Doctor Who Series 10 + New Doctor?

Michelle

As long as they get some decent stories she might have a good chance of it being a success, personally I think it's looking very jaded and she could be the boost it needs.  Wonder what will happen with the companion as Bill seems to be definitely out of it now.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Do Time Lords regenerate at random or have some influence over what they regenerate into? I always thought they had some control, even just on a subconscious level - hence feeling the reason we had thirteen white British men was because the Doctor likes being a white British man.

Here's the problem with a show which has stretched over 50 years.. nothing is really set in stone, and it tends to change, or be handled differently by different writers. I'm not an expert, but I've been following some discussions on Gallifrey Base - apparently some Time Lords seem to have control (Romana apparently 'tried on' a few different ones before choosing), but the Doctor doesn't seem to have this control. He did choose to be a 'War Doctor' at one point, but that was helped by.. whatever the 'sisterhood' was he visited, I can't recall details off hand.

In The Doctor's Wife, he talks about Corsair, a Time Lord he knew well, and he mentions that he kept the same tattoo.. even during the odd occasion he regenerated into a woman. So in that case, it appears to be a case of usually male, but occasionally female.. so maybe they have a tendency to one gender in particular, but it's just that, a tendency?

Also, he's past his usual 12 regenerations, so maybe this set are different?

@Michelle Definitely agree about being past the 12 usual regeneration - if any time is right for a drastic change, it's when he's going into a new regeneration cycle. I like the idea about keeping a tattoo across various regenerations, that's really cool!

13 hours ago, Nollaig said:

@Michelle Definitely agree about being past the 12 usual regeneration - if any time is right for a drastic change, it's when he's going into a new regeneration cycle.

Capaldi was the first Doctor in a new regeneration cycle, because Tennant regenerated twice.  The Timelords gave Smith's Doctor a new set of regenerations when he was dying at the end of The Time of the Doctor.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, vodkafan said:

Was there a Doctor Who Christmas Special and I missed it?  We were so busy playing boardgames we watched no telly at all, and I have only just thought about it....

Yep there was. :)

It was quite a good one too imo. It also involved a little regeneration at the end. ;)

• 6 months later...
On 31/12/2017 at 11:31 AM, vodkafan said:

So the new lady Doctor has arrived?

I'll say! 

IMG_20180719_213756.jpg

Lots of stuff coming out of San Diego Comiccon today, including a new trailer, and it all looks new and fresh! 

Looking forward to this! 

Edited by Raven

• 3 months later...

What are people's thoughts on the new doctor?

I've been watching the new series with an open mind and was actually quite surprised by how much I've enjoyed the episodes so far. Not a fan of having so many companions, but I feel like the new doctor's personality works really well. I also think the episodes so far have been done very well; interesting plot lines which keep you hooked to the end. 

Just hoping for a bit more characterisation of the doctor.

3 hours ago, Angury said:

What are people's thoughts on the new doctor?

I've been watching the new series with an open mind and was actually quite surprised by how much I've enjoyed the episodes so far. Not a fan of having so many companions, but I feel like the new doctor's personality works really well. I also think the episodes so far have been done very well; interesting plot lines which keep you hooked to the end. 

Just hoping for a bit more characterisation of the doctor.

I love the new Doctor and I think the multiple companions are working at the moment (I'm particularly surprised how good Bradley Walsh is) and mostly, I've enjoyed the episodes 

Spoiler

the Rosa Parks episode was the best I've ever watched!

But I wasn't too impressed by last week's episode. It was education over entertainment. So far, the writers have managed to combine the two elements, but the last episode didn't work for me. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode!

I've only seen the first two episodes, but am meaning to catch up (missed one because it clashed with a live Grand Prix and haven't gone back to it since).

Of the two episodes I have seen, I'd say I don't have a problem with a female Doctor, but I'm not sure I like Jodie Whittaker - her performance seems a little forced to me.  Having said that, it took me a while to warm to Capaldi as well, so we will have to see how it goes... 

