What's Up in April 2017?

Athena

I've got to work part of the weekend, so not so much of a holiday for me, but I'll get some time off later to make up for it, so it's not all bad.  Plus, I don't like crowds and busy things, so I'd only be staying at home and avoiding public places otherwise. :lol:

Stil, I've had today off and have been into town to do some shopping for a birthday present for a friend (a book, obviously :giggle2:) so had a coffee and a read, and made my weekly Friday pilgrimage to get my halloumi wrap for lunch.  It was quite a nice day out, so sat on a bench in the park to eat it and watch the world go by - it was quite relaxing actually.  Back home now to do some admin stuff before settling down for a bit of a read.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend. :smile:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a week off work with the kids which has been pretty good (and not too stressful!). Tomorrow we go off for a long weekend away visiting friends and family before I pass the childcare baton to my husband and return to work on Tuesday - I'm not looking forward to it, but probably an easier job ;)

Have a good Easter all :smile: 

19 hours ago, Madeleine said:

We have Friday and Monday off, so 4 days altogether yippee!

That's nice :smile:! Here Friday was 'Good Friday', which is a day off for some people but not for others. It depends on the company or organisation if the people have off or not. Schools aren't open though.

17 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I've got to work part of the weekend, so not so much of a holiday for me, but I'll get some time off later to make up for it, so it's not all bad.  Plus, I don't like crowds and busy things, so I'd only be staying at home and avoiding public places otherwise. :lol:

Stil, I've had today off and have been into town to do some shopping for a birthday present for a friend (a book, obviously :giggle2:) so had a coffee and a read, and made my weekly Friday pilgrimage to get my halloumi wrap for lunch.  It was quite a nice day out, so sat on a bench in the park to eat it and watch the world go by - it was quite relaxing actually.  Back home now to do some admin stuff before settling down for a bit of a read.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend. :smile:

I'm glad you had a nice Friday :smile:. It's nice you get time off another time :smile:.

8 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I've had a week off work with the kids which has been pretty good (and not too stressful!). Tomorrow we go off for a long weekend away visiting friends and family before I pass the childcare baton to my husband and return to work on Tuesday - I'm not looking forward to it, but probably an easier job ;)

Have a good Easter all :smile: 

I hope you enjoy your time off with your family and visiting people :smile:.

I wish everyone a good Easter :smile:! I'll be baking fresh Easter buns for the occasion tomorrow (buns in the shape of Easter things). It's a tradition in my family to do so, and I intend to keep it going even if this year it's just the two of us for Easter.

Happy Easter (or Passover if you're Jewish :smile: ) weekend, everybody! Hope you have fun today! I'll probably be cleaning and watching movies with my much anticipated homemade nachos and sugar free pudding with whipped cream and Oreos dinner. Oh, so traditional :biggrin: Its my first holiday since my Winny kitty died 3 weeks ago and I am still feeling really sad (I used to be a bit weird with holidays and would spoil him with food and new toys like a mama with a kid, lol) without him so I just want to keep busy and try to have fun. 

It makes sense you're still feeling sad. A loss of a pet is always hard, especially of a cat or dog, who've been with you for so long :empathy:. I'm so sorry :(.

I hope you can enjoy your dinner and have some fun during Easter :hug:.

39 minutes ago, Athena said:

It makes sense you're still feeling sad. A loss of a pet is always hard, especially of a cat or dog, who've been with you for so long :empathy:. I'm so sorry :(.

I hope you can enjoy your dinner and have some fun during Easter :hug:.

Thanks Athena <3 I hope you have lots of fun, too! 

On 15.4.2017 at 10:11 AM, Athena said:

That's nice :smile:! Here Friday was 'Good Friday', which is a day off for some people but not for others. It depends on the company or organisation if the people have off or not. Schools aren't open though.

Over here it's "Long Friday" :smile:  

I hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend (if they have one)!

I'll be cooking a late lunch, a fancy nut roast, same as my Christmas menu.  I'm looking forward to it -- and there'll be plenty of leftovers!  

I'm hunkering down with some YouTube and Robot Wars, and E.M. Forster (if he cares to join me).  I love relaxing Sundays like these. :) 

Happy Easter everyone, bit of a washout here so far though!  But enjoying the long weekend, been doing some gardening, shopping, TV catch-up etc.  Went out for tea and found the café had closed down, so came home again.

