Upgrade to New Version - Any Questions?

Athena

As you've probably noticed, we've upgraded the forum software to a new version. Things look a bit different! This topic is for any questions anyone may have, and we'll try to help you to the best of our ability. It might take everyone a while to figure everything out, I know it'll take me a bit of time to get used to it! Our old theme is currently absent, because it does not work with the new version. We will have to redo the theme and we will try to get that fixed as soon as possible.

If you have any questions about the new version, please post them here :smile:.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The forum is still doing some background processes. Because of this, it's possible the forum is slower than usual. Please don't be alarmed by this, it should be fixed once the background processes have been completed. If not, we will contact support.

You can also quote someone by highlighting the text you wish to quote and clicking on 'quote this'.

BCF.png

It only works on one individual post though, so as Gaia said above, use the + and edit to quote more than one person.  :)

Just had chance to logon for the first time - I love it! There doesn't seem to be an option to change the font any more, but I can live with that. :) It seems to have reset the fonts on my previous posts.  It'll give it a clean, consistent look for all posts, so it'll fit in well with the new look generally.

3 hours ago, Janet said:

You can also quote someone by highlighting the text you wish to quote and clicking on 'quote this'.

BCF.png

It only works on one individual post though, so as Gaia said above, use the + and edit to quote more than one person.  :)

I've never really understood how the multi-quote thing works anyway :) 

A couple of problems:

Firstly, the upgrade has left the posts in my book blog thread in a mess.  As Claire says, there doesn't seem to be a facility to change the font (which is very disappointing*), but whilst she reports that all her posts have been put back into the default font, so at least they look consistent, mine have not.  Some posts are the in the font I was using (Verdana), others look as if they're in the old default font, whilst others are a mishmash of the two, or others.  Any chance of being able to, at the least, convert them into one font, even if it's only the new default?

Second problem: every time I change screen, I get an annoying popup asking me if I want notifications.  Even if I click on the 'Later' option, it persists.  I'm assuming it will do until I give in and say yest - but I don't know what degree of notifications it intends to keep sending me, where it sends them (more junk mail) or why, so don't want to say yes until I know more!  When I click on 'Learn More', it come up with an Error #404 screen. 

Any chance of it - the popup - simply being erased? 

Otherwise, largely neutral on the change.  It currently looks more corporate, including the font, so don't know whether that's a good thing or not to others, but I suspect we should reserve judgement until the BCF skins are in place. 

* Later edit: I notice that there is an opportunity to insert code.  However, having tried a bit to insert code, doesn't seem to work, or if it does, I'm not able to make it work without some guidance!

Edited by willoyd

I'll have to investigate and deal with this bit by bit....

Post fonts - I haven't had time to explore that much yet, so I'll have to look into it. 

Notifications.. as far as I'm aware, none of the admin team have had any issues with this at all. However, I do recall whilst being on Chrome at work that something came up, but this was Chrome related, rather than a forum related setting, if that makes sense. I can't remember now what I did, but I clicked on something and it took me to my Chrome settings and I was able to deny pop ups. Are you using Chrome?

Edited to add: I've just tried using Chrome at home, and yes, I think the notifications you mention are coming from Chrome, and not the forum. I've been able to simply click 'deny'. Forum based notifications remain the same as they've always been.

The change in general - we really had no choice. There would be no further security updates for the version we were using, and we didn't realise the skin would disappear completely. I'm getting used to it the more I use it, but it will be nice once Athena has had time to change a few things. 

Code.. there was always an option to add code, I think, but I'm sure HTML has always been disallowed as it can be used negatively. I will have to get back to you.

Edited by Michelle

11 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Notifications.. as far as I'm aware, none of the admin team have had any issues with this at all. However, I do recall whilst being on Chrome at work that something came up, but this was Chrome related, rather than a forum related setting, if that makes sense. I can't remember now what I did, but I clicked on something and it took me to my Chrome settings and I was able to deny pop ups. Are you using Chrome?

No - Firefox.  It has only started with the new version of BCF - never had anything like it anywhere else, mainly I suspect because I have popups blocked!  So obviously not working as a 'popup' even if that's what I'm calling it.

Code.. there was always an option to add code, I think, but I'm sure HTML has always been disallowed as it can be used negatively. I will have to get back to you.

Doesn't seem to like what I do, so probably still disabled.  Makes sense because, as you say, could cause problems.  Obviously would be nice to use different fonts, but at least I'd like to make sure it's all the same font, and all the new font as well.  Looking at the source code, I can see the problems, but obviously won't let me alter the code.  BTW, it has also turned off bold randomly at various points as well, so presumably has done that with other style codes - but can sort those out by re-editing as we have ability to deal with that ourselves. 

Edited by willoyd

5 minutes ago, willoyd said:

No - Firefox.  It has only started with the new version of BCF - never had anything like it anywhere else.

Doesn't seem to like what I do, so probably still disabled.  Makes sense because, as you say, could cause problems.  Obviously would be nice to use different fonts, but at least I'd like to make sure it's all the same font, and all the new font as well.  Looking at the source code, I can see the problems, but obviously won't let me alter the code.  BTW, it has also turned off bold randomly at various points as well, so presumably has done that with other style codes - but can sort those out by re-editing as we have ability to deal with that ourselves. 

Strangely, I've just had a notification on Safari, but I also get those for Facebook, and I've for that that it's a browser setting. Have a look at your browser settings first, look for anything to do with pop ups. I'm just about to have a look at mine. 

Edit: I meant Safari, and not Firefox - but yes, it's a browser setting, which was easy to change. 

6 minutes ago, willoyd said:

Obviously would be nice to use different fonts, 

Ah you see, that's where we differ - I really like everything to be neat, and I've always discouraged too much use of different fonts. There is one in particular which someone on here uses, and on certain browsers it's hardly readable. :)

I'll need some time to look into what happened with font conversion, and I don't have much spare time at the moment, so you'll have to bear with me.