Athena

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Hmmm, it's an odd problem. I can see a : ) (without spaces), so a :), but there is no mountain picture for me, it just looks like :). Could a few other people check what Frankie's smiley in this post looks like to them?

As a test, here's what the :), emoticon should look like, if properly used: :smile0: (can you see this one?). The thing is, with this new software it is necessary to put a space after each emoticon tag, so you type :). and then a space, to make the emoticon appear: :smile0: (space). If you type :smile0: and then a punctuation mark such as a dot or a comma, : and ), stays :). The same for any of the other emoticon: :(. :D. :friends3:. And so on. I find it a bit awkward as I usually type a dot (.) after an emoticon, but I don't think there is anything we can do about that.

The ones before the upgrade, that sort of makes sense as I had to remove some double emoticons, so that could've caused that. I can't easily fix that, unless by going in and editing every single post to make the emoticons appear (by retyping them and pressing the spacebar after each one, then once it turns into an emoticon remove the space if needed). I'm willing to do that if it's only a couple of posts, but if it's multiple threads that have this problem, it would be a lot of work. Each member can edit their own posts, provided they are not a new member, so anyone feel free to edit their own posts to fix the emoticons if they want to. I see some of my posts in your thread are messed up too. It doesn't bother me hugely, but if it matters to you I'll edit my posts in your thread and the others in your thread (since it's just two pages). I don't mind editing the posts in your thread because it's only two pages if it's the only one with the problem, but if this problem is, as I suspect, present in multiple threads, it would be too much work to edit all of the posts in all of the threads.

You're welcome, I'm glad you like it :smile0:.

I can see the smilies @Athena, I'm on safari. :)

Okay, I *think* I've fixed the issue with the emoticons. It seemed the system was getting confused when there was both a .gif and a .png file present in the folder, thinking one of them was HD and the other SD while they were in fact almost the same image. I've gotten rid of the doubles and reuploaded the ones affected, then swapped them with the originals. I've also divided up the emoticons into 4 groups instead of 2, which should hopefully make things a bit more manageable and organised.

I don't know what will happen to old posts, I'll go through Hayley's thread and see what I can find there.

EDIT: I think I've fixed all the smilies in Hayley's thread. I don't know about any other old threads though, it's possible there are missing smilies in some of those.

Please let me know if you (any of you) are still having issues or see missing emoticons.

Edited by Athena

That's odd. Could you email me the exact post you're trying to make? Michelle and I have got 500 server error once before too, but we are unsure what caused it, it seems to only happen rarely and only with specific posts we try to make, we haven't been able to figure it out yet. So far we've gone around it by splitting up our posts into multiple posts. I'll PM you my email address.

I need a copy too please. The server support people say it's to do with a security issue on the server, but I can't see for the life of me why certain posts are setting it off. They've gone quiet, so I need to let them know it's happening again.

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

I need a copy too please. The server support people say it's to do with a security issue on the server, but I can't see for the life of me why certain posts are setting it off. They've gone quiet, so I need to let them know it's happening again.

I'll send it to your email shortly, Michelle, silly me just tried to BCF message you and of course got the error message! :blush:

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

Sent :)

Have managed to post in two sections as per Gaia's advice. 

I have also tried to post several times and was not permitted. It seems to be at random that I am prevented. Also, I have tried to quote a post and was not permitted.

Edited by muggle not

I'm trying to deal with the server support team, and I'm finding it the most frustrating thing. It seems a ridiculous level of security if we can't post normal posts! :banghead:

If anyone tries to post, and gets a '500 Internal Server' page, can you please email me what you were trying to post - bookclubforum1@gmail.com Thanks

Added: Can you also let me know what your IP address is, as this helps them pinpoint the error. You can visit http://ip.liquidweb.com/ to find it. 

Edited by Michelle

@Athena I can see all the emoticons in tests 1 and 2. The only ones I can't see on this page are the last 2 on your post at the top of the page. And thank you so much for fixing my thread when you're already so busy! 

26 minutes ago, Michelle said:

@Athena I hate to say it, but I'm still seeing missing smilies, such as in this post http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14521-hayleys-reading-in-2017/&do=findComment&comment=479420

I just edited my post, took the missing smiley out and put it in again and I think it's working now!

I've also been having the Internal Server error, quite a few times today and last night, I'll email you the details Michelle.

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

@Athena I can see all the emoticons in tests 1 and 2. The only ones I can't see on this page are the last 2 on your post at the top of the page. And thank you so much for fixing my thread when you're already so busy! 

That's perfect! You're not supposed to be able to see the last two, those were test ones I've since replaced with another tag. I'll remove them from my post.

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

I just edited my post, took the missing smiley out and put it in again and I think it's working now!

It is! (for me anyway)

One of the features I really like the look of is tagging - but please, how do I do it?  I know it'll be straightforward, and everybody else seems to have found out how to do it easily, but I just can't work it out!

I've noticed a while ago another great thing about the new system, something that the older version, some years back, used to also have, but the most recent system didn't: When I quote someone else's post, and I want to go over their post point by point (as I tend to do :blush: ), it's easy to go in their post and just press enter (might have to do it a few times, I've yet to see if there's a consistency in how you do it)  and you've then managed to separate the lines you want to quote from the rest, and you're in your own posting area and ready to add our comment. Sorry, found it very hard to explain what I meant :D    What I mean is that with just pressing enter in the quote box you can separate things bit by bit and comment on individual things very easily, just like back in the older days.  I love it!! 

Edit: You have to first press enter, which just add a few lines in between the quote, but doesn't break the quote box in two, and then put the cursor back to the end of the sentence you wish to quote, and press enter again. Voilà!

Edited by frankie

I didn't notice it until today but there was a problem with the "Reading Now?" part of people's profiles, just like there was with "Location". I fixed the Location one soon after the upgrade so I'm not sure how many people noticed that one. I have just now fixed the Reading Now? one. For anyone who put ":" the colon there themselves before the title of the book they're currently reading, you're going to have to remove that again I'm afraid, if you want it to look neater (because now there are two : : colons). But now there will at least be a space between "Reading Now?:" and your book title.

It seems quite a few of you noticed it. It's a shame no one said anything (that I've seen), I could've fixed it sooner.

Well if they hadn't noticed it, why did they put an extra colon in the "Reading Now?" box? But maybe someone mentioned it somewhere and I missed it. It doesn't matter, it's fixed now so :). I'm not mad at anyone! I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner.