Frequenty Asked Questions

Athena

GETTING STARTED...

Q. I'm new - where should I go first?

Take a look through our Rules & Guidelines. We are a friendly forum, and keeping to these Rs & Gs helps to keep things running smoothly.

Next, start up a thread in the Introductions section. Come and say hello, tell us a little bit about yourself and what you like to read.

Q. Why are some threads' icons in bold?

These show that you have not read all the new contents of that section / thread.

Q. How do I clear all the unread posts?

Click the 'Mark site read' at the top right corner. NB On this forum it only takes 1 click to mark all unread as read in this way ~ caution is advised!

Q. How do I find any unread posts?

In the top right hand corner of your screen, underneath the search facility click 'Unread Content'. Alternatively you can go to the Activity tab and click on 'Unread Content' there.

POSTING...

Q. How do I edit my posts?

At the bottom of your post is an 'Edit' button. Just click on it and edit.

Q. Why can't I edit my post?

Until you have made 10+ posts we restrict what you are able to do on the forum. If you have 10+ posts and still cannot edit, contact a Mod.

Q. How do I add a link into my text?

Click on the 'chainlink' icon in the reply box. It's the fifth icon from the left, just after these four: 'B', 'I', U, S. If you click the icon, a box will appear. You can fill in the URL there (the website address) and the text you would like the link to cover. Leave it blank to use the URL in your post instead of text attached to the link.

Q. How do I use the "spoiler" feature?

Click the 'eye' icon in the reply box, you can find it next to the 'emoticon' icon. If you click this icon, a Spoiler box will appear in the reply box. Type your spoiler in the Spoiler box.

Q. How do I use the quote button?

Press the 'Quote' text underneath the post if you want to quote a single person. The quote will appear in your reply box and you can reply to the quote.

Q. How do I quote only a part of the quote?

You select the part of a post you want to quote, then click the 'Quote This' text that appears.

Q. How do I split up a quote in my reply into multiple quotes?

If there is a quote in your reply you want to split up into multiple quotes, put your cursor where you want to split the quote, then press 'Enter' a couple of times. This should split the quote.

Q. How do I use the MultiQuote feature?

If you want to quote multiple people, use the MultiQuote feature. It looks like a '+' sign. Click on as many as you want to quote. Once you are done, click the box that appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, to make the quotes appear in the reply box.

Q. How do I delete a quote from my reply?

If you want to delete a quote from your reply, hover over it with your mouse, then click on the arrow icon that appears at the top left corner of the quote. Then press 'Delete' on your keyboard.

Q. How do I tag someone?

You type @ membername (without spaces). A box should pop up with the available membername(s) and you click on the one you want tagged.

Q. How do I find out if a thread has already been started on the topic I’d like to discuss?

Take a look through the threads in the relevant section, or use the 'Quick Search' facility at the top right hand corner of your screen. You can carry out an 'Advanced Search' by clicking the symbol (it looks like a magnifying class) found just to the right of the quick search function.

Q. How does the post count work? (i.e., sometimes when you make a post it doesn't count towards your total, depending on where you post.)

Certain areas of the forum do not increase your post count, i.e. the Quiz Room / Thread Games Jokes threads. The rest of the forum should increase your post count each time you post.

YOUR PROFILE...

Q. How do I edit my profile/signature/avatar?

Click your user name at the right top, then click on 'Profile' (this brings you to your profile). On the right hand side you see the text 'Edit Profile'. Click on this.

If you want to change your avatar, click on the icon right next to your avatar while you're viewing your profile. This brings up a box where you can upload your own avatar or import one from a website online.

If you want to add a Cover Photo, click the text 'Cover Photo' to the top right while viewing your profile.

To change your signature, click on your user name at the right top of the screen, then click on 'Account Settings'. Then on the left-hand side, click  'Signature'.

Q. How do I change the wording under my avatar?

The wording changes according to the number of posts you have made. Once you have made over 1000 posts you can change the wording yourself. You can do this on the Edit Profile page.

Q. How does the star system work? i.e., how many posts does one need to make before they get more mini squares or have the text under their name change?

Currently the block system works with; Up to 10 posts = 1 block, thereafter the settings change at each milestone posting ~ the milestone numbers are a surprise!

Q. What are the other titles in different colours?

These tell you if a member is supporter, a moderator or an admin.

Q. How do I change the title of the book I'm reading under my avatar?

Go to your Profile page by clicking your user name on the top right, then click 'Profile' (or click on your avatar if you have one). Click 'Edit Profile'. In the middle of the screen is the box 'Reading Now'. Save the changes you make by clicking on the 'Save' button at the bottom of the edit profile box.

GENERAL...

Q. Why can’t I send/receive private messages?

You are prevented from sending or receiving Private Messages until you have made 10+ posts. If you are still unable to after this time, contact the Mod Squad.

Q. How do I report something that concerns me?

If you hover over a post, the text 'Report post' appears at the top of the post. Click this to alert the moderators to your concerns. If it does not appear for some reason, contact one of them via PM.

Q. Where did my post go?

Occasionally we move, merge, archive or delete posts. If you have any queries about a missing post, contact the moderators or post in the Ask a Mod topic.[/b]

Q. I have a question that hasn't been answered. What do I do now?

Contact us directly or post your query in the Using The Board section.

Q. What is a supporter?

A supporter is someone who pays a yearly fee in support of the forum. This allows them access to a separate restricted section of the forum where occasional competitions and giveaways take place.

Q. How do I become a supporter?

Go to the Supporter Membership section, you will find the information there.

Edited by Athena

• 2 years later...

Hi, I seem to be having trouble accessing some threads, mainly the book blogs and Group 
reads (and also Ask A Mod).  This is only since the New Year, and happens on both my home pc and the work pc.

Any advice would be lovely, thank you!

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Hi, I seem to be having trouble accessing some threads, mainly the book blogs and Group 
reads (and also Ask A Mod).  This is only since the New Year, and happens on both my home pc and the work pc.

Any advice would be lovely, thank you!

When you say trouble accessing them, what actually happens, does the page just not load? And do you use the same internet browsers at home and work?

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I have to use Chrome at home, I just can't access these threads, nothing happens ie the cursor doesn't change to the little hand, although it seems OK this morning.

That is very strange. I’ve checked all the links via Chrome and it seems ok at the moment for me too. If it happens again could you send me a message straight away and I’ll contact our host to see if they can find the source of the problem. Hopefully it’s just corrected itself though! 

• 1 year later...

I'm unable to follow topics to get notifications of posts. Ones I've followed in the past still work. Is this just me (I've tried it on both a tablet and laptop) or is it a general problem?

It comes up There is a problem loading this content

Edited by poppy

2 hours ago, poppy said:

I'm unable to follow topics to get notifications of posts. Ones I've followed in the past still work. Is this just me (I've tried it on both a tablet and laptop) or is it a general problem?

It comes up There is a problem loading this content

It sounds like part of the general slow loading problem. Someone is working on it at the moment so hopefully it will be fixed soon!

On 17/02/2021 at 10:16 AM, poppy said:

Thanks Hayley, it's not a biggie.  I thought it might be something I'd done with my cookie settings or otherwise... something I could adjust :smile:

I wish I could tell you it was! (We’re making good progress towards the move though, I spoke to the person who’s working on it earlier and he said we’re 90% there!)