Have you read these?

has anybody read any of these books?

Perks of Being a Wallflower

A Child Called It (sreies)

A Mango Shaped Space

When Dad Killed Mom

Shattering Glass

The Schwa Was Here

these are just a few of my favourite Young Adult books, sorry, but its been a while since ive read them so i couldnt tell you the author without some research.

if you have read them, did you like them? :)

I agree, Michelle - I read some of Dave Pelzer's books a few years ago - I really don't think they're aimed at young adults. I found them really harrowing, but having started I needed to continue until I at least knew he was going to be okay.

Purplegrape - could you tell us a little bit about the other ones? I haven't read any of them but I often enjoy reading childrens/young adult titles. :)

I'm not sure A Child Called It is classed as Young Adult?

i figured it must have been considered young adult in some way because i first got it from my middle school library in 7th grade. sorry if its not:blush:

Purplegrape - could you tell us a little bit about the other ones? I haven't read any of them but I often enjoy reading childrens/young adult titles. :)

of course

Perks of being a wall flower- Charlie is a young, impressionable genius who cries more than anyone. He begins writing letters to an anonymous person, recalling things like the death of his favorite aunt and suicide of his best friend. Although Charlie has always been an outcast, it is his first year of highschool, and he is surprisingly more nervous than usual. His brother is a big football star who has gone off to college, leaving Charlie to fend for himself. His sister is a senior this year and believes her younger brother is a freak, and aparently doesn't associate with people of this stature. Because his best and only friend is dead, he has gotten on to entertain himself through working hard in school for a scholarship and reading every book he has ever read twice in a row. He has a wonderful teacher who offers him books to read with summaries to write on the side.

Charlie has a shop class with a boy who begins to make him laugh and eventually at a football game, Charlie gets up the confidence to introduce himself to this boy who's called Patrick, and Patrick's step-sister, Sam. They are both non-judgemental seniors who take Charlie under their wing, and very patiently at that.

Patrick and Sam teach Charlie all about sex, drugs and rock and roll. Patrick is a homosexual who is having a secret relationship with Brad, the quarterback of their football team. Sam is beautiful inside and out, and Charlie loves her, but knows he doesn't have a chance.

Throughout the book, Charlie is touched and cries.

a mango shaped space- Can you imagine mentally seeing numbers and letters in color? How about silver balls cascading through the air when you hear violin music? Thirteen-year-old Mia has always seen colors in sounds, numbers, and letters. She doesn't talk about it to anyone since she's discovered that other people don't have this ability. She has a rare condition called synesthesia, which means that the visual cortex in her brain is activated by the sound of numbers, letters and other sounds. Her "difference" causes her to struggle with math and French in school.

When she finds that there are research and support groups of other synesthetes, she eagerly attends these meetings and devours information about the condition. Her schoolwork and personal relationships suffer as she becomes more involved with the compelling world of fellow synesthetes and the unique things only they can experience. Her brief experimentation with a feigned illness to receive acupuncture treatment to heighten her color perception is well done.

Then her beloved cat, Mango, who has always been prone to wheezing, becomes deathly ill. Mia's trials, which include a break with her best friend and grief over her grandfather's death, provide an exciting story. It was a glimpse into a whole new world for me, and one that I enjoyed thoroughly.

When Dad Killed Mom-

Jenna and Jeremy knew their parents' marriage was in trouble. But no one could have predicted what would come next. Now with Mom dead and Dad in jail, Jenna and Jeremy must re-create a family of their own. But each guards a secret that could send their fragile new lives into a tailspin.

Shattering Glass- “Gail Giles has a firm grasp of high school cliques – and of high school as a dangerous place…Gail Giles says, ‘As a substitute teacher, twenty-five years ago, I overheard three popular girls telling a nerd that he was ‘coming along’ but would need a ‘seminar.’ They had gotten to know him in class and had decided he was too nice and smart to continue being an outsider. ‘Seminar’ meant a trip to the mall to get his hair styled and do some clothes shopping. That started me thinking. What if one of the girls had a darker agenda? What if the nerd had to be sacrificed in order for someone in order for someone else to get power? Why would someone need power so badly? Shattering Glass grew out of these questions.”

The Schwa Was Here-

Calvin Schwa is one of those kids who doesn't get noticed, even when he's standing in the middle of the boy's bathroom singing "God Bless America" while wearing an orange sombrero and a cat costume. When Antsy Bonano does finally notice him, the decide to test the "Schwa Effect," then to make some money from it. They go one dare too far, however, and end up doing penance to a crabby, rich old man with a beautiful blind granddaughter. Fun aside, though, not being noticed can be tough, especially for the Schwa, whose mother disappeared when he was five and whose father seems to be out in space most of the time. As Antsy learns more about the Schwa's miserable life, he's determined to be the one who notices. But the Schwa has something more dramatic in mind.

hope those help:)

I had not heard of the five besides A Child Called "It," but they sound good from your detailed descriptions! Sometimes I wander over to the Teen section of the library looking for something light to read, but I am not sure where to start. These suggestions will certainly be taken. Perks of Being a Wallflower reminds me of a book I read in ninth grade waiting for Drama practice, from Melody Carlson's "Diary of a Teenage Girl" series. Shattering Glass sounds the second-most intriguing; I must be drawn to outcast characters or something!

Thanks for the suggestions, Purple Grape! Did you first read them when you were a teen?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...