Doctor Who Series 10 + New Doctor?

Michelle

Hi, not sure if anyone is still chatting on this thread, but I thought that even though I'm not a big fan of Peter Capaldi (Matt Smith and David Tennant are my DR's) this was his best series and I really liked him after struggling to warm to him in the previous series'. I think part of the problem was the chemistry between him and Clara Oswald wasn't there. However, I've loved the introduction of Bill Potts.

Which leads me to the final episode of the series. This was a great, but also frustrating episode because of a few reasons

Spoiler

1. Because Bill went off with the girl she fancied from episode 1 of this series, does that mean she's not coming back? If she isn't, then I think it's a great shame, because in my opinion, she has been the most believable, most well rounded companion ever.

2. I was lead to believe that Missy and the Master were the same person, so how can you explain why the Master appeared alongside Missy?

3. The appearance of William Hartnell, was a stroke of genius, but does that mean that he is the new Dr now?

Will anyone watch the next series? Who do you think the new doctor will be?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still watching!

I thought the last two-parter was excellent, although the first part was partially ruined by in-trailer spoilers and other material put out by the BBC.

Looking forward to the Christmas special now.

Spoiler

- Chris [Broadchurch] Chibnal takes over for the next series, and apparently he has pitched a five-year plan for the series.

- No news on a new Doctor yet, but the bookies have stopped taking bets on Chris [Death in Paradise] Marshall (I think they did the same thing with Tilda Swinton as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything!)

- Moffat has left the door open for Bill to return, there was a line along the lines of "So I can be human again?" to which Water Girl said yes, but I don't know if she would fit in with the five-year plan (if there is one!)

27 minutes ago, Raven said:

Still watching!

I thought the last two-parter was excellent, although the first part was partially ruined by in-trailer spoilers and other material put out by the BBC.

Looking forward to the Christmas special now.

Hide contents

- Chris [Broadchurch] Chibnal takes over for the next series, and apparently he has pitched a five-year plan for the series.

- No news on a new Doctor yet, but the bookies have stopped taking bets on Chris [Death in Paradise] Marshall (I think they did the same thing with Tilda Swinton as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything!)

- Moffat has left the door open for Bill to return, there was a line along the lines of "So I can be human again?" to which Water Girl said yes, but I don't know if she would fit in with the five-year plan (if there is one!)

Thank you for clearing that up Raven 

Spoiler

I do hope that Bill comes back! It wasn't clear when she went with her g/f that she would come back, especially considering that she was a Cyber person, it seemed very unlikely that she would come back. How would you convert back into a human if you were changed to a cyber person.....something to think about!

Who is Chris Marshall? The bloke from 'My Family'?

I have not liked many of the episodes for this season and the last episode drove me to distraction.  I think I will have to think about watching the new series - ok it depends on who it is going to be I suppose.

I loved the opening episode of this series, the rest hasn't been amazing as such, but has been a great improvement on the previous two. I also think the relationship and chemistry between The Doctor and Bill has been really good.

@karen.d..

Spoiler

With regards to the two 'Masters', there has been multiple Doctor stories before. This is a time travelling show at heart, and so it's easy for time streams to sometimes get mixed up. :)

The general impression I'm getting is that although Moffat left Bill's story open, she's definitely gone - which I think is a great shame.

Nope, it doesn't mean that's the next Doctor - it's thought that Capaldi's Doctor has come across the 1st Doctor just before *his* regeneration, and that they will help each other accept moving on. It's something a lot of fans of the classic series love, but I agree it's a bit confusing if you don't know much about the classic series.

If it's fitting in where the fans think, you might want to watch The Tenth Planet, which is on YouTube.

I have enjoyed the whole series, although they did tail off in the middle there for me. The last two-parter however, for me anyway, more than redeemed the whole series. It seemed to have a little bit of everything in it. Particularly liked the nerdy joke about the "de-materialisation unit", which to my mind anyway looked like a flux capacitor from a delorian! I do hope that Bill returns (as I understand it, she was only signed up for one series) as I did like the character. I guess it all depends on who is playing the next Doctor.

6 hours ago, karen.d said:

Hide contents

Who is Chris Marshall? The bloke from 'My Family'?

Spoiler

Yes.

I've enjoyed most of this series, but there have been some miss-steps. 

Watching the Bill/Doctor relationship develop over the course of the first part of the series was good, but the mid-season three-parter fell at the final hurdle (after quite a good build-up). 

