Upgrade to New Version - Any Questions?

Athena

10 minutes ago, willoyd said:

I must admit that I feel a major retrograde step with the new software is the loss of the ability to see and edit the codes in the post directly (the button for it was the first on the old toolbar when editing, that changed the mode one was in). It's made editing posts far more awkward, and means far less control of how a post looks.  For instance taking a single block of quote and breaking it up and editing individualised responses to each section is now horrible, but it was so easy previously.

Any chance of restoring that very useful facility?

Have you tried clicking the Source button? It looks as if I can edit mine.. if you can't, then it might be a per-member setting. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Have you tried clicking the Source button? It looks as if I can edit mine.. if you can't, then it might be a per-member setting. 

Mine doesn't seem to show a source button.

Edited by willoyd

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Ok, I'll look into that.

Sorry - was editing my post to show that I can't actually find a source button (that's the button I was previously referring to, couldn't remember its name) - I checked using right click and looking at source code, which won't allow editing.

I could almost certainly then sort out all the chopping and changing of fonts in my posts too, without having to go back to the overall software.

Edited by willoyd

2 minutes ago, Athena said:

Is this not what it looks like for you?

Image.jpg

No - the first button on the left for me is the Bold button - the source button isn't there (but that's where it was before the upgrade).  That would definitely sort all my issues out having that.

Edited by willoyd

12 hours ago, Flip Martian said:

It seems to be independent of the usual forum thing when you post when it asks if you want to be notified of any replies - that's a useful feature. Can't see what this one does when I load a page up. I'll keep clicking "always block" and hope it goes away... :)

This seems to have worked so far. Whether I get any notifications to any replies, I don't know yet. :)

Edited to add, yes I do get reply notifications, so that's ok. The one that came up on every new page can be blocked easily with the "always block" option.

Edited by Flip Martian

42 minutes ago, willoyd said:

No - the first button on the left for me is the Bold button - the source button isn't there (but that's where it was before the upgrade).  That would definitely sort all my issues out having that.

I apologise, it seems in the new version it's set up so that the staff can use it and no one else. I hadn't realised.

Just now, Athena said:

I apologise, it seems in the new version it's set up so that the staff can use it and no one else. I hadn't realised.

That's a real pain - any chance of altering?

Unfortunately not, as it's considered a security risk. To be honest, as I explained before, we had no option but to upgrade the software, as I'm not willing to leave the forum open to security issues. We have to be guided by the way the software works.. some changes will be welcomed, and others not.. and different people will have different views on them.

We will try to sort as many issues out as we can, but the software is now not allowing fonts, nor a source code editing for most members, and we have to go with that. I'm sorry you're not happy, but I really can't give up any more time on this issue.

I also asked whether you've made any changes to your browser as to which fonts it shows / uses, as I know these options exist. Both Athena and myself are completely stuck to know why some of your posts are still appearing in Verdana.. we have checked all of the forum settings, and can't see anything, so I'd like to know if you've made changes to your browser?

24 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Unfortunately not, as it's considered a security risk. To be honest, as I explained before, we had no option but to upgrade the software, as I'm not willing to leave the forum open to security issues. We have to be guided by the way the software works.. some changes will be welcomed, and others not.. and different people will have different views on them.

We will try to sort as many issues out as we can, but the software is now not allowing fonts, nor a source code editing for most members, and we have to go with that. I'm sorry you're not happy, but I really can't give up any more time on this issue.

I also asked whether you've made any changes to your browser as to which fonts it shows / uses, as I know these options exist. Both Athena and myself are completely stuck to know why some of your posts are still appearing in Verdana.. we have checked all of the forum settings, and can't see anything, so I'd like to know if you've made changes to your browser?

None.  It isn't a browser issue: I can see the source code, as one always can by right-clicking on a selection, and the font instructions are in that code. Indeed, it's only a browser that's been changed that won't show the different fonts.   It's not just showing my posts in Verdana, but other posts in a variety of other fonts (including some of those that I think are the ones you don't like!).  If the software people wanted to standardise on one font, then they've failed to do that properly, and have not properly stripped the font codes out (or disabled them?? Don't know if that's possible).

