs me. Have you read When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks?

I've heard a lot about When Breath Becomes Air - especially how moving it is. It is on my TBR list. Have you read it?

If you're interested in this kind of topic, the past winners and nominees would be a great way to dig deep into this area.

Yes, I read it earlier this year, definitely a unique story; a man who studied literature, then became a neurosurgeon, who then gets a brain tumour, no one else could have been in the position of writing such a thought provoking book. 

I just came back from tea with a friend who told me she read a short extract of the book (When Breath Becomes Air) in a magazine and burst into tears. Sounds like one to read.

Edited by Angury

34 minutes ago, Angury said:

I just came back from tea with a friend who told me she read a short extract of the book (When Breath Becomes Air) in a magazine and burst into tears. Sounds like one to read.

There were some tears, I admit, it would have been difficult not to with the subject matter, but, that was only a small part of the book, there was a lot more to it than simple sentimentality.