Hi I'm Matt from England

MattG

Hi,

I'm here as I love discussing books (and debating ;)

I read fact and fiction....especially crime, psycho dramas, whodunnits etc.

Fave authors: Robert Goddard, Jo Nesbo and loads more!

Really into the Scandivanian crime drama stuff that seems to have recently swept across us....e.g. Nesbo, Larssen, Kallentoft etc.

:)

Welcome Matt.  (pun intended- always wanted to say that )  ;)

I enjoyed the Millenium trilogy. Also read one called Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow or something similar but can't remember the author. 

Hi again,

Can anyone tell me how I can get more visible notifications to my profile?

None of the replies which people made to my post were very obvious without digging into this topic itself. I'm familiar with forums where you are presented with some indications, for example directly under the UserName or the people icon on the top right of web page, on some you see a coloured square for example with the number of new notifications or PMs etc.

Or perhaps send me an email? I did earlier on whether if my profile settings were correct, but I'd also expect the defaults to work fine. Anyway, for belt and braces I checked almost every box in the Notification options page! :)

Can anyone help?

thanks Matt

Welcome Matt. 

There's lots of info on this forum - hope you enjoy it.

Hi Anna,

Sorry I was a while to reply. I'm a bit green in the gills regarding the way this forum works. Is there a more obvious way that the forum can notify when you've received responses on a topic? If you look at my last post (above) you may see what I mean.

thanks Matt

Can anyone tell me how I can get more visible notifications to my profile?

None of the replies which people made to my post were very obvious without digging into this topic itself. I'm familiar with forums where you are presented with some indications, for example directly under the UserName or the people icon on the top right of web page, on some you see a coloured square for example with the number of new notifications or PMs etc.

Or perhaps send me an email? I did earlier on whether if my profile settings were correct, but I'd also expect the defaults to work fine. Anyway, for belt and braces I checked almost every box in the Notification options page! :)

Can anyone help?

thanks Matt

Here's how to do it for those who don't know: At the top right of the page, kind of all the way to the right of the topic title, there is a button that says 'follow this topic'. Click this button to follow the topic. You will be presented with if you want an instant notification or a daily digest or things like that. In your profile, click on My Settings (click on your name at the top right of the page, when logged in). Then click on the left on 'Notification options'. You should be able to specify to the forum if you want a notification on the board or an email, or both. If you have ticked the email box but aren't receiving any emails, they may have ended up in the spam folder.

Matt, I checked on your profile, it looks like you have all of those options set already to email. There was only one that was disabled, bulk emails (receive email from administrators), I have enabled that, maybe it that fixes the issue. Let me know if you receive emails now or not. If not, they may have ended up in spam (in that case, perhaps add the BCF address to your address book, maybe that helps).

Here's how to do it for those who don't know: At the top right of the page, kind of all the way to the right of the topic title, there is a button that says 'follow this topic'. Click this button to follow the topic. You will be presented with if you want an instant notification or a daily digest or things like that. In your profile, click on My Settings (click on your name at the top right of the page, when logged in). Then click on the left on 'Notification options'. You should be able to specify to the forum if you want a notification on the board or an email, or both. If you have ticked the email box but aren't receiving any emails, they may have ended up in the spam folder.

Matt, I checked on your profile, it looks like you have all of those options set already to email. There was only one that was disabled, bulk emails, I have enabled that, maybe it that fixes the issue. Let me know if you receive emails now or not. If not, they may have ended up in spam (in that case, perhaps add the BCF address to your address book, maybe that helps).

Hi Athena,

Thanks a lot for your help and your interest....

For what it's worth I adjusted those settings yesterday (can't remember when exactly!) and as of now: I did receive icon notification (on the top right) and an email notifying me of your reply! So things are looking much better already. :)

I've almost finished my current read "The Silkworm" by "Robert Galbraith" and I might write a quick review for this sometime.... where's the best place to go? The "Readers Hub" or "Library Shelves"?

I guess I pick up the forum protocol as I go...;)

Matt

thanks again Matt

I'm glad to hear you received an email :).

I've almost finished my current read "The Silkworm" by "Robert Galbraith" and I might write a quick review for this sometime.... where's the best place to go? The "Readers Hub" or "Library Shelves"?

That would go in "Library Shelves". "Readers' Hub" is for general book discussions (ie. Where do you love to read? How many books have you read this year so far? Paperback vs. hardback? Book News, Audiobooks, that sort of thing). Most of our members however, choose to keep their own personal book topic in Book Blogs, in which they write all the reviews for the books they read (for example, see Frankie's Log. (It would be unpolite of me to link my own log)). We also have the topic Your Book Activity, in which we post what book(s) we are currently reading and what we think of it so far and such. It's not meant for posting long reviews, just to tell people what books we're reading or buying (especially for those who don't have a log or who prefer to post about their buys in that topic instead of in their log). You're free to post your review in the "Library Shelves" if you don't feel like making a log, making a topic for The Silkworm (most of us put book titles in bold though not everyone does and it's not obligatory or anything!) or for the whole series, but I think we have a topic for The Cuckoo's Calling here, if you like I'll adjust the topic title to "The Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith", then your review would fit in there).

You're always welcome to ask things, we're happy to answer :).

I'm glad to hear you received an email :).

That would go in "Library Shelves". "Readers' Hub" is for general book discussions (ie. Where do you love to read? How many books have you read this year so far? Paperback vs. hardback? Book News, Audiobooks, that sort of thing). Most of our members however, choose to keep their own personal book topic in Book Blogs, in which they write all the reviews for the books they read (for example, see Frankie's Log. (It would be unpolite of me to link my own log)). We also have the topic Your Book Activity, in which we post what book(s) we are currently reading and what we think of it so far and such. It's not meant for posting long reviews, just to tell people what books we're reading or buying (especially for those who don't have a log or who prefer to post about their buys in that topic instead of in their log). You're free to post your review in the "Library Shelves" if you don't feel like making a log, making a topic for The Silkworm (most of us put book titles in bold though not everyone does and it's not obligatory or anything!) or for the whole series, but I think we have a topic for The Cuckoo's Calling here, if you like I'll adjust the topic title to "The Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith", then your review would fit in there).

You're always welcome to ask things, we're happy to answer :).

Thanks again Athena,

The information you just shared is very helpful....and the notification scheme is now working just fine :D So I'm gonna leave my settings right where they are!

Matt