Doctor Who Series 10 + New Doctor?

Michelle

I thought it was time for a new DW thread.. just in case anyone is still watching..?! ;)

I for one have been quite disappointed with the show for a while.. I wasn't a huge fan of Clara, nor Capaldi's doctor. I've continued to watch, but I can't say that I remember much of it. However, the trailer for series 10 does look a little more promising. It will be good to no longer have such a focus on Clara, and they do look like more traditional, fun and exciting episodes. I honestly hope that it's a good series, and Capaldi has a good finish.

As for the new doctor, I've been following some of the chat on Gallifrey Base, and there is a lot of hope for a female Doctor.. I'm not sure the BBC will take that risk, but I have to say I would LOVE to see it. :yes:

Thoughts....?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually stopped watching it before the end of Matt Smith's first season, as I found him weird (his face looks like it's melted!) and Amy Pond was just plain annoying. I went back to it when Capaldi took over, and he did grow on me a little, but overall I have found him very disappointing and pretty much unlikable as The Doctor. I also found Clara absolutely awful - couldn't get on with her at all, but to be honest, from what little I've seen of the new assistant that's coming up, I'm not impressed (nor do I like Matt Lucas - i actually feel a little bit sick when I see him - he turns my stomach!). I for one, can hardly wait for the next regeneration, and hopefully we'll gt all new assistants along with the new Doctor.

All that said, we've been rewatching them all, from the start of the 8th Doctor with our boys. Eccleston is still my favourite (how much do I wish he'd done more than one season?!), and I enjoyed Tennant even more this time round, especially his rapport with Rose and Donna (never liked Martha Jones!). So far we've only watched the first episode with Smith, and although we enjoyed it well enough (better than I remembered enjoying it last time), Josh isn't impressed with Smith, and says "I don't like his face! I want the proper Doctor with the spiky hair back - he was cool. Bow ties are NOT cool!"

We'll continue watching, as I really want to see the whole River Song story played out ( I loved that character), but I feel it's all downhill from here for me. :(

I’m looking forward to it, though I’ll admit not as much as I have some previous series.

I liked the relationship between Nardole and the Doctor in the Christmas episode, so having that comedy element in it is a positive and at the moment I’m open-minded to what Bill will be like (at least this time it won’t be another companion lusting after the Doctor!).  

Moffat’s time has been a double-edged sword from my point of view.  It has been one of the most inventive eras, storytelling wise.  For a show about time travel, he has used it far more extensively as a plot device than any of his predecessors, and he has been very clever with some of the things he has done, but at the same time I’ve not generally enjoyed the stories as much as I did the ones in the Russell Davis era.

And whilst Capaldi has been great at times, there is something about his Doctor I just can’t get to grips with.  I really enjoyed Matt Smith’s turn and Tennant and Eccleston were both good before him, but something just doesn’t sit right with Capaldi for me and I can’t quite put my finger on what it is (I’m beginning to wonder if it is because he has tended to have a more combative relationship with his companion, still not sure though…).

I have no idea what Chibnall will be like; the stories he has previously written for both Doctor Who and Torchwood haven’t generally been my favorites, but he might be completely different if he is allowed to set his own tone for the show.   

I can't understand why such a big thing is being made about there being a gay companion. Why does her sexual preference matter? It's not the first time anyway - Cptn Jack Harkness is rather omnisexual (he's just not fussy) and the Doctor introduced him to Alonso (from the Voyage of the Damned episode with the Titanic) as a potential hook-up, as well as Ianto in Torchwood having a bit of a thing with Cptn Jack, and I seem to recall a lizard-looking woman in one episode having a wife too, so it's not as if it's an unusual occurrence, and no big deal was made about any of those characters or plot lines, so why draw extra attention to it this time?

^ Because representation is very important to the people for whom it matters. 

Yes, there have been gay characters in Doctor Who before, Captain Jack being the most obvious, but this is the first time a full time companion will be. 

Small steps and all that...

I quite enjoy Capaldi. I feel like each actor has been a logical progression of the character. Eccleston was self-loathing and indecisive, unable to come to terms with what he did during the time war. Tennant got over it and became proactive, even ruthless and arrogant, wanting to change fixed points in time and exert his will on the universe and losing it when things don't go his way. Smith finally got over the guilt and the depression and allowed himself to really connect with people and enjoy life again, being almost child-like in his optimism, offering second chances and seeking peaceful compromise where Tennant never would have and achieving a place of zen-like acceptance, but after losing so much and suffering so much out pops Capaldi, a hardened and calloused doctor that no longer suffers fools lightly, that struggles to feel emotional attachment and empathy, that has resigned himself to the idea of sometimes sacrificing innocent life for the greater good and killing what and who need be killed with absolutely zero hesitation, to prevent more loss, to keep things from spiraling out of control like his predecessor did. Capaldi is just straight up cool in a way the others haven't been, and it's refreshing. 

Also, Doctor Who has always been in turns beautifully written and an idiotic embarrassment, regardless of who's playing the doctor. Any time I hear somebody say a particular run was better or worse than another I just assume they're only remembering the good and forgetting the bad. 

Edited by davidh219

2 hours ago, davidh219 said:

Also, Doctor Who has always been in turns beautifully written and an idiotic embarrassment, regardless of who's playing the doctor. Any time I hear somebody say a particular run was better or worse than another I just assume they're only remembering the good and forgetting the bad. 

This I do tend to agree with... I do think that overall a particular run or Doctor can work better for you, but there are bad episodes throughout.

I am glad I've never reached a place where I've given up on the show, and I've often found some improves on a later, second viewing. The recent run with Capaldi and Clara hasn't worked well for me at all, but I will come back to it in the future and see if that changes. 

