Jump to content
Athena

Upgrade to New Version - Any Questions?

Recommended Posts

@frankie - thank you for being so supportive, and for finding some of the new features. This has been a lot of work for the admin team, and we appreciate seeing some good comments alongside the problems. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Michelle said:

There are 3 different sizes of editor, and they can all be set up slightly different. I'm assuming from your comments that Athena has a full screen and sees the large editor, whilst Willoyd must have a smaller screen, or tablet, and so sees the medium one. I have made some adjustments to the medium one now. There is also a small one, but I've left that with only a few options, as to not overcrowd it.

 

Thank you Michelle - that looks to have solved my problem.  You talk about different sizes of editor: is there any way of swapping between sizes?  When I had the original problem, I had simply clicked on the Edit button, and couldn't see any way of changing the size of the editing screen (I think there was a way previously??).  In other words, was there something I could have done to solve the problem myself, or did it need your intervention?  (BTW, I do think the memory thing is a good thing too - especially having lost half-written posts in the past!  Just trying to get my head around some of the changes).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michelle said:

Added: I just left a post and when I came back and clicked in the box, it was still there. There was also a little message bar telling me my post had been restored, and giving me an option to click to remove it. Very clever, I think! 

It's a very useful feature.  :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Michelle said:

@frankie - thank you for being so supportive, and for finding some of the new features. This has been a lot of work for the admin team, and we appreciate seeing some good comments alongside the problems. :smile:

 

It is all too easy to focus solely on the issues raised - and I'm probably more guilty than most looking through this thread, so just to say I really do appreciate the work put in (I've been involved in things like this all too often), and I do think that the new scheme has a lovely clean feel to it.  I also  do like the way notifications are working: it's already drawn my attention to discussions that I would have been sorry to miss otherwise (I must get my head around tagging!). A definite upgrade. Thank you!!

Edited by willoyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the new look! It's very clean and neat looking :smile:

 

I do seem to be having a bit of an issue seeing emoticons, although not all of them, which is a bit odd. I can see the smileys in the last 3 posts for example, but in Frankie's post at the top of the previous page I can just see one of those little mountain pictures you get when you have an image problem. If I scroll over it I can see ':)' so I know it is a smiley. There are lots of these little pictures on my reading thread too, but they were all put there before the update so maybe that would explain them. 

 

I tried opening the site on chrome and microsoft edge and got the same problem so I don't think it's a browser issue.

 

It's not a massive problem, obviously, but if anybody has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated :biggrin: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Michelle said:

@Inver Athena has very cleverly put you a little arrow back in! :biggrin:

Found it....excellent.....thank you...I'm easy pleased...now I need to figure out the @Michelle thingy...oh there it is...:biggrin:

Edited by Inver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Athena for my little arrow thingy...:exc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hayley said:

I really like the new look! It's very clean and neat looking :smile:

 

I do seem to be having a bit of an issue seeing emoticons, although not all of them, which is a bit odd. I can see the smileys in the last 3 posts for example, but in Frankie's post at the top of the previous page I can just see one of those little mountain pictures you get when you have an image problem. If I scroll over it I can see ':)' so I know it is a smiley. There are lots of these little pictures on my reading thread too, but they were all put there before the update so maybe that would explain them. 

 

I tried opening the site on chrome and microsoft edge and got the same problem so I don't think it's a browser issue.

 

It's not a massive problem, obviously, but if anybody has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated :biggrin: 

 

Hmmm, it's an odd problem. I can see a : ) (without spaces), so a :), but there is no mountain picture for me, it just looks like :). Could a few other people check what Frankie's smiley in this post looks like to them?

As a test, here's what the :), emoticon should look like, if properly used: :smile: (can you see this one?). The thing is, with this new software it is necessary to put a space after each emoticon tag, so you type :). and then a space, to make the emoticon appear: :smile: (space). If you type :smile: and then a punctuation mark such as a dot or a comma, : and ), stays :). The same for any of the other emoticon: :(. :D. :friends3:. And so on. I find it a bit awkward as I usually type a dot (.) after an emoticon, but I don't think there is anything we can do about that.

 

The ones before the upgrade, that sort of makes sense as I had to remove some double emoticons, so that could've caused that. I can't easily fix that, unless by going in and editing every single post to make the emoticons appear (by retyping them and pressing the spacebar after each one, then once it turns into an emoticon remove the space if needed). I'm willing to do that if it's only a couple of posts, but if it's multiple threads that have this problem, it would be a lot of work. Each member can edit their own posts, provided they are not a new member, so anyone feel free to edit their own posts to fix the emoticons if they want to. I see some of my posts in your thread are messed up too. It doesn't bother me hugely, but if it matters to you I'll edit my posts in your thread and the others in your thread (since it's just two pages). I don't mind editing the posts in your thread because it's only two pages if it's the only one with the problem, but if this problem is, as I suspect, present in multiple threads, it would be too much work to edit all of the posts in all of the threads.

 

6 hours ago, Inver said:

Thank you @Athena for my little arrow thingy...:exc:

 

You're welcome, I'm glad you like it :smile:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.4.2017 at 9:06 AM, Athena said:

I'm glad you discovered some new features and that you like them :smile:. It seems handy that the forum remembers your post (I didn't know this yet! I haven't been in a situation like that yet) and that it goes to the new content, those are nice features. Thank you for posting about it :friends3:.

