Good morning everyone

KEV67

Hi,

My name is Kevin. The last few years I have read quite a lot of Victorian literature. I generally have two or three books on the go, typically a pre-1914 book, something more contemporary, and a non-fiction book.

Hi Kevin, welcome! Great to see another Victorian literature fan. Have you read any George Gissing?

I have indeed read some George Gissing. I have read New Grub Street, The Odd Women, The Underworld and The Whirlpool. He's an interesting guy. I have a biography of his that is waiting to be read.

I have indeed read some George Gissing. I have read New Grub Street, The Odd Women, The Underworld and The Whirlpool. He's an interesting guy. I have a biography of his that is waiting to be read.

That's great! I personally found New Grub Street a bit of a drag, although it is supposed to be one of his best; I think you mean The Netherworld. That was a good one, as was The Odd Women. One of my favourites is In The Year Of Jubilee. I was so impressed with the latter I actually went to Camberwell and looked at the specific streets mentioned in the story to get a feel for it, knowing that Gissing had actually walked the same streets.

I have read probably the same biography you have, I had it on kindle attached to one of his books. He was indeed an interesting guy. His own life pops up in his stories.

That's great! I personally found New Grub Street a bit of a drag, although it is supposed to be one of his best; I think you mean The Netherworld. That was a good one, as was The Odd Women. One of my favourites is In The Year Of Jubilee. I was so impressed with the latter I actually went to Camberwell and looked at the specific streets mentioned in the story to get a feel for it, knowing that Gissing had actually walked the same streets.

I have read probably the same biography you have, I had it on kindle attached to one of his books. He was indeed an interesting guy. His own life pops up in his stories.

Yes, it was The Netherworld. The biography I have is by Paul Delaney. It was probably a mistake to buy it as, like a lot of people here I expect, I am snowed under with books I have yet to read. I have already read one biography about him. New Grub Street, The Odd Women and The Netherworld were very London-centric. I remember thinking you could devise a 10K route based on the locations in New Grub Street. The Netherworld was set in Clerkenwell, the same area of London as Sykes and Nancy and Fagin inhabited about fifty years before. The Year of the Jubilee is not one that is often spoken of. George Orwell thought New Grub Street, The Odd Women and Demos were his best. I do find his books can drag a bit, and they tend to be bleak, but he writes about unusual and interesting subjects. I think his dialogues are very good.

I agree that his dialogue was good. I really enjoy the language of the time. When you read a book by a modern author set in Victorian times they often get things wrong.

His monologues though can be endless, I have to admit. He will just sometimes go off on one and get all philosophical for several pages. But it only usually happens once in a book.

Demos was quite clever. A good study on character. That one is set outside London for most of the book.

Thyrza has some very touching moments, although the titular character seems a little bit ethereal at times.

Will Warburton is a lighter story with comic moments if you are finding Gissing a bit bleak.

Our Friend The Charlatan has a wicked streak if you like to see someone get their just desserts 

• 3 weeks later...

I have started reading Delaney's biography of Gissing. I often think his life story is as interesting as any of his novels. There is a French academic, Pierre Coustillas, who appears to have dedicated most of his academic life on Gissing. It's a pity I don't actually enjoy his books a bit more than I do. I have read that his first couple of books dealt a bit with prostitution, and since he married one, he would know quite a bit about that. Other books dealt with social strife. He is described as a feminist and a misogynist. He writes about working class characters, sympathises with them, but also is also exasperated by their ignorance and baseness. He is thought of as an uncompromising writer, but he does compromise quite a lot. He has to tone down stuff, be moral and not end too miserably if he wants someone to publish him. Later in his career he wrote books aimed more at middle-class readers. The Whirlpool was one of those books, which I did not think was particularly interesting. It was the sort of thing Anne Tyler writes a bit better these days. The most interesting bit for me was when the protagonist has the problem of having to reinvest his money, that will give him a reasonable income without having to work. Betsy Trottwood had a similar problem in David Copperfield. The Whirlpool protagonist decides to invest in a photography business I think.