What's Up in April 2017?

Athena

It's April already :o!

I plan to have a quiet, relaxing weekend after my trip of last week. I have to do (and have done) some household chores, later today I plan to do some reading. The weather today isn't as nice as it was yesterday, though they did predict that. It's the first of April today, which is never my favourite day because of April Fools.

I wish everyone a great weekend!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy new April! :D  The weather seems to be getting a bit warmer, there's definitely more sun and Easter coming soon, so it could be a glorious month.

Early start to the DIY place to buy more wood with OH, then into town and a bit of book shopping and coffee drinking, as well as a visit to the cheesemonger.  Off to the hairdressers soon, and then tomorrow, I'm setting aside for some modern calligraphy and hand lettering practise. 

Had a really wonderful weekend, the weather was so nice got out into the garden and did a lot of weeding and planting and generally tidying up.  Great for the mind if not for the body, ached so much.

Looking forward to Easter this year as it will be the first time we have managed to get away for a few days, staying in the UK but will have plenty of walks along the beach.

Coran and I are going away for Easter as well this year - although only for 2 nights. We are going to Glastonbury to stay at the Chalice Well Reteat Lodge where we spent our honeymoon. It will the first time we have been back since then, which is pretty incredible really, as it will be 3 years in August.

I booked another holiday as well over the weekend (this time just for myself, as Coran is yet to get her passport). I will be going to Croatia towards the end of September, which I am really excited about. I couldn't decide whether to stay in Split or Dubrovnik, so I decided to visit both as there are great bus connections between these two areas, which makes it really easy. Both were used as film sets for Game of Thrones, which is definitely a reason to visit in my book. :smile:   

Hey all!

Had a really wonderful weekend, the weather was so nice got out into the garden and did a lot of weeding and planting and generally tidying up.  Great for the mind if not for the body, ached so much.

Looking forward to Easter this year as it will be the first time we have managed to get away for a few days, staying in the UK but will have plenty of walks along the beach.

Sounds peaceful! I can't wait to get back to our property so I can work on and cultivate a garden! Hope you enjoy your Easter weekend!

It's April already :o!

I plan to have a quiet, relaxing weekend after my trip of last week. I have to do (and have done) some household chores, later today I plan to do some reading. The weather today isn't as nice as it was yesterday, though they did predict that. It's the first of April today, which is never my favourite day because of April Fools.

I wish everyone a great weekend!

Glad to see you back, Gaia! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Take your time to get back into your routine. Did they finish the path?

Coran and I are going away for Easter as well this year - although only for 2 nights. We are going to Glastonbury to stay at the Chalice Well Reteat Lodge where we spent our honeymoon. It will the first time we have been back since then, which is pretty incredible really, as it will be 3 years in August.

I booked another holiday as well over the weekend (this time just for myself, as Coran is yet to get her passport). I will be going to Croatia towards the end of September, which I am really excited about. I couldn't decide whether to stay in Split or Dubrovnik, so I decided to visit both as there are great bus connections between these two areas, which makes it really easy. Both were used as film sets for Game of Thrones, which is definitely a reason to visit in my book. :smile:   

I swear June, you are the "going-est" woman I know, lol! How cool it must be to get up and travel! Are you updating your blog with pictures? I'd love to see them!

Life's been pretty quiet around here. I took the first real estate test and passed. I just got my criminal background check so now I can submit it and set up my exam. We've been out looking at houses to get a feel of what we want when we move. I started packing up some books and taking down my study. My mom thinks its early days yet but it actually isnt. Our lease is up in December. I have almost 3 thousand books. That is not something I want to wait til the last minute to pack. By breaking down my den, I can use that to store the boxes as they get packed. I can do what work I need, at my dining room table. I don't want to rush and do this. It also gives me time to get rid of stuff. I have done a big declutter already but you never know if something extra creeps back into your house in a shopping bag, lol!

That's my little catch up!

Have a great day/afternoon/evening!

I hope you have fun during these times away :).

Glad to see you back, Gaia! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Take your time to get back into your routine. Did they finish the path?

I wish! They said it would take 14 weeks, they've been busy now for I think 4ish weeks (minus the tree guys, that was also a couple of weeks). But so far I feel their progress is slow. They were supposed to put up builder's fences 3 weeks ago, and those are still not there. Yesterday they dug up the earth of part of the route and flattened it, then put down sand. It was noisy. They got as far as our backgarden, so I expect there will be more noise today. I don't expect the cycle path to be done before the summer to be honest.

Life's been pretty quiet around here. I took the first real estate test and passed. I just got my criminal background check so now I can submit it and set up my exam. We've been out looking at houses to get a feel of what we want when we move. I started packing up some books and taking down my study. My mom thinks its early days yet but it actually isnt. Our lease is up in December. I have almost 3 thousand books. That is not something I want to wait til the last minute to pack. By breaking down my den, I can use that to store the boxes as they get packed. I can do what work I need, at my dining room table. I don't want to rush and do this. It also gives me time to get rid of stuff. I have done a big declutter already but you never know if something extra creeps back into your house in a shopping bag, lol!

Well done on passing the real estate test! Good luck with the move :). Are you planning to move far away from where you currently live? 3000 books, that's a collection to be proud of :).

Yesterday my sister visited us and stayed the night (unexpectedly, though she did phone just before she got here). I'll be seeing her briefly in the early morning before she leaves for work. I talked with her a bit yesterday, but not lots as she arrived somewhat close to my own bedtime.

Virginia congratulations on passing the real estate test. 

Talisman have you been to Croatia before, it is a beautiful place, we went there a few years ago and stayed in Porec, visiting Plitvice lakes whilst we were there it was a very long journey from where we were staying but so worth it.

We are looking to go back again next year and visit Dubrovnik and Montenegro. 

Hey all!

Sounds peaceful! I can't wait to get back to our property so I can work on and cultivate a garden! Hope you enjoy your Easter weekend!

I swear June, you are the "going-est" woman I know, lol! How cool it must be to get up and travel! Are you updating your blog with pictures? I'd love to see them!

That's my little catch up!

Have a great day/afternoon/evening!

Ha! I take that as a definite compliment. Apart from Coran of course (and reading) travel is my biggest passion. It is something I have always wanted to do and always enjoyed, and now of course I have a few more funds with which to indulge that passion, which is definitely a good thing. Even so most of my travel does tend to be done on the cheap using low cost airlines and very often hostels. I have managed to book a lovely studio apartment for Split but Dubrovnik will be a hostel. It's a nice one though that doesn't have bunk beds - I hate bunk beds as I am only 5 feet tall and really can't abide the thought of climbing down from a top bunk to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night! That just doesn't work for me. I was then very pleased to find one that actually has proper single beds. :smile:       

Congratulations on passing your exam - I know what a lot of work went into it. Good luck too with finding a new property - 3000 books is a LOT of books. I am not sure how many I have, but nowhere near that amount. Most of mine these days are on Kindle anyway.

Here in the UK your employment (or in my case promotion) is never definite until you have completed a three month probationary period of settling in. My review was today, and I passed with flying colours, so I can now breathe a sigh of relief and say that I kind of passed my own exam too. My boss said some very nice things about me as it happens. I must admit it has been one hell of a learning curve but actually I am really proud of myself for doing it. If someone had told me three years ago when I first started here that I would be doing any of this I would probably have laughed in their face.   

You must have books in every wall, or a very big wall somewhere. I have some books as well, though not nearly as many.

I have bookshelves all over my home. I just love having them and one day being able to sit and read them all. I'm looking to find a home with built ins or a dedicated library.

I hope you have fun during these times away :).

I wish! They said it would take 14 weeks, they've been busy now for I think 4ish weeks (minus the tree guys, that was also a couple of weeks). But so far I feel their progress is slow. They were supposed to put up builder's fences 3 weeks ago, and those are still not there. Yesterday they dug up the earth of part of the route and flattened it, then put down sand. It was noisy. They got as far as our backgarden, so I expect there will be more noise today. I don't expect the cycle path to be done before the summer to be honest.

Well done on passing the real estate test! Good luck with the move :). Are you planning to move far away from where you currently live? 3000 books, that's a collection to be proud of :).

Yesterday my sister visited us and stayed the night (unexpectedly, though she did phone just before she got here). I'll be seeing her briefly in the early morning before she leaves for work. I talked with her a bit yesterday, but not lots as she arrived somewhat close to my own bedtime.

That sounds like a major headache. My personality is such that if a contractor or such didn't keep to their time frame, I'd go ballistic! I don't like feeling as though I can't relax in  my own skin. Ugh!

Thanks! We'll be moving back to our old home which is about 1.5 hours away. And yes, I AM proud of my collection and truly can't wait to have them housed in a permanent home!

Virginia congratulations on passing the real estate test. 

Talisman have you been to Croatia before, it is a beautiful place, we went there a few years ago and stayed in Porec, visiting Plitvice lakes whilst we were there it was a very long journey from where we were staying but so worth it.

We are looking to go back again next year and visit Dubrovnik and Montenegro. 

Thanks, shirley!

Ha! I take that as a definite compliment. Apart from Coran of course (and reading) travel is my biggest passion. It is something I have always wanted to do and always enjoyed, and now of course I have a few more funds with which to indulge that passion, which is definitely a good thing. Even so most of my travel does tend to be done on the cheap using low cost airlines and very often hostels. I have managed to book a lovely studio apartment for Split but Dubrovnik will be a hostel. It's a nice one though that doesn't have bunk beds - I hate bunk beds as I am only 5 feet tall and really can't abide the thought of climbing down from a top bunk to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night! That just doesn't work for me. I was then very pleased to find one that actually has proper single beds. :smile:       

Congratulations on passing your exam - I know what a lot of work went into it. Good luck too with finding a new property - 3000 books is a LOT of books. I am not sure how many I have, but nowhere near that amount. Most of mine these days are on Kindle anyway.

Here in the UK your employment (or in my case promotion) is never definite until you have completed a three month probationary period of settling in. My review was today, and I passed with flying colours, so I can now breathe a sigh of relief and say that I kind of passed my own exam too. My boss said some very nice things about me as it happens. I must admit it has been one hell of a learning curve but actually I am really proud of myself for doing it. If someone had told me three years ago when I first started here that I would be doing any of this I would probably have laughed in their face.   

Thanks, Tali! It most definitely NOT an easy exam and there is STILL so much more to learn. 

I love reading about your travels, you should probably consider a travel blog!

I've spent the early afternoon shopping. I don't enjoy it but I get satisfaction out of a fridge and cabinets stocked. I got all my vitamins, fruits, etc in house so I won't have to worry about running out before payday. Sometime today I need to buckle down and work on our taxes. I also need to work on the budget and update my Happy Planner.

A morning meeting overran today, so I missed my normal lunch break and it was too late to take one by the time the meeting had finished, so I ended up just leaving work early instead.  On the plus side, it meant the traffic was lighter, so it was almost an enjoyable drive home!  Popped in to see my Dad, and then come home to have a proper look at the new look forum :)

I've been trying to make this post a couple of times now but it keeps going work, so I'm going to split it up into parts (of quotes).

On 4-4-2017 at 5:48 PM, Talisman said:

Congratulations on the good result :). It's nice your boss said nice things about you.

On 4-4-2017 at 8:43 PM, Virginia said:

That sounds like a major headache. My personality is such that if a contractor or such didn't keep to their time frame, I'd go ballistic! I don't like feeling as though I can't relax in  my own skin. Ugh!

Gladly the contractors are not inside the house, so I don't see them that much (I hear them more rather than see them). If they were inside the house, I would go crazy if they had a delay! But all the contractors who have worked on this property and in the street and such, they ALWAYS have a delay. I try hard not to believe them when they say their time estimate, so I don't get too disappointed if there is inevitably a delay.

On 4-4-2017 at 8:43 PM, Virginia said:

I've spent the early afternoon shopping. I don't enjoy it but I get satisfaction out of a fridge and cabinets stocked. I got all my vitamins, fruits, etc in house so I won't have to worry about running out before payday. Sometime today I need to buckle down and work on our taxes. I also need to work on the budget and update my Happy Planner.

Nice you did all the shopping :smile:. Good luck with the taxes and budget and planner.

