Your Book Activity - April 2017

Athena

How is it April already?!

I really enjoyed We Were Liars. It was a fairly quick read as well.

I'm really excited after watching the trailer for IT. It looks suitably scary. :D I think the movie is being released as a two-parter so hopefully they will capture all the detail in the book. It's been a long time since I watched the original, and I remember being a bit disappointed by the 'made-for-TV' feel it had. I have high hopes for this one though. :boogie:

I agree, it was a fast read :).

I hope it will be good!

I'm about a third of the way through The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's taken me 10 years to get to it, but I'm loving it! :D

I enjoyed this book when I read it when I was a teenager. I watched the adaptation a few years ago and wasn't quite taken with it, but I didn't remember enough of the book to know if they perhaps changed things or whether my reading tastes have changed if it was a lot like the book.

I'm still reading Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn 1: The Reality Dysfunction and probably will be for at least a little while longer. But I made great progress in it yesterday, so that's nice :). I'm enjoying re-reading it.

What's your book activity in April?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally finished Whisky Galore.  Didn't like it.  

I've just started Up Against It by Joe Orton.  Actually, I'm still reading the introduction by John Lahr, who's waffling on a bit!  Up Against It was the screenplay that Orton wrote for The Beatles in 1967.  It was never filmed.

Went into Waterstone's to order a book this morning, and after listening to a whole bunch of Backlisted podcasts where one of the presenters is a huge Anita Brookner fan, I came away with her first book A Start In Life so I'm now reading that! :D

IT is going great; I'm about 20% through and just loving it. I'm glad I've decided to re-read it. :D

:o wasn't it only like yesterday that you said you were going to re-read it? That's fast progress! I'm glad you're enjoying IT, I've read it several times and it remains an awesome book.

I'm making progress with Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn 1: The Reality Dysfunction, I'm now almost 2/3rds through it (~65% atm). After this though I plan to read a book that's shorter and easier to read. But I am really enjoying the story of TRD and my re-reading of it.

How is it April already?!

Wonderful, isn't it?  The clocks have gone back, it's light until a decent time in the evening, the wildlife is waking up, shoots are out on the trees, but the leaves aren't clogging up the view (one of the things I love about winter is that we can see the shapes of the trees, what's in them and what's through them), and the undergrowth hasn't gone rampant; we don't have to pile on layers every time we go out, yet it's not hot (high teens temperature is my favourite!). For me, spring and autumn are easily the best seasons!

Edited by willoyd

I'm halfway through A Start in Life by Anita Brookner and I'm really enjoying it.

Walked past the local second hand bookshop yesterday afternoon and couldn't resist stopping to have a look, and found an excellent condition copy of An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge which is one of the books left on my English Counties challenge, and at just £2 it was too good a bargain to pass on. :D

Has anyone heard of Stefan Zweig? I just finished reading his book The Royal Game and loved it so much that I'm about to start Beware of Pity.

Can't believe I'd never heard of him until a month ago.

Has anyone heard of Stefan Zweig? I just finished reading his book The Royal Game and loved it so much that I'm about to start Beware of Pity.

I haven't read any, but I have The Post-office Girl on my Wish List.  :)

I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles on Friday - it was good.  :)   I'm about to start Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel for my Book Club.  I'm not sure I fancy it, but that's the beauty of being in a Book Club - one gets to read things they otherwise wouldn't have picked up.  :)

I have the Post Office Girl on my TBR, but haven't read any yet. 

I'm halfway through Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope on audiobook (followed Claire's advice after struggling with the Kindle version) and am also enjoying When the Grey Beetles Took Over Baghdad alongside. :)

I finished Up Against It, it was a short, fun read.  I'm not surprised that The Beatles didn't film it -- I couldn't begin to imagine the controversy if they had!  That's what I like about Joe Orton, though.  :lol:

Up next is Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster.

I've had a good few days! I finished reading A Start In Life by Anita Brookner which I really enjoyed, and will definitely be reading more of her books.  I've started Almonds and Raisins by Kerry Greenwood which is one of the Phryne Fisher books, although I had intended it to be for a holiday read, I wanted something a bit lighter, and I love these books so I'm already a third of the way through. :D

I've also finally got to the end of Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore for my English Counties challenge, and have started listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle as my next challenge book.

Can't believe I'd never heard of him until a month ago.

I read The Post Office Girl back in 2009 (here's my very old review: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4028-the-post-office-girl-by-stefan-zweig/)and I did intend to read more of his work, but time has slipped away from me as usual and I haven't done anything about it yet! :D

I've also finally got to the end of Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore for my English Counties challenge, and have started listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle as my next challenge book.

I finished that last week (I forgot it was a Counties Challenge Book as I read the alternative).   Hope you enjoy it. :)

1 hour ago, More reading time required said:

I thought this one was excellent.  It really left an impression on me. :) 

Me too, strangely, Isaac Newton was mentioned in a discussion at a Sixth Form open evening yesterday and I brought up the book, I should probably have mentioned it was a fiction book though as I got some rather odd looks!! :D

28 minutes ago, frankie said:

I'm re-reading Popcorn by Ben Elton, and I'm enjoying it immensely! :smile:

Have you read any others of his frankie? :)

I'm currently reading Asking For It by Louise  O'Neill, author of Only Ever Yours, she really does like gritty realism in her books! :o

7 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Have you read any others of his frankie? :)

I've also read Dead Famous, which I really liked, too! :)  I don't really know why I haven't read any of his other books, then. Hmm! I guess the plots of these two were particularly appealing to me. I'm re-reading Popcorn because I found a free copy of it at the library book exchange shelf some months ago and as I was struggling with my mojo, this one was the only book I could take to (from the ones I tried). 

Is Time and Time Again the only book by Elton you've read?

Edited by frankie

53 minutes ago, frankie said:

I've also read Dead Famous, which I really liked, too! :)  I don't really know why I haven't read any of his other books, then. Hmm! I guess the plots of these two were particularly appealing to me. I'm re-reading Popcorn because I found a free copy of it at the library book exchange shelf some months ago and as I was struggling with my mojo, this one was the only book I could take to (from the ones I tried). 

Is Time and Time Again the only book by Elton you've read?

Yes, so far, but I have Two Brothers and The First Casualty on my TBR and will definitely get to at least one of them in the next month or two. :)

10 hours ago, chaliepud said:

Yes, so far, but I have Two Brothers and The First Casualty on my TBR and will definitely get to at least one of them in the next month or two. :)

I see you're going for the more serious Elton, or at least I think those are not comical books? I think I prefer the funnier side of him :) I hope you will like the books though! :)