On the ability to edit codes - it's obviously disappointing as it's going to make editing slower and clunkier, but understandable (I wonder though how much trouble they've actually had).  I do hope though that we can at least get a consistent font and the posts left in a neat state - but quite understand if you haven't got the time to sort!! I think I can find a way round the problem at least with my posts to bodge it and satisfy my OCDness on this sort of thing (I think by doing some cutting, pasting and retyping I can get the various posts to at least look the same internally).

Edited by willoyd

Can you point me to a post by someone else which has different fonts, as I can't say I noticed it? When I have more time, I can certainly bring it up in the support forums, but I'm not convinced I'll even get an answer there. 

Added: There are also other odd things with your new posts (post upgrade) - if you quote someone, your post is normal, but if you post a new one, or edit a post, the verdana span tag appears. I've not noticed this happen for anyone else. 

26 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Can you point me to a post by someone else which has different fonts, as I can't say I noticed it? When I have more time, I can certainly bring it up in the support forums, but I'm not convinced I'll even get an answer there. 

Some samples from

Inver

Poppyshake

chesilbeach

mugglenot

peacefield

ian

Most of those people have their posts consistently in a different font to the new standard.  (And, actually, I prefer almost all of them!).

Edited by willoyd

9 minutes ago, Athena said:

Those are older posts though, they are still in the fonts people used to use. What about any new posts they've made? I don't think most of those people have even posted much yet.

Yes they are older posts: the issue raised was that some posts have been reset, others haven't, and I've seen a situation with mine where they've been left with a mixture of the two (I don't know whether anybody else has).  I don't think there's any issue over posts since the change.

As I said, I now think I've found a way of bodging it so that I can redo all my lists etc so that they are at least the same font if this is too awkward to sort out with the software suppliers.  It's time-consuming, but my pedantry/obsessiveness needs me to do it if it can't be done at source!

Edited by willoyd

issues with older posts I really don't see as a huge issue.. I don't know what Invision actually do to them during the upgrade, and I doubt we can do anything about it to be honest.

There is an issue with your posts since the upgrade, in that sometimes a verdana span gets added, and sometimes not.. and that is bugging me. If it's not happening to anyone else's posts, then the only conclusion I can come to is that there is something different your end. If it's affecting other people's posts, then I will need to sort that out.  

17 minutes ago, Michelle said:

issues with older posts I really don't see as a huge issue.. I don't know what Invision actually do to them during the upgrade, and I doubt we can do anything about it to be honest.

There is an issue with your posts since the upgrade, in that sometimes a verdana span gets added, and sometimes not.. and that is bugging me. If it's not happening to anyone else's posts, then the only conclusion I can come to is that there is something different your end. If it's affecting other people's posts, then I will need to sort that out.  

That'll almost certainly be my end then - I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by willoyd

Testing, testing ....1....2...3......hope we can get choice of fonts back again though....but have to say the update looks quite nice and tidy....:smile:

One question....there used to be a wee arrow at the very bottom of the page in the middle and could take you back to the tope of the page again...has that disappeared...was useful rather than having to scroll back up.

Edited by Inver

The spoiler tag button has just been added back into the editor, so next to the smiley icon, there is an icon that looks like an eye.

Click on the icon and a spoiler box will appear in your editor and you can put any text you want to hide in that box, and it will be hidden in the post when you submit it.

Like this:

Spoiler

Hidden text

Just found another thing. I was in a thread, quoting someone, and working on my reply, when I decided that I didn't want the quote there as I was only replying to the previous post and the quote was unnecessary and I just wanted to post what I thought. When I tried to delete the quote bit, it didn't delete it. The quote stayed there, and I couldn't get rid of it, until I just decided to come on this thread. 

Edit: Now I've just gone back to the thread, to have  a fresh start, but the quote bit is still there.

Edit: Okay now it's gone as I opened the thread in a new window. 

Edit: No, it's come back. Even when I'd opened the thread in a new window, once I clicked on the reply space, the quote bit came back up. Bizarre! 

Edit: I found out away to get rid of it. I had to go 'in' the actual quote, then press Enter to go beneath in to the reply bit, and then I pressed 'delete' and that got rid of it. Tricky minx! 

Edited by frankie

Online users are now back at the bottom of the forum again. 

It is possible to add status updates back to the side, but when I tried it, I wasn't sure if I liked it, as I'm now used to having the forum across the screen - does anyone have any strong views as to whether they would like it back, or if they prefer the forum without a sidebar?