Doctor Who Series 10 + New Doctor?

Michelle

39 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I watched the Xmas special, first time I've watched it for ages.  It was Ok, John Barrowman definitely livened it up a lot, I never rated Bradley Walsh as an actor and he didn't really do much in this episode either.

I agree, this was just, ok. John Barrowman wasn't in the episode enough and, although 

Spoiler

Bradley Walsh was actually a lot better than I thought he would be. His and Ryan's exits were underwhelming. I was rather surprisd to see John Bishop as the next companion, but, like Bradley Walsh I will leave me judgement.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I watched the Xmas special, first time I've watched it for ages.  It was Ok, John Barrowman definitely livened it up a lot, I never rated Bradley Walsh as an actor and he didn't really do much in this episode either.

6 hours ago, karen.d said:

I agree, this was just, ok. John Barrowman wasn't in the episode enough and, although 

Reveal hidden contents

Bradley Walsh was actually a lot better than I thought he would be. His and Ryan's exits were underwhelming. I was rather surprisd to see John Bishop as the next companion, but, like Bradley Walsh I will leave me judgement.

I really liked Graham/Bradley Walsh, and I thought Ryan/Tosin Cole worked well for the set up they've had for the last two years, but the last two series have been far from being Doctor Who's best and I lay the blame for that squarely at Chris Chibnall's door (this has nothing to do with the Doctor being female, by the way, it is about the show under his direction lacking the polish and sense of fun it had under Davis and Moffat).

It was good to see Jack back last night... 

Spoiler

...but it was a bit odd that his out wasn't in person. In fact, it gets more odd the more I think about it - he spend 19 years in jail to get close to the Doctor, spends all of the episode talking about how great being with the Doctor is, and then phones in his goodbye as he's off to see Gwen Cooper...

*shrugs*

The story itself was okay, but it had too many elements from previous stories - anyone else remember Churchill unveiling his Ironsides?  This story borrowed heavily from Victory of the Daleks, which itself isn't one of the better Dalek stories in existence! 

I liked the design of the new Daleks; yes, they were a little bit iPod/Phone, but they looked pretty good.  Pity they were all destroyed... 

It was a bit of an odd way to end a special, but it did play back to Graham and Ryan's first episode and although the appearance of Grace was a bit cheesy, I did actually find the rest of it a bit moving.

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Hide contents

...but it was a bit odd that his out wasn't in person. In fact, it gets more odd the more I think about it - he spend 19 years in jail to get close to the Doctor, spends all of the episode talking about how great being with the Doctor is, and then phones in his goodbye as he's off to see Gwen Cooper...

I agree, Jack was such a dynamic character, that he just didn-t seem himself for some reason. They could have made a lot more of him in the plot in my opinion.

Spoiler

Also I found that when Ryan was introduced into the programme, his Dyspraxia seemed like an interesting trait for a companion to have. I was interested to see how this would be incorporated into different storylines. However,I think after his first and second episode, this really was never mentioned. It was only until his final episode, that this was reintroduced into the storyline. I didn't expect every episode to be feature his difficulties, but it was like it disaapeared, which is not realistic.

Yes I agree  the ending was a bit underwhelming,

Spoiler
Spoiler

maybe leaving the door open for them to come back?  Rose was also mentioned too, so I wonder if she'll come back, and if Gwen will come back at some point too.

Personally I thought it started to lose it's way towards the end of Russell T Davies's tenure, and Moffatt lost it completely.

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

Personally I thought it started to lose it's way towards the end of Russell T Davies's tenure, and Moffatt lost it completely.

I think Moffat's first two series were fine, the third was disjointed with one half being shown one year (with the exit of Rory and Amy), a Christmas special and then the second half of the series, which introduced Clara, being shown the following year.

Capaldi's series were a bit of a mixed bag, but the writing - for the most part - was still good and his last series, which Moffat wasn't originally supposed to be doing (I believe he took it on so that Chibnall could finish Broadchurch) was actually quite good.

Chibnall's shows have had the best production values by far, but the stories have largely been flat.  The last series had some good moments, and it is going in the right direction, we'll just have to see what happens later this year.

So the Doc is off!  although she's done 3 series it doesn't seem like she's been in the role for long, I think the last series was shorter or split, and the 3rd series is on the way but I think will also be shorter than the usual 10 or so eps.

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

So the Doc is off!  although she's done 3 series it doesn't seem like she's been in the role for long, I think the last series was shorter or split, and the 3rd series is on the way but I think will also be shorter than the usual 10 or so eps.

That's not official yet, but it wouldn't surprise me - three series is about par for most of the New Who Doctors.

Both Whittaker series so far have been 10 episodes and a special, the next series is 8 episodes because of COVID (the last two Capaldi series were 12 episodes and a special, by contrast).

Whittaker has grown on me since her first series, but she's still far from being my favourite Doctor; I just wonder what they will do next...

Going back to a man will prompt calls of the Doctor didn't work as a woman, but going for another woman will attract calls of political correctness gone mad - I don't think the BBC will win whatever they do! (for my own part, as long as they are competent, I don't care what sex they are!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I see Jodie is off next year, along with Chibbers.  

For once, I'm more interested in who is going to run the series than who the new Doctor is likely to be (partially because I suspect I won't have heard of the new actor before, but also because the new show runner will be the one to shape the series for the next few years).

Jodie is a wonderful actor but she hasn't nailed the doctor imo. I have no idea if it's her interpretation or the script but she's come over as ditsy and infuriatingly girly - just what you don't want for the doctor. Add that to generally dull story lines and I lost interest. ( Writing as someone who is old enough to have been watching when the Daleks first invaded London  - from behind the safety of the sofa - and has been an avid watcher ever since.)

I'd never seen Whittaker in anything before Doctor Who, so I didn't know what to expect, and although I have warmed to the character as her series have progressed, I don't think she will be topping my list of favourite Doctors any time soon (I would have said "needy" rather than "girly" btw!)

Chris Chibnall's had written for both Torchwood and Doctor Who previously, but he was never one of my favourites and there are better Who writers out there.

As you say, the stories have generally been dull (which is about the worst charge to level at Doctor Who) but more than that, after the witty and polished dialogue from both Russell T. Davis and Steven Moffat, some of the dialogue in the last two series has been painful to sit through. 

It will be interesting to see what happens next...