Cozy Mysteries

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have never read Agatha Christie. May I be forgiven! 

Is there any order they should be read in and should I go for Miss Marple or Poirot first? 

What about trying The Secret Adversary ? It`s the first Tommy & Tuppence book. :)

4 hours ago, Virginia said:

I feel pretty badly. I just realized that I've not read A. Christie either!!! I've done the movies but not the books. Bad me!

I've got all the David Suchet as Poirot DVDs ; I'd pick those over the books anyway. :)

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Virginia said:

I've now listened to 8 more AR audiobooks and have started on an Donna Andrews, lol! I also have some J. B. Fletcher, Murder She Wrote books on hold at the library.

Hurray ! I`ve got the latest (paperback) Donna Andrews, but I`m saving it for a day when I need cheering up ( along with the latest Rita Mae Brown`s Sneaky Pie Brown and Joanne Fluke`s Hannah Swensen ). :)

Which Donna Andrews is it ? :D

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:34 AM, Little Pixie said:

Oh, and Donna Andrews - she has a series( ` Meg Langslow`)  set in Virginia which is very funny and has great characters. 

Recently finished Murder With Peacocks, just started Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews. Very funny with lots of eccentric characters, great read when you're not in the mood for anything heavy. Thanks again for the recommendation Li'l Pixie :hug:

14 hours ago, poppy said:

Recently finished Murder With Peacocks, just started Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews. Very funny with lots of eccentric characters, great read when you're not in the mood for anything heavy. Thanks again for the recommendation Li'l Pixie :hug:

Aww, you`re welcome. :D

I noticed you were reading them, but didn`t want to be pushy and ask how you were liking them ( I think I`ve pushed enough people into trying them ! :lol:

I`m up to book 20 myself ; it`s in my TBR,waiting till I need a reading kickstart, or for a treat at Xmas. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm so into cozy mysteries at the moment. Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series is my favourite. And listening to some of Agatha Christie's audiobooks; Clocks, narrated by Hugh Fraser a.k.a Captain Hastings. Ooh, I can listen to his voice for a lonnnnng time. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I recently finished the entire series (to date) of M.C. Beaton's Hamish McBeth. I'm also done with her Agatha Raisin series. I am thinking the next will be Ryhs Bowen's Constable Evan's series. I'm also looking for new a Murder She Wrote book.  

• 3 months later...

I really REALLY thought I'd have outgrown my cozy mystery phase but it seems not to be the case, especially in this new season, lol! I came across a new to me series by G. M. Malliet (Max Tudor Mystery). I've already consumed three of them in the past week. I can't seem to break away from the genre. Oh well, I'll just ride it out til whenever, lol!

What I enjoy about Max Tudor is that he's kind of a modern day Father Brown. Set in a little village with quirky inhabitants and dead bodies he seems to fall upon. The difference seems to be that he is brought into the investigation by his friend who is a DCI. That almost never happens! They hate having a civilian, especially a vicar, snooping around. I guess Vicar Max Tudor, its not just his personality and compassion but his background with MI-5. He can get into the lives of his suspects as a vicar AND snoop around for his friend, DCI Cotton. 

• 5 weeks later...

Cozy Mystery books are totally a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't have to think too much while I read them and I love the themes and how easy yet enjoyable they are.

Which have you read?

These are ones that I've read, maybe you can find something new from my list:

The Flower Shop Mystery series by Kate Collins (fun fact: the town is based on the city where I work, near where I live)
Coffehouse Mystery by Cleo Coyle
Books by the Bay by Ellery Adams

I've also read some with the theme of knitting, more on coffee, and others, but I have to look up the titles and authors.

Edited by chesilbeach
Removed link to external site. Please see our forum rules. Also merged topic with existing thread on same subject

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a lovely new author, Amanda M Lee and her Wicked Witches of the Midwest cosy mysteries. :)

Bay Winchester shares a Guesthouse with her cousins Thistle and Clove, with her Mother and two Aunts, and Great-aunt Tillie nearby. They live in a small town in the Midwest USA and are all witches ( the good kind ). Tillie reminded me a lot of the Grandma in the Stephanie Plum books. The books - and short stories - are really, really funny ( there is a ` sarcasm warning`, but I thought it was amusing rather than nasty ). i got into the series in a big way, reading 11 books and 10 short stories. :D

Proviso - I thought Book 2 was a vast improvement on Book 1, though if you start with Book 2, there`s a big spoiler for something which happens in the first book. 

On 1/23/2018 at 5:30 PM, Little Pixie said:

I just found a lovely new author, Amanda M Lee and her Wicked Witches of the Midwest cosy mysteries. :)

Bay Winchester shares a Guesthouse with her cousins Thistle and Clove, with her Mother and two Aunts, and Great-aunt Tillie nearby. They live in a small town in the Midwest USA and are all witches ( the good kind ). Tillie reminded me a lot of the Grandma in the Stephanie Plum books. The books - and short stories - are really, really funny ( there is a ` sarcasm warning`, but I thought it was amusing rather than nasty ). i got into the series in a big way, reading 11 books and 10 short stories. :D

Proviso - I thought Book 2 was a vast improvement on Book 1, though if you start with Book 2, there`s a big spoiler for something which happens in the first book. 

I like the sound of these - I've added them to my wishlist for when I next fancy this type of book. :)  Have your tried the Stacy Justice series by Barbra Annino?  They sound quite similar in style and I really enjoyed the escapism of them, and I think you'd probably enjoy them if you haven't already read them (and the first one called Opal Fire is on Kindle Unlimited, which I know you have at the moment.)

4 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I like the sound of these - I've added them to my wishlist for when I next fancy this type of book. :)  Have your tried the Stacy Justice series by Barbra Annino?  They sound quite similar in style and I really enjoyed the escapism of them, and I think you'd probably enjoy them if you haven't already read them (and the first one called Opal Fire is on Kindle Unlimited, which I know you have at the moment.)

I haven`t heard of those, thanks. :) I gave up Kindle Unlimited a few days ago, but I`m planning to take out a month`s subscription towards the end of this year, or beginning of this year, so I`ve put your suggestion on my `to try` list for then. :)

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Little Pixie said:

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, Athena said:

I just may have to check those out :).

I just bought .......Any Witch Way You Can (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Book 1) Kindle Edition      

Amazon has it on sale for 99 cents.                          

I just finished reading "Any Witch Way You Can" by Amanda Lee and thoroughly enjoyed it. I now have another author to read frequently. There is much sarcasm and humor in the book. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.