No rain here so had a nice long walk with Jojo, the rest of the day has been very lazy though, bit of cooking, but of tidying and a bit of looking for recipes that I can eat and that all the kids will eat, a bit like searching for the holy grail!! :P

Had to go into work yesterday, so glad to have an extra day off today. :D  I'm actually feeling a bit under the weather as I've had a cough that's been keeping me awake at night, and I've ended up sleeping downstairs in the armchair because as soon as I lie down, I start wheezing and coughing. :irked:  

Not planning on much for today, I've already finished two books, but I guess some more reading is on the cards, and maybe try and do some craft of some sort.  Otherwise, just a lazy day before it's back to the grindstone tomorrow. ;)  

I hope you enjoy your day off, Chesil :).

I plan to rest and relax a bit this afternoon. I've been quite busy the past few days and am quite tired because of it, so hopefully I can rest this afternoon. I might do some reading. Today is 'Second Easter Day' here, so it's relatively quiet outside (no construction workers near the cycle path for instance).

Hey y'all!!

Hope all is well with everyone. Its been a lovely quiet weekend. We did yard work on Friday(front yard) and hubby finished the backyard on Saturday. We walked around a few home improvement stores, came home and broke out the grill, set up a little outdoor theater and watched Risen while eating and drinking wine. Yesterday was a repeat. I did manage to walk about 10 miles between Saturday and Sunday. 

I took an early morning walk and went to the gym to sit in the sauna for a bit, back home for a nice shower and now I'm back outside on my patio with no intentions of going further than the front door to get the mail. I need to study for my next real estate exam so I'll start with that today. I even broke out my little notebook and transferred my notes for my story to Wordperfect. I feel like I'm doing something productive!

Have a great day all!

Coran and I had a great time in Glastonbury over the weekend. We only had 2 nights there which was not really enough, but even a week wouldn't have been long enough for me. It was lovely to sit and chill in the gardens and the White Spring, and of course to climb the Tor - I swear it gets steeper each time I visit. We had a lovely Sunday lunch as well in one of the many veggie restaurants in the town.

It was back to work today though. Our new gardener started work, and has been busy weeding all day. He is definitely a hard worker as the place is starting to look tidier already.

Back to work for me today too.  Was a busier day than I was expecting, so it went nice and quickly! :lol:  Stopped off at my dad's on the way home, and now back in my comfy armchair for the evening, ready to watch the final episode of Broadchurch this evening as we missed it last night and I've been trying to avoid spoilers all day.

Somehow I managed to walk 7 miles today. I did my morning walk and then went out to run errands and next thing you know, 7 miles! It was hubby's birthday so I had to get a few small things for him. Well celebrate on Saturday with a dinner from Blue Apron (dinner that is delivered to the door including everything needed to make the food featured in the recipe). I packed two large boxes of books and did some tidying in ds room while he's gone. Tomorrow will be a doctor's appt for me and hubby, then back home to pack up another box or two. I'll then have all my bookshelves emptied. Nothing is more desolate than an empty bookshelf.

15 hours ago, Talisman said:

Coran and I had a great time in Glastonbury over the weekend. We only had 2 nights there which was not really enough, but even a week wouldn't have been long enough for me. It was lovely to sit and chill in the gardens and the White Spring, and of course to climb the Tor - I swear it gets steeper each time I visit. We had a lovely Sunday lunch as well in one of the many veggie restaurants in the town.

It was back to work today though. Our new gardener started work, and has been busy weeding all day. He is definitely a hard worker as the place is starting to look tidier already.

I'm glad you had a great time in Glastonbury :).

14 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Back to work for me today too.  Was a busier day than I was expecting, so it went nice and quickly! :lol:  Stopped off at my dad's on the way home, and now back in my comfy armchair for the evening, ready to watch the final episode of Broadchurch this evening as we missed it last night and I've been trying to avoid spoilers all day.

I hope you had a nice evening.

5 hours ago, Virginia said:

Somehow I managed to walk 7 miles today. I did my morning walk and then went out to run errands and next thing you know, 7 miles! It was hubby's birthday so I had to get a few small things for him. Well celebrate on Saturday with a dinner from Blue Apron (dinner that is delivered to the door including everything needed to make the food featured in the recipe). I packed two large boxes of books and did some tidying in ds room while he's gone. Tomorrow will be a doctor's appt for me and hubby, then back home to pack up another box or two. I'll then have all my bookshelves emptied. Nothing is more desolate than an empty bookshelf.

An empty book shelf is a sad sight, unless one just bought it and it's going to be filled up with books soon. 7 miles is a lot to walk, well done. Good luck with the doctor's appointment.

The cycle path is progressing well. It's pretty noisy sometimes, but I'm glad there is progression. The construction worker my dad's in touch with, said they will be working for a few more weeks (but I know what that's like - I'm not taking that as the 100% truth, because construction often takes longer than they said). The fence is still not there, I'm hoping they will place it soon.

I'm a bit upset at the pharmacy for not doing what they said they would (after I extra especially made sure that they would), and with a specific person (unrelated to the pharmacy, nor to anyone on here).