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

This I do tend to agree with... I do think that overall a particular run or Doctor can work better for you, but there are bad episodes throughout.

I am glad I've never reached a place where I've given up on the show, and I've often found some improves on a later, second viewing. The recent run with Capaldi and Clara hasn't worked well for me at all, but I will come back to it in the future and see if that changes. 

I've been less interested in the bigger story arcs so far with Capaldi than I was with Smith, there's just not as much mystery and intrigue and it's not operating on that grand, universe-shattering scale. On the other hand, some of the answers we got for Smith's story arcs were disappointing and/or overly cheesy, and there have been some absolutely stellar Capaldi episodes when taken on their own. Into the Dalek, Listen, Kill the Moon, In the Forest of the Night, The Zygon Inversion, Heaven Sent, etc. If there are three episodes in a season that truly move me emotionally, I call that a grand success, because it doesn't always happen. Series 5 had exactly one, the van gogh episode, one of the best the show has ever done. That and Matt Smith's charisma carried me through it.

In general I wish they would focus less on bombastic, long plot arcs with villains and epic fights and silly looking monsters and instead focus on having a bunch of stand alone, subtle, character-focused episodes, because that's always when the show is at it's absolute best. The Doctor as a character has a lot of intellectual, philosophical, and emotional depth that they just aren't taking advantage of like 90% of the time. If I was writing the show, almost every episode would be like the van gogh episode, or Human Nature/Family of Blood, The Doctor's Wife, etc. 

Edited by davidh219

• 2 weeks later...

I had to think really hard before I decided to watch this new series, I am so glad that I did so enjoyed the first show, thought it had got back to how it should be for me.  Don't know if her asking questions all the time is going to annoy me or not will have to see with time. 

• 2 weeks later...

That last episode had so much potential. It started off well, but I thought the ending was awful - what a cop out. I also really hope the person/thing locked up isn't Missy. I just feel like it's too obvious (although I was thrilled to see her back in the trailers).

Still not sure what I think of Bill/Pearl. I'm not sure how she'd be in an emotional scene - I feel like we've only seen one aspect of her character so far. To be fair, this is only her fourth episode, so I hope she doesn't disappoint. 

I watched it on Saturday (well most of it) for the first time in ages, I agree it did fall apart at the end a bit, getting soppy.  I agree with your theory about who or what is locked up, and it's no secret that a certain character will return.  Didn't think much of Bill either way to be honest.

Well, we're 3 episodes in.. I don't think they're particularly strong episodes, but they've been enjoyable, and I'm now finally getting Capaldi's Doctor. I do think they went for far too much grumpiness before, this is exactly how I hoped an older Doctor would be.. and I think there's even more depth there if they just let it come out. I'm now actually disappointed he's going... whereas before I wasn't even keen on watching. Most importantly, I'm now excited about DW again, I look forward to the episodes, and I'm back to reading the Gallifrey Base forum. :)

As for the vault: 

Spoiler

I don't think it's going to be anything too exciting, but I can't decide if it's Missy or Simm's Master. Apparently he was supposed to be a huge secret, and they almost got away with it until the papers spoiled it. I'm really intrigued to see how we get to see both of them, and especially how they'll react together!

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

As for the vault: 

Hide contents

I don't think it's going to be anything too exciting, but I can't decide if it's Missy or Simm's Master. Apparently he was supposed to be a huge secret, and they almost got away with it until the papers spoiled it. I'm really intrigued to see how we get to see both of them, and especially how they'll react together!

I have not heard of this!

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

Sorry! It was in the papers, and then right at the very end of the trailer following the first episode. 

Oh, I don't really follow the media, and guess I wasn't paying attention. :P

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm interested to see how they make it work, but at the same time I don't want them to make the story arc incredibly complicated (like they did in Sherlock ..).

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, davidh219 said:

Any time I hear somebody say a particular run was better or worse than another I just assume they're only remembering the good and forgetting the bad. 

I'm guessing you never watched season 24! (which was universally rubbish!).

Like others, I've been enjoying this series more than the last two.  The first three stories were pretty good, the last one was a bit weak and contrived, but it wasn't a complete loss.  This week's looks interesting and with some classic villains to come this series is shaping up nicely to easily be Capaldi's best.

• 2 weeks later...

What did everyone think of last nights episode?

I thought it was the best so far. I liked the ending, but the entire episode was good - great mix of humour and plot. I always liked Capaldi as the doctor, but he's really grown on me this season.

It's the first episode I've watched all the way through, and I enjoyed it until it got about 2/3rds of the way along, and then I just started to get bored with it, not sure why really.  But it looks like they're starting to build up to the regeneration now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I've been enjoying the series so far. I really didn't thing I was going to like Bill - the initial trailer for the  series had her coming across as annoying, but over a whole episode I have found her a very interesting character.  I've stopped reading reviews of episodes now, as the mainstream press seems to have completely turned on the programme. That's not a uniquely DW thing, or even a sci-fi / fantasy thing, and some of the criticism is justified, but it does seems that the programme can do no right in some newspaper's eyes.

For me, I don't particularly want to watch BGT or X-factor on a Saturday night, so a chance to watch something different is always welcome.

I thought that episode last night was the best so far. Was hooked to the TV screen from beginning to end. Especially loved

Capaldi's regeneration scene. Genuinely thought it was going to be the real one. Also thought the interactions between Bill and the Doctor were done beautifully well. Some lovely dialogue from Missy as well (particularly about good being an absolute).

Only thing I didn't like was the ending - I hate touchy feeling endings.

Also, where has Missy's vigour gone? :(  It's what made her so loveable.

Edited by Angury

• 2 weeks later...