 

Actually, on Saturday morning I realized that I'd made the same 'discovery' twice. The first time I found my restored message was when I'd decided not to post the message after all, but went back to the thread to check out other people's new comments. So it was there when I didn't need it and it threw me off. The second time was when I accidentally clicked something and went some place else, when I was in the middle of writing a long reply with lots of multi-quoting. Luckily the message was restored, and I could just get back to what I'd been writing :wub:

 

Finding the message one didn't want to send after all is a very, very, teeny, tiny, small inconvenience which is easy enough to rectify, compared to how much of a heaven sent the saving is when you accidentally click on something and end up on a different page and think you've ruined it all! 

 

On 14.4.2017 at 1:37 PM, Michelle said:

@frankie - thank you for being so supportive, and for finding some of the new features. This has been a lot of work for the admin team, and we appreciate seeing some good comments alongside the problems. :smile:

 

You're most welcome! :smile:   I think with a big change, it's always easier to notice the things that don't work, initially, and worry about them, before one can appreciate the bigger picture and notice all the cool new stuff :blush:

 

I do know you all have a lot of work with every new upgrade, but I don't think any of us 'commoners' really realize just how much work there is.  But we all do appreciate the work you all do. :flowers2:     This forum means so much to so many of us :wub:

 

(A new thing: I've already said the new emoticon box is really handy, but I've now tried the search on the emoticon box and it's so easy! Yay! :smile2: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athena said:

 

Hmmm, it's an odd problem. I can see a : ) (without spaces), so a :), but there is no mountain picture for me, it just looks like :). Could a few other people check what Frankie's smiley in this post looks like to them?

 

Frankie herself can attest to the fact that there's a mountain picture where frankie initially put a smiley. Frankie uses Chrome if that matters. When I wrote the post and used the emoticon, it was all fine for me, but now I do see a mountain picture. I'm pretty sure I put spaces after all my emoticons...

 

Edit: I went to 'edit' the post so I could see if there was something odd about what I'd written after the emoticon, but even in the edit mode there was the mountain picture.     

 

Edited by frankie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, frankie said:

 

Frankie herself can attest to the fact that there's a mountain picture where frankie initially put a smiley. Frankie uses Chrome if that matters. When I wrote the post and used the emoticon, it was all fine for me, but now I do see a mountain picture. I'm pretty sure I put spaces after all my emoticons...

 

Edit: I went to 'edit' the post so I could see if there was something odd about what I'd written after the emoticon, but even in the edit mode there was the mountain picture.     

 

 

Thanks, that does help actually! In Chrome I see an mountainpicture also. In Firefox I just see ':)'. As to why there is a mountain picture though.. I'll look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, for some reason it has linked to an image that doesn't exist. Which is very odd. Can I ask if you typed ':)' or whether you clicked the smiley in the smileybox?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Athena if you look in the admin section, some of the images are missing.. and they all have 'HD' in the box. If you look at the 'add smilie' option, there's an option to add two versions, for HD displays.. I'm assuming something has gotten messed up there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

Thanks, that does help actually! In Chrome I see an mountainpicture also. In Firefox I just see ':)'. As to why there is a mountain picture though.. I'll look into it.

 

That's really odd because when I wrote it, it was fine, and then it became a mountain. And I see other people's : )   as the smiley. And now when I do the smiley :smile: it's a smiley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Athena said:

Hmm, for some reason it has linked to an image that doesn't exist. Which is very odd. Can I ask if you typed ':)' or whether you clicked the smiley in the smileybox?

 

 

For a basic smiley I always write it, as : )  , as it's just quicker for me to type it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes a lot of sense, Frankie!

 

I have reuploaded the smiley icon, let's see if it works: :).

I don't know why it would have been corrupted though, if anyone else finds any other posts where it's missing, please let me know (it might shed some light on the situation).

 

Another test: :(:P:o;):lol::) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athena said:

That makes a lot of sense, Frankie!

 

I have reuploaded the smiley icon, let's see if it works: :).

I don't know why it would have been corrupted though, if anyone else finds any other posts where it's missing, please let me know (it might shed some light on the situation).

 

Another test: :(:P:o;):lol::) 

 

If it's any help*, I'm seeing all characters, apart from the last two: lol emoticon, smiley emoticon.  (And the smiley in Frankie's post that you originally wanted checking is OK for me - presumably because you've reuploaded?)  I use Firefox.

 

*You're probably doing it for yourself, so sorry if this is irrelevant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's definitely helpful, Willoyd :). I find it really odd, as I can see them all on my screen, in both Firefox and Chrome. On my phone I can't see the first four, and only the last two. Whereas on your screen it's the other way around!

 

I think I'll reupload several and see if that helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you see my post about the missing ones in the admin section being HD? I'm sure that's where the problem lies, although I can't get to ftp right now to explore further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're right, but not all of the missing ones are HD ones, at least, on my screen. It says it'll make them HD only if the @2x modifier is used, so I think if I reupload them without the modifier, maybe that will do the trick. I'll go in the FTP to see if maybe we have some redundant @2x ones, maybe remove those (or move them to a new folder). I might have a lunch break soon, as the buns are almost ready, but I'll continue after lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back from my lunchbreak, it appears most of the issues are with smilies that have multiple file formats on the server. I'm going to create a new group of smilies with just 1 picture per smiley, and test those to see if they work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay here comes the test:

 

New smileys with 1 entry:

 

:biggrin0::blush0::ohmy0::rolleyes0::smile0::tongue0::wink0:

 

I'll then check on my phone if these work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×