Also, I'm hoping Mark Gatiss will be moving on with Moffat as Empress of Mars was in equal measure predictable and dull (even with the inclusion of Alpha Centauri!).

The two-part finale, though, I think will stand up as being one of the best ends to a series in years to come, even if you know how it turns out.  The first part built to a really chilling climax and he second part, unlike a number of final episodes over the last few years, didn't fall flat on its arse and actually delivered.

Overall, not the best series since Who returned, but it was certainly Capaldi's best and I will be sorry to see him go.

Edited by Raven

• 2 weeks later...

The new Doctor is going to be announced tomorrow after the men's final at Wimbledon - Kris Marshall was mentioned today; I hope not, he didn't do much for Death in Paradise; in fact I think Ben Miller would be a better choice for the Doctor.

I'm a little scared of this thread now, because I'm so annoyed by some of the hatred I've seen on social media. :( Personally, I think that it's a brilliant idea, and it's about time. The series has struggled recently, and I'm now excited by a new start.. new showrunner, new Doctor, and a change! I'm still baffled by some people's reactions.. the character of the Doctor is a time travelling, regenerating alien, so why on earth can't he regenerate into a female... or any shape or form wanted?!

I was in the minority when Capaldi was announced.. I hadn't seen The Thick of It, and for some reason he just didn't work for me (although the last series was much better). I watched the tiny clip of Jodie, and immediately grinned.. to me, she looks great, and just right. I for one am now really looking forward to this! :)

I think this will be make or break for the show - either it'll be a disaster, or it'll be great.  I hardly watched any of the last series, as I think I've finally outgrown it, but it'll be interesting to see how it works.  Wonder what will happen with the assistant though?

It has to be the right actor in the role - the gender really shouldn't matter. Any one making a big fuss prior to seeing her in the role is just daft! 

Since the Eleventh Doctor, in The Doctor's Wife casually mentioned his Time Lord mate, Corsair had been different genders seemed like a good hint that a female Doctor was on the cards. However it all turns out, it should be interesting viewing. :)

My default reaction all along has been that I didn't want a female doctor, because I feel it's only being done for PC purposes and not because the character progressed naturally in that way. However, I will admit I've only seen Season 1 of Capaldi and so there may well be groundwork set for that progression in the Doctor. If so, grand, though I'm not sure I'd ever buy it wasn't just a PC thing. I have no issues with the Doctor being female, I have issues with using a classic character for a PC agenda. That attitude, however, does probably come from the perspective of a fairly privileged white female (I've never knowingly been discriminated against for anything other than my weight and personality) so to me the question of whether the Doctor 'should be' female has literally nothing to do with equality or strong female characters, and everything to do with credible, logical character progression (or rather, I should say: that's the perspective I am speaking from) :)

I'm not even thinking about it as being done for PC reasons. For me, if you think about the character, why should The Doctor always be male? 

If any thing, I think it's been done because the show needs a change. I know far too many people who haven't enjoyed, or watched, the last few series, despite everyone saying what a great actor Capaldi was. I've watched, but I couldn't think of one male actor who would have made me excited about a new Doctor.. but this has! :)

The Master became Missy.. it worked for some, and not for others, but it wasn't seen as a huge deal.  I'm happy to wait and see how it's handled in the show, bu the pointers were all there, especially in the last two episodes. 

I have to agree with Noll - after all, the way things are going lately, with practically every TV drama being female dominated, the alpha male seems to be getting more and more emasculated, or at least severely endangered!  I haven't watched that much of the last series - only 2 or 3 episodes, and I think a lot of the problems lie with the writing, and  the seemingly incomprehensible plots (going as far back as Matt Smith, when I did still watch it every week).  I think it's looking distinctly tired now, there is so much other sci fi out there and time travel isn't even a novelty any more, so maybe casting a woman will give it a bit of a boost and refresh it.  I have nothing against Jodie Whittaker in person - she was very good in Broadchurch and as the new Who writer also wrote Broadchurch I don't suppose it was that difficult in choosing Capaldi's successor.  I hope for her sake this doesn't kill her career, and she's not getting abused on social media as often happens now over the slightest thing.  Best to take a wait and see approach, and good luck to her. 

51 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'm not even thinking about it as being done for PC reasons. For me, if you think about the character, why should The Doctor always be male?

