Upgrade to New Version - Any Questions?

Athena

On 7-4-2017 at 8:24 PM, Michelle said:

It doesn't offer me an option for recent topics, only 'popular' ones.. and that says it can't be set up.. :dunno:

I don't mind that at all, as we can all see what's new when we go to 'new content' :)

Also editing my earlier post about quoting.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe if you bothered to read announcements, and some of this thread, you wouldn't have to ask! 

The software version we had was out of date, and there would be no further security updates for it.. so a vital 'upgrade' to look after the forum and it's members!

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Online users are now back at the bottom of the forum again. 

It is possible to add status updates back to the side, but when I tried it, I wasn't sure if I liked it, as I'm now used to having the forum across the screen - does anyone have any strong views as to whether they would like it back, or if they prefer the forum without a sidebar?

Agree with you, and prefer the full width.  But I never really took much notice of the status anyway.

I rarely bother with the status section either, and like the full width forum, but I did used to try and use the Amazon affiliate link on the right hand side - Is that available anywhere else? (I'm on my phone at the moment so can't see the full site)

12 hours ago, frankie said:

Just found another thing. I was in a thread, quoting someone, and working on my reply, when I decided that I didn't want the quote there as I was only replying to the previous post and the quote was unnecessary and I just wanted to post what I thought. When I tried to delete the quote bit, it didn't delete it. The quote stayed there, and I couldn't get rid of it, until I just decided to come on this thread.

The way I do it is by taking the mouse and hovering over the quote, at the very left top corner of it you should see an icon appear with some arrows on it. If you click on the icon, then press Delete on the keyboard, it should remove the quote. It does for me anyway.

17 hours ago, MrCat said:

Hello. Why was this "upgrade" made? The old forum looked fine. I like the new round avatars though. 

For future reference, as far as I know, this forum has gone through not that many upgrades in the past, and as far as I know, all the upgrades that have been made have been necessary for the forum to actually work, and be safe. I don't think the staff has gone through any upgrades just for the fun of it. 

I'm liking the new colors! It's a fresh change :)

Edited by frankie

Hey all, one issue for me is that I have to sign in with my original member name now instead of the 2nd one that I had to create the last time there was an upgrade (at least I think that's what happened).  In addition, my total number of posts has diminished by about 1k.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, Michele? :)

I did post about the sign in / display name issue before we even upgraded.. http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14716-important-upgrading-the-software/  Basically sign in names and display names were merged in this upgrade.. I'm assuming that has happened to you? Send me a PM if you want / need to change anything.

On thing which happened after this upgrade was that everything was rebuilt, which I assume included post numbers. I'm sure you recall, as you've been around for a while, that in our earlier days Tell often deleted old threads etc, to help keep pressure off the database etc. Individual post numbers would stay unaffected, unless there was a rebuild. I'm assuming that has happened here.. I take no notice of my post numbers any more, so I can't say for sure if they've gone down.

I apologize for not seeing that earlier post, Michele.  I've not posted in quite a long time.

I'm fine with my sign in/display name.  I'd prefer my post count be correct, but if that can't be done then I understand.

On 06/04/2017 at 9:13 AM, Athena said:

Unread Content can now be found under the Activity tab at the top of the page, or at the top right of the page.

Maybe it's just me, as I can't see anyone else having mentioned it previously in this thread about there being a problem, but does this work in the same way as on the old forum?  Unread content on the old forum used to show me a list of all the threads that had been posted in since my last visit, whilst on the new one it shows me in post form which isn't a problem in itself but I'm not convinced it shows me all unread content.  I logged on to the board yesterday for the first time in quite a wee while and there didn't seem to be all that much 'new' content - a lot less than what I had been expecting anyway and it just didn't seem right, if you know what I mean.  I'm just worried that I might miss something.  Anyone else noticed anything unusual about it, or is it just me?

Overall though I love the new look of the board (I did get a bit of a shock when I first logged on to it though).  I find it more easy on the eye, cleaner and just fresher in general.  I found the old one a bit 'busy' looking.

Edited by Autumn
typos

The default activity stream (you can set up your own) should show you unread content over the past 365 days. However, please keep in mind that this was a major upgrade, which rebuilt pretty much everything, so I assume everyone has only been shown content since the upgrade.. and it hasn't been that busy.

Also, you can select 'condensed' rather than 'expanded' if you want to see less of the post.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Inver said:

Testing, testing ....1....2...3......hope we can get choice of fonts back again though....but have to say the update looks quite nice and tidy....:smile:

One question....there used to be a wee arrow at the very bottom of the page in the middle and could take you back to the tope of the page again...has that disappeared...was useful rather than having to scroll back up.

Is there any news on the wee arrow...didn't get a reply to this one...slowly getting my way around..I think :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Inver said:

Is there any news on the wee arrow...didn't get a reply to this one...slowly getting my way around..I think :biggrin:

It seems to not be there since the new version. I believe it's possible to add it back in using coding. I'll look into it when I work on the new look for the forum, and see if I can add it into that. I hope to get started with that soon.