15 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

A morning meeting overran today, so I missed my normal lunch break and it was too late to take one by the time the meeting had finished, so I ended up just leaving work early instead.  On the plus side, it meant the traffic was lighter, so it was almost an enjoyable drive home!  Popped in to see my Dad, and then come home to have a proper look at the new look forum :)

It's nice you were able to leave work early and go see your dad :smile:.

It's almost weekend. I wish everyone a great weekend :smile:!

It's the same in this country with any work being done on paths, roads etc - for example there's been a sign at the top of my road saying that they'll be starting work on the pavements on 3rd April ie last Monday - have they started?  Of course not!  Most of the schools are on their Easter break now so the roads are quieter, so it would make sense to start works now....but no, they'll probably wait until the schools are open again and the traffic will be even worse than it normally is!

Having said that, due to the schools being shut (although a few don't finish til today) the bus has been lovely and empty with a nice clear run to the station, and I've been getting to work pretty much on time this week:D

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I've been trying to make this post a couple of times now but it keeps going work, so I'm going to split it up into parts (of quotes).

Congratulations on the good result :). It's nice your boss said nice things about you.

Thanks Athena. Yes, it is nice to get some good feedback.

I am just so relieved though that the staff issues (fingers crossed) are finally being sorted out and hopefully soon after Easter we will once again be fully staffed. I have been busy then this week trying to work out who will do what and when, talking to the different departments as to what they need. I have hopefully come up with a solution that will keep everyone happy, although I have to discuss it of course with the man who will doing most if it as well to make sure he is happy with it too.

I have also got the go ahead to order some new cleaning equipment so have been busy trying to source that and get some prices. I have arranged for a possible supplier to come and visit next week to demonstrate the machines I am interested in buying and see if it fits within our budget. We have around £1600 with which to buy a scrubber dryer machine, a carpet cleaner and an upright hoover, which this supplier says they can help us with, but we shall to see of course what they come up with.

For now though, it's the weekend so I have to forget about work for the next 2 days. :D   

It certainly is. Coran has a business meeting tomorrow for one of the websites she has been working on, which means I have the afternoon to myself which is even better, especially given the fantastic weather forecast (23 degrees). I plan to take myself off to Polesden Lacey for the afternoon for a spot of lunch and some reading on the lawn.

It was our monthly trip to Bridport yesterday (we try and coincide our visits with the food market), and it was an absolutely gorgeous day.  It was quite chilly and a bit foggy when we set out, but by the time we got there it was bright blue skies, sunshine and a lovely warm day.  Walked around the town and all the market stalls, and treated ourselves from one of the bakery stands - I had a portugese custard tart and OH had a raspberry crème brûlée tart.  Also bought myself a book, and OH is collecting some Ladybird books for his nephew, and one of the regular stalls had a great selection, so he bought some of those.  All in all, a fantastic day out. :smile2:

Today has been quieter, a lazy-ish morning and then off to do a bit of shopping, now going to have a relaxing afternoon and try and finish my book, and just generally chill around the house.  Busy week at work ahead, so making the most of doing nothing today! :lol:

I have finished work now for the next 4 days. It was a busy one today as our other cleaner has gone back to Poland for a week to spend some time with his children. The good news is that our new gardener is starting work next week and the new full time cleaner the week after that. I will then finally (after almost 8 months off and on) be fully staffed again.

Coran and I are off to Glastonbury for 2 nights on Saturday, staying at the Chalice Well Retreat Lodge where we had our honeymoon. I think Coran at least will need it, as it has been a difficult week for her. Her best friend was rushed to hospital a few days ago with a suspected blockage in her bowel - she has a genetic disorder that affects the collagen in the body and so does have a lot of health problems and it is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. Thankfully she is home now though.

It will be nice to have a good rest though over the weekend, as it will be very busy next week with the new gardener and our Polish cleaner not back until Thursday. At least I know though that our staff problems are finally coming to an end.

I hope you'll have fun in Glastonbury and that you're able to rest some over the weekend :smile:.

I wish everyone a fun Easter weekend :smile:!

In the Netherlands, Monday is "Second Easter Day" (Tweede Paasdag) (and Sunday is "First Easter Day" or Eerste Paasdag), which means it's an official day off (Bank holiday). I've heard that's not the case in for example the United States. So we have two Easter days, Sunday and Monday.