Anyway, there are worse things in life. But that doesn't mean I don't feel bad because of some things.

We came back on Sunday from a nine night trip. One night at each end were en route stops, but we spent seven nights in a lovely cottage in Scotland with our niece, her husband and two sons (aged 11 years and 16 years old). Despite forecasts for rain we somehow managed to avoid it every where we went. 

It was a really good holiday, and I thoroughly enjoyed the company. We spent our evenings playing board games, working our way through puzzle books, and chatting. Lovely! 

It's now back to reality and a huge pile of washing. *sigh*

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

We came back on Sunday from a nine night trip. One night at each end were en route stops, but we spent seven nights in a lovely cottage in Scotland with our niece, her husband and two sons (aged 11 years and 16 years old). Despite forecasts for rain we somehow managed to avoid it every where we went. 

It was a really good holiday, and I thoroughly enjoyed the company. We spent our evenings playing board games, working our way through puzzle books, and chatting. Lovely! 

It's now back to reality and a huge pile of washing. *sigh*

I'm glad you had a good holiday :)! Good luck with the washing, that's one of the downsides of taking a vacation (the laundry that will have to be done when you get back).

6 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm a bit upset at the pharmacy for not doing what they said they would (after I extra especially made sure that they would), and with a specific person (unrelated to the pharmacy, nor to anyone on here).

And due to developments happening today with the pharmacy (or not happening as the case may be), I'm now even more upset with them. I don't often use the angry emotions, but I feel okay to use them in this occasion: :banghead:  :censored:  :Tantrum::badmood:.

On a more positive side, at least the weather was nicely sunny today. It's cold, but in the areas of sunshine it's nice.

23 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you had a good holiday :)! Good luck with the washing, that's one of the downsides of taking a vacation (the laundry that will have to be done when you get back).

And due to developments happening today with the pharmacy (or not happening as the case may be), I'm now even more upset with them. I don't often use the angry emotions, but I feel okay to use them in this occasion: :banghead:  :censored:  :Tantrum::badmood:.

On a more positive side, at least the weather was nicely sunny today. It's cold, but in the areas of sunshine it's nice.

I'm glad the sunshine is making you feel better Gaia, I hate it when things don't go to plan because of  other people not doing what they said they would, it must be so frustrating. You should treat yourself to a new book as compensation. :readingtwo::friends3:

We have finally managed to book our family summer holiday, it took us ages to find accommodation we liked in the area we wanted! We are off to Croatia for 10 days in August, it is somewhere we have wanted to go for

a while so we are all very excited! :exc:

Maddie finishes her GCSE's in June so we are hoping to spend a few days in Amsterdam to celebrate, just need to figure out dates with work first as I don't currently have holiday booked for then, I'm hopefully they'll be accommodating though. :blush:

1 hour ago, chaliepud said:

I'm glad the sunshine is making you feel better Gaia, I hate it when things don't go to plan because of  other people not doing what they said they would, it must be so frustrating. You should treat yourself to a new book as compensation. :readingtwo::friends3:

Thanks Chalie :). Now that's an idea that I can get behind :hug:!

1 hour ago, chaliepud said:

We have finally managed to book our family summer holiday, it took us ages to find accommodation we liked in the area we wanted! We are off to Croatia for 10 days in August, it is somewhere we have wanted to go for

Maddie finishes her GCSE's in June so we are hoping to spend a few days in Amsterdam to celebrate, just need to figure out dates with work first as I don't currently have holiday booked for then, I'm hopefully they'll be accommodating though. :blush:

How exciting :D!! I wish you lots of fun in Croatia, family of mine has been there and they really liked it. I also wish you fun in Amsterdam, are there any particular things you would do in Amsterdam? There are some nice book shops there to visit as well as nice buildings, lots of museums, the canals, etc.

3 hours ago, chaliepud said:

How exciting - everyone seems to be going to Croatia this year. I am going too at the end of September and can't wait. I agree it can be tricky finding the right accommodation - I always use booking.com as they have a lot of lower cost properties like hostels and so on that other sites don't list. I prefer hostels as that way I get to meet other travellers, and I also have access to a kitchen which is important when you have a gluten free diet as I do.

I have had a brilliant day at work today where everything seemed to fall into place. After months of having hardly any staff, I had a new gardener start on Tuesday and will have another full time cleaner starting next week. We also have new cleaning machines being delivered as well to help make the job a lot quicker. I had to talk to our existing cleaner today about the impact that the new starters will have on his rotas and what he does and he has I am pleased to say, agreed to all of my proposals, which now mean that pretty much everything I wanted to happen will happen, keeping all the other department managers happy at the same time.   

Edited by Talisman