Overheard in the Street

A thread for things you don't mean to overhear, but do...

Guy in pub: He's been out with some real stunners, but also some complete ogres...

Girl in same group: I don't like that; calling a woman a 'stunner' is objectification...

?

I really don't know if this will get deleted or not, but this is the true story of my favourite ever "overhead" conversation...

The company I work for manufacturers radio products, so occasionally we have to test their range to make sure they cover the distance we state in our product literature.

The only free space near where I work, that has a good line of sight, is the grounds of the local collage.

So there I was, one sunny summer afternoon, trying to workout if our latest product was a wolf or a dog, when I overheard some passing girl utter the following nugget to her friends:

Girl: She said he did it through her tights, so it doesn't count...

That is all I heard of the conversation, put on that what spin you will.

[apologies to anyone who has just sprayed their monitor with coffee]

My favourite ever overheard part of a conversation was in a shopping centre at the height of the Twilight book and film popularity (and in a local west country accent)

"It's like them people that reads those vampire books, they'd s*** 'emselves if they met one in real life"

I detected no hint of humour in tone and the statement was met with straight faced agreement by the companion.

• 3 months later...
On 07/04/2017 at 3:50 PM, chesilbeach said:

My favourite ever overheard part of a conversation was in a shopping centre at the height of the Twilight book and film popularity (and in a local west country accent)

"It's like them people that reads those vampire books, they'd s*** 'emselves if they met one in real life"

I detected no hint of humour in tone and the statement was met with straight faced agreement by the companion.

LOL. She was a hard woman and no mistake. 

On 07/04/2017 at 0:27 AM, Raven said:

I really don't know if this will get deleted or not, but this is the true story of my favourite ever "overhead" conversation...

The company I work for manufacturers radio products, so occasionally we have to test their range to make sure they cover the distance we state in our product literature.

The only free space near where I work, that has a good line of sight, is the grounds of the local collage.

So there I was, one sunny summer afternoon, trying to workout if our latest product was a wolf or a dog, when I overheard some passing girl utter the following nugget to her friends:

Girl: She said he did it through her tights, so it doesn't count...

That is all I heard of the conversation, put on that what spin you will.

[apologies to anyone who has just sprayed their monitor with coffee]

One can only speculate. 

I guess the range of possibilities is narrow. 

😂 ☺ 😁 

• 2 years later...

Not overheard, but a conversation I had with a colleague this morning:

Me: Oh, Eddie Large has died...

Colleague: Who's he?

Me: He was one half of Little and Large in the 80s

Colleague: Oh, right. Which one was he?

Me: ...

• 4 months later...

Two older women (late 50s/early 60s) in the street yesterday morning (this is deep in well-to-do Radio 4 country) who I think were discussing a relative's new girlfriend:

Woman One: Well, she is English...

Woman Two: Good, good...

Woman One: But she's from the North, so I cannot understand a word she's says...