3 minutes ago, Athena said:

It seems to not be there since the new version. I believe it's possible to add it back in using coding. I'll look into it when I work on the new look for the forum, and see if I can add it into that. I hope to get started with that soon.

Don't suppose it is a necessity but I have to say I used the wee arrow a lot when I was at the bottom of the page...thanks for answer..xx

18 hours ago, Peacefield said:

In addition, my total number of posts has diminished by about 1k.

Your post count is showing at over 5800, so it must have been rectified. Could have just been a glitch during the changeover.

A couple of things that have cropped up:

1.  When I go to edit a post, a number of buttons that appear when inputting a post for the first time seem to have disappeared off the editing bar, including (for me the most important) the Text Color button.  Others include Strikethrough, Align Left, Center, Align Right, and Font Size.  This poses something of a problem, especially when editing lists at the start of my book log thread!

2.  There now seems to be no option to delete a post (unless it's Hide under Options - but not sure what that means and what it's purpose is - seems to be different to Delete, more a temporary measure).  Equally, there seems to be no means of cancelling or exiting a post once started (although I suppose one can just abandon - but then it re-appears when I go back to the thread).

Edited by willoyd

I've found two great new features with the upgrade today: 

When I know look at new content, and then click to visit the thread with new content, the system takes me straight to the new content (the first new content for me in the thread since my last visit), instead of the top of the latest page in said thread

Also, when I was replying to two messages, I somehow clicked something and was led somewhere else and tried to go back and get the message I'd written back but failed. But then when I went to the specific thread I was in to reply to the messages and clicked on the message box, the things I'd written reappeared! :wub: Bloody hell! Pretty marvelous I have to say. 

On 14-4-2017 at 0:49 AM, willoyd said:

A couple of things that have cropped up:

1.  When I go to edit a post, a number of buttons that appear when inputting a post for the first time seem to have disappeared off the editing bar, including (for me the most important) the Text Color button.  Others include Strikethrough, Align Left, Center, Align Right, and Font Size.  This poses something of a problem, especially when editing lists at the start of my book log thread!

2.  There now seems to be no option to delete a post (unless it's Hide under Options - but not sure what that means and what it's purpose is - seems to be different to Delete, more a temporary measure).  Equally, there seems to be no means of cancelling or exiting a post once started (although I suppose one can just abandon - but then it re-appears when I go back to the thread).

1. When I edit my own post, I have all the buttons available for me. Does anyone else have the buttons missing? We'll look into this.

2. I'll look into the thing about deleting own posts.

If you want to cancel a post you started writing, can you select the text in the post box and press 'delete' on the keyboard?

On 14-4-2017 at 0:56 AM, frankie said:

I've found two great new features with the upgrade today: 

When I know look at new content, and then click to visit the thread with new content, the system takes me straight to the new content (the first new content for me in the thread since my last visit), instead of the top of the latest page in said thread

Also, when I was replying to two messages, I somehow clicked something and was led somewhere else and tried to go back and get the message I'd written back but failed. But then when I went to the specific thread I was in to reply to the messages and clicked on the message box, the things I'd written reappeared! :wub: Bloody hell! Pretty marvelous I have to say. 

I'm glad you discovered some new features and that you like them :). It seems handy that the forum remembers your post (I didn't know this yet! I haven't been in a situation like that yet) and that it goes to the new content, those are nice features. Thank you for posting about it  :friends3:.

There are 3 different sizes of editor, and they can all be set up slightly different. I'm assuming from your comments that Athena has a full screen and sees the large editor, whilst Willoyd must have a smaller screen, or tablet, and so sees the medium one. I have made some adjustments to the medium one now. There is also a small one, but I've left that with only a few options, as to not overcrowd it. 

I hadn't noticed the fact that posts are remembered.. I have to say, I see that as much more of a positive than a negative. I remember having discussions on here before where posts weren't saving properly, and would then disappear, and there has been occasions where I've somehow left the page (clicked on a link, or accidentally hit the back button) and I've lost my post, so this seems an excellent new feature. I'll experiment in a min and find out how you get away from it if you wish.

Added: I just left a post and when I came back and clicked in the box, it was still there. There was also a little message bar telling me my post had been restored, and giving me an option to click to remove it. Very clever, I think! 

Edited by Michelle

With regards to deleting posts, in the old version we may have let certain groups delete their posts, but this was a 'soft delete'.. this meant that the mods could still access the post, and either 'hard delete' it, or restore it. This has now changed slightly.. Hide is the same as soft delete, although now you may still see it in your thread, under a different colour. So, if you wish to delete a post, simply hide it instead. If you want it to go completely from your thread, let us know in this thread. We may also delete hidden posts after they've been hidden for a period of time.