I'm not loving Jodie Whittaker either, though I do like her as an actor. I also have no problem with a female doctor. (I'd love to see Miriam Margolyes in the role). I find Jodie Whittaker plays a very flustered doctor, always on the back foot and yes a little forced. Hopefully she'll settle into the role though. I loved Capaldi, he was my favourite of the new doctors, so I guess she has a lot to live up to for me.

15 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

(I'd love to see Miriam Margolyes in the role). 

That would be fantastic.

I thought the episode yesterday was the best one yet. I also felt like Jodie was really able to capture the Doctors' persona in this one; she felt more like the doctor to me in this episode than in any of the previous.

I enjoyed the storyline, I thought the multiple companions were used well in the plot and I thought the ending was done in a nice, not-cheesy sort of way.

Also - I loved the character of Kira. She was so sweet.

Like Raven, I have only caught the first couple of episodes. I enjoyed both and look forward to seeing the rest. 

I had expected the first episode to be quite plodding and formulaic, but was pleasantly surprised that it was a 'proper' story, and not just a vehicle to push new characters at the viewer. 

• 1 year later...

Well, this has moved on a bit.

I cannot honestly say I was a huge fan of the last series; from a production point of view it was fantastic, but the writing seemed very flat after the sparkle Steven Moffat bough in both ideas and colourful dialogue, and I still wasn't sure about Whittaker come the end of the series.

Since then I have re-watched the first half of the series and warmed to it a little more, but then series two started on New Years Day and the first two episodes were a marked improvement over anything they did last year.  

Then, after two not so great episodes, came last weeks effort! 

To be honest, I'm still not sure what to make of it - I certainly wasn't expecting the episode we got!

Is anyone else watching?

On 1/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, Raven said:

Well, this has moved on a bit.

I cannot honestly say I was a huge fan of the last series; from a production point of view it was fantastic, but the writing seemed very flat after the sparkle Steven Moffat bough in both ideas and colourful dialogue, and I still wasn't sure about Whittaker come the end of the series.

Since then I have re-watched the first half of the series and warmed to it a little more, but then series two started on New Years Day and the first two episodes were a marked improvement over anything they did last year.  

Then, after two not so great episodes, came last weeks effort! 

To be honest, I'm still not sure what to make of it - I certainly wasn't expecting the episode we got!

Is anyone else watching?

I'm still watching and think that this series has been a lot better than the last one. It has had a good mix of fun episodes and teaching viewers about history. I almost spilt my tea after the surprise appearance in the last episode, I wasn't expecting that, but I'm very excited for future episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

I am yet to watch ANY of the new series, and I have to wonder if my lack of enthusiasm to do so is fair or not. It doesn't help that husband isn't a Whovian, so I have to time when I watch them!. 

Glad to read that the new series appears better, I enjoyed the last series, but felt it lacked a non specific 'something', and the referencing (to my mind) of the Doctor's gender was starting to grate.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, Chrissy said:

I am yet to watch ANY of the new series, and I have to wonder if my lack of enthusiasm to do so is fair or not. It doesn't help that husband isn't a Whovian, so I have to time when I watch them!. 

Glad to read that the new series appears better, I enjoyed the last series, but felt it lacked a non specific 'something', and the referencing (to my mind) of the Doctor's gender was starting to grate.  

I'm still enjoying this series, to be confusing and not as powerful as previous conclusions to other series.

• 10 months later...

John Bishop? Didn't see that one coming!

Not really seen him do anything other than stand-up, so I don't have any opinion of him as an actor. 

Given New Who has form when it comes to making unexpected choices for new companions, I'll wait until I've seen him in the show before passing judgement!

I watched the Xmas special, first time I've watched it for ages.  It was Ok, John Barrowman definitely livened it up a lot, I never rated Bradley Walsh as an actor and he didn't really do much in this episode either.