He shouldn't, inherently, which is why I think if it makes sense in the context of the show for the character to progress that way, then fine. Much like the Peter Pan Doctor of Matt Smith regenerated into a slightly darker, tougher Doctor because he decided it was time to stop running from things. At least, that's how it was at the beginning of Capaldi's reign, as I say, I didn't watch his second two seasons. I thought he got too silly, I wanted him to be tougher. If anyone has seen Tim Burton's Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), I always saw the darker, Scottish-accented side of the Hatter as being Capaldi's Doctor. This slightly mad, angry, dangerous side that had come out. Unfortunately being a family show, I think quirkiness/silliness was always going to win out. Anyway, my point is, the only qualm I ever had with a female Doc was it not fitting in with the story/character and being done for PC reasons, and if that's not the case, that's cool. I do like the look of the new Doc though, I will admit. I'll watch a bit of what she does, to see what its like.

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

It has to be the right actor in the role - the gender really shouldn't matter. Any one making a big fuss prior to seeing her in the role is just daft! 

Since the Eleventh Doctor, in The Doctor's Wife casually mentioned his Time Lord mate, Corsair had been different genders seemed like a good hint that a female Doctor was on the cards. However it all turns out, it should be interesting viewing. :)

I agree, gender shouldn't matter. Jodie Whittaker has proven herself to be a great actress in things like 'Broadchurch', so I think she should be given a chance. As someone was saying earlier in the thread, it takes guts to make the decision to take on the role being the first female Doctor, because of potential negative reaction she might get by some fans but  I think going against the tradition of having a male Doctor, is a good thing. It'll definitely be interesting viewing. I do wonder now if Bill is going to come back. Could a female Doctor mean the introduction of a male companion? In general don't care about the gender of the companion either, but I really hope the writers bring back Bill. She's the best companion the programme has had, since Rose Tyler in my opinion.

Well a female doctor might confuse the Daleks for a little while. :)....and it's a good thing perhaps that River Song is already dead because she might have been a bit perplexed... :rolleyes: .OK sorry now I have got those thoughts out of the way I can be serious.

I can't remember when they first started talking about that the Doctor possibly could/might/should regenerate into a female....I always thought that Doctor Who is a concept (ideas) show first and foremost, and I don't see anything wrong with the concept- I like the concept .  It has always been the individual Doctors that I either liked or disliked. I never liked Capaldi. 

I agree with Madeleine that the series has been tired for a while now. It was binned before for several years and got resurrected, and they put much more into the relationships with his assistants into it. I got so so sick of Clara Oswald and her problems.

I am very curious about what the new Doctor will turn out like personality wise. I am very sad that she seems to be getting so much negative feedback before she has even started

I don't understand the negative feedback, wait, watch and see.  I am looking forward to seeing what she brings to the show.  To be fair she cannot be any worse than Peter Capaldi. I just did not get on with him at all. 

I will definitely give the show another go now, personally I feel it is already lighter or breath of fresh air, may be better way of saying it.

I confess, I'm really excited about the casting choice for the 13th Doctor - I've waited my whole life for them to cast a woman in the role. When you think about it, there have been 12 (13, if you count John Hurt!) white men in the role since it started, it's only law of averages that the Doctor would eventually regenerate into a female form, and I'd say there's a very likely chance the 14th Doctor will be either black or Asian - again, law of averages, rather than PC casting!

We haven't caught up with the most recent season yet, as we went back and watched all the episodes since the reboot with Eccleston with the kids. We were going to leave the new casting as a surprise for the kids when the Doctor regenerates in the Xmas special, but Xander was desperate to know, so today I showed him and Josh the promo vid that shows Jodi Whittaker. They were both absolutely over the moon to have a lady Doctor - Xander actually said, "At least! It's about time - after all, the Master became Missy!"

Turns out, it's not just little girls who have been waiting a long time for this - some of the boys think it's been a long time coming too!

17 hours ago, Kell said:

it's only law of averages that the Doctor would eventually regenerate into a female form, and I'd say there's a very likely chance the 14th Doctor will be either black or Asian - again, law of averages, rather than PC casting!

Do Time Lords regenerate at random or have some influence over what they regenerate into? I always thought they had some control, even just on a subconscious level - hence feeling the reason we had thirteen white British men was because the Doctor likes being a white British man.

I'm still intrigued to see what it's like with the new actress. I'm warming to the idea gradually, though still feel it's a PC move. Anyway, Matt Smith will always be my Doctor, so I'm not too pushed what they do with the character from here on in.