How Much Do You Read A Day?

Adam

Due to being on half-term this week, I have managed to increase the number of pages read in a day - for the past few days I have been reading between 100 - 150 pages a day. :jump: I am trying to make the most of it as I know I probably won't be able to read more than 40 pages a day when I'm back at college.

Due to being on half-term this week, I have managed to increase the number of pages read in a day - for the past few days I have been reading between 100 - 150 pages a day. :jump: I am trying to make the most of it as I know I probably won't be able to read more than 40 pages a day when I'm back at college.

Lots of time to read is a blessing. You are so lucky :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I get back from college, and have normally finished school work by 5, and two thirds of weekdays I'm home alone. Then, I normally read from 5 to 12ish with an 2 hour-ish break for dinner with my eccentric parents and some msn. So, 250 pages in a day.

I get back from college, and have normally finished school work by 5, and two thirds of weekdays I'm home alone. Then, I normally read from 5 to 12ish with an 2 hour-ish break for dinner with my eccentric parents and some msn. So, 250 pages in a day.

Wow, 250 a day! :D

I'm a college boy and I read like 20-30 a day. I need to learn your secret :lol:

Wow, 250 a day! :D

I'm a college boy and I read like 20-30 a day. I need to learn your secret :lol:

Reading a line is impossible unless I've cleared up everything I need to do, i.e. homework, tidy something, phone someone etc., but if you settle down in a quiet tidy room with a book you enjoy, I think the results will suprise you.

Motivating myself to keep reading something if I can't really be bothered can be difficult, but generally I keep to 2 principles.

1. This book is rubbish, I can't wait to have it behind me.

2. I love this book, and want to digest it and see what happens, plot twists, developments, etc..

So, try that, Adam, and post up the result. :eek:

I'm a college boy and I read like 20-30 a day. I need to learn your secret :D

That's more that I can log in right about now... Unless you count in the school books... The secret is having someone else cook your dinner, baby-bro. And do your laundry (shoot! the linens!) and tidy up and... You get the picture.

when I do read I fall asleep.

Actually at the moment that's more of a problem than chores. I can organise a bit of treat/reading time but can't help nodding off over the book (no reflection on what I'm reading either).:D

That's more that I can log in right about now... Unless you count in the school books... The secret is having someone else cook your dinner, baby-bro. And do your laundry (shoot! the linens!) and tidy up and... You get the picture.

LOL, I wish I had someone to do all that for me. Between my training, studying, cooking meals, laundry, daily chores, social life (I'm a fan of the ladies :eek:), and everything else that life throws at me I can only dream about reading 250 pages a day.

My life is busy as :D . . . :lol:

• 14 years later...

I like to try and aim for about 100 pages a day but sometimes I can read more than this, other days a lot less, it really does all depend on how busy my day is. I’m lucky in that I only work Monday to Friday so weekends are completely my own so I can obviously read more then. It also depends on what book I’m reading; the writing style, genre, subject matter, font size etc. can all impact how much I can read in a day.

To be honest with you if I can read a little each day, I’m not too worried about how much I’ve read.

20 minutes ago, Kudz said:

I like to try and aim for about 100 pages a day but sometimes I can read more than this, other days a lot less, it really does all depend on how busy my day is. I’m lucky in that I only work Monday to Friday so weekends are completely my own so I can obviously read more then. It also depends on what book I’m reading; the writing style, genre, subject matter, font size etc. can all impact how much I can read in a day.

To be honest with you if I can read a little each day, I’m not too worried about how much I’ve read.

I'm the same, although I don't go out to work (I'm a stay at home carer for my father) I tend to read in the evening, although I have been known to read during the day. I very rarely don't read my book at night, whatever that might be and like you it depends on how much effort it requires. I do worry about how much I read every day though and there's more that I don't keep note of - magazines, news apps for example - and I am guilty of counting pages and aiming for a minimum of 50 pages a day.  I can read 100 or more depending on the text etc but I have learned that if I don't read 50 or so pages a day I get the jitters (just like an alocoholic gets the yips). If I'm too tired to read then I don't but it very rarely lasts more than one evening. 

My reading varies depending on what is happening in my life at the time.I always read something every day, if it is only a short story or two! If I have a good book on the go,and the time, I will literally devour it in large three and four hour sessions.

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I do worry about how much I read every day though and there's more that I don't keep note of - magazines, news apps for example - and I am guilty of counting pages and aiming for a minimum of 50 pages a day.  I can read 100 or more depending on the text etc but I have learned that if I don't read 50 or so pages a day I get the jitters (just like an alocoholic gets the yips). If I'm too tired to read then I don't but it very rarely lasts more than one evening. 

I used to be the same and keep track of my daily page count, but I was finding it was beginning to have a negative effect on my reading. Like you I would berate myself for not hitting my target and some days it was becoming almost a chore as I felt like I had to keep reading until I’d hit my page count for day, and I never want something I do for escapism and enjoyment to feel like that. So, I had to reset my mind and get out of the habit of keeping track. I found that 100 pages is the general average for me and a number I can (usually) quite easily hit, so I still have it as loose target but I’m not quite so hard on myself if I don’t quite make it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't aim for anything, but up the end of this year, I've averaged pretty much exactly 60 pages a day for the previous 5 years.  Slightly down on that this year at around 45 pages a day so far, but will probably pick up to around 50 pages a day by the end of the year as I usually read loads over the Christmas period.

Having said that, even a page count is not a reliable measure of how much read: most fiction paperbacks I read have about a half or less the word count per page of some of the non-fiction books I read.

Edited by willoyd