Upgrade to New Version - Any Questions?

Athena

7 minutes ago, frankie said:

I like the new pop-up window for emoticons, I find it more handy than the earlier one! :)

Yep, it is better. It looks like I might be able to organise them a bit better, but it'll be a while before I get to that. We do have a lot, but they go back a long way, and are a part of the board! :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yep, it is better. It looks like I might be able to organise them a bit better, but it'll be a while before I get to that. We do have a lot, but they go back a long way, and are a part of the board! :)

I think the fact that you can see so many emoticons per row and there aren't that many rows to scroll down (due to so many emoticons per row), it makes it so much faster to find the one you're looking for :)   So the actual order of the emoticons wouldn't be as important at least for me, as you'd get to the one you're looking for so quickly anyways. 

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

Ah you see, that's where we differ - I really like everything to be neat, and I've always discouraged too much use of different fonts. There is one in particular which someone on here uses, and on certain browsers it's hardly readable. :)

Yes - how one reacts to fonts is thoroughly individual, and I do so agree about some font choices; I find that most of my students are equally adept at selecting fonts that are not readable. However, very much IMO, there is a difference between attractive neatness and bland uniformity, and readability, neatness and personal expression are enhanced on a forum by at least a degree of variety.  And personally, I find emoticons thoroughly messy!   :smile:

I like the standard fonts too, Michelle.

I think there's only one - which was my point.  If there are more, forgive me, I've missed something.  But my main concern was that the new software had left a rather messy mix of fonts in the posts, rather than any particular issue over the avaiability of fonts in the new scheme of things - this was really meant to be just an aside and a regret in passing.

Edited by willoyd

Sorry - my mobile decided I wanted to pluralise it and I didn't notice.  I meant I like there being just one font so it looks uniform.  I do like to be able to change colour though, which is still possible.  It's just a matter of taste.   :)

11 minutes ago, willoyd said:

Yes - how one reacts to fonts is thoroughly individual, and I do so agree about some font choices; I find that most of my students are equally adept at selecting fonts that are not readable. However, very much IMO, there is a difference between attractive neatness and bland uniformity, and readability, neatness and personal expression are enhanced on a forum by at least a degree of variety.  And personally, I find emoticons thoroughly messy!   :smile:

I think there's only one - which was my point.  If there are more, forgive me, I've missed something.  But my main concern was that the new software had left a rather messy mix of fonts in the posts, rather than any particular issue over the avaiability of fonts in the new scheme of things - this was really meant to be just an aside and a regret in passing.

I have to say, I can't see much of a problem. I can see a very slight difference in font size in some of your posts, but the rest is italics, colour etc?

I did only look quickly, so please let me know if there's something specific you can show me. 

Janet:

Thanks.  I've accepted notifications for the moment to see how it works. The original annoying popup has disappeared, and I find the notifications so far informative rather than a nuisance!

Edited by willoyd

40 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I have to say, I can't see much of a problem. I can see a very slight difference in font size in some of your posts, but the rest is italics, colour etc?

I did only look quickly, so please let me know if there's something specific you can show me. 

The posts unfortunately don't show post numbers now, so it's a bit harder to refer to posts, but I'll do my best.....

If you look at my Reading Blog thread.  Posts 1-4 are in Verdana, the font that I used previously.  Post 5 (Non-fiction focus) title is in Verdana, the introductory body and the Doorstoppers sections are in the old font (name? or is it the new font? can't tell), then back to Verdana for the start of Slightly Foxed Editions, then back to old font from book numbers 2-33 inclusive, then back to Verdana for the last few.  Posts from then on vary, with some managing to stick to Verdana all the way through, some starting in Verdana then swapping back, some going backward and forwards.  For me, they aren't just changes in font sizes, but distinctly different fonts!  (It looks to me as if the font code has been left in the source coding for some reason).  

If you go into my thread in the Members' Threads section (Will's Wildlife Jottings), you'll see that post throughout have retained a variety of fonts - I can spot at least 4 different ones.  Some of my posts, again, seem to change font part of the way through where they didn't previously.

Edited by willoyd

18 minutes ago, willoyd said:

The posts unfortunately don't show post numbers now, so it's a bit harder to refer to posts, but I'll do my best.....

If you click on the 'share' symbol you can copy and paste a link to the particular posts to which you're referring.  :)

BCF Link to post.jpg

It seems to be independent of the usual forum thing when you post when it asks if you want to be notified of any replies - that's a useful feature. Can't see what this one does when I load a page up. I'll keep clicking "always block" and hope it goes away... :)

Edited by Flip Martian

43 minutes ago, Janet said:

@willoyd regarding your notifications - have you clicked on settings when the message pops up?   I *think* you can stop them there...?

BCF Notifications.jpg

Janet, is that from us, rather than a browser? I'm just confused, because the only pop ups I've seen are from my browsers, and I've been able to deny them.. I haven't seen anything like that one!

9 minutes ago, Janet said:

If you click on the 'share' symbol you can copy and paste a link to the particular posts you're referring to.  :)

Thanks Janet - I've now put in a link to an example for each of the variants mentioned.

I must admit that I feel a major retrograde step with the new software is the loss of the ability to see and edit the codes in the post directly (the button for it was the first on the old toolbar when editing, that changed the mode one was in). It's made editing posts distinctly more awkward.  For instance taking a single block of quote and breaking it up and editing individualised responses to each section is now horrible, but it was so easy previously.

Any chance of restoring that very useful facility?

Edited by willoyd

For some reason, your posts look different to everyone else's.. when I view the source code, yours is more complex, and includes a span tag for Verdana, whereas mine doesn't. Do you have anything set up differently on your computer or browser, such as everything displaying as Verdana, or do you do anything different when you post? If not, I'm wondering if it's somehow linked to Firefox, as I use Chrome or Safari, depending on where I am.