willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Reading now?:The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

It threw me at first hearing......"he's gone to hospital", instead of "he's gone to the hospital".  We, Americans, always insert the "the" naturally. 

Also "pissed" over here means angry, not drunk.

In the UK, "He's gone to the hospital" would mean that he has gone to a specific hospital, but not necessarily for treatment  (indeed, a logical response to the statement wculd be "Why?", as in has he gone for treatment, or for another reason?  He might even be a doctor or nurse off to provide treatment!)..  'To hospital' means that someone has gone for hospital based treatment, without defining precisely which hospital they've gone too. 

If you add "off", as in "I'm pissed off", then it can mean angry over here too, in a fed up sort of way!

#42 Anna Faversham

Anna Faversham

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSouth of England

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Willoyd, you've put it exactly as I think it should be explained, but so much better than I would have done.

#43 Sazed

Sazed

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Reading now?:The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • LocationYork, UK

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I don't know about everyone, but in our age group, we use pissed (or pissy) as a synonym of annoyed or angry in the UK as well =)

#44 theultimateredemption

theultimateredemption

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

What bothers me the most is spell check on my computer. My spell check will automatically correct spelling to only American English, even if I meant to type the British spelling. 

#45 willoyd

willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

What bothers me the most is spell check on my computer. My spell check will automatically correct spelling to only American English, even if I meant to type the British spelling. 

What word processor do you use? Have you set the language to British English (some come with the default of American English).?

I use Microsoft Word, which is set, under File > Options > Language to 'English (UK)', and American spellings (like 'traveled') are picked up as errors.

#46 theultimateredemption

theultimateredemption

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

What word processor do you use? Have you set the language to British English (some come with the default of American English).?

I use Microsoft Word, which is set, under File > Options > Language to 'English (UK)', and American spellings (like 'traveled') are picked up as errors.

Ah, thank you! (Sorry, I'm sort of clueless about computers.)

#47 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Yes mine picks up US spellings as well, but I just ignore it, I know I'm right!

#48 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

It threw me at first hearing......"he's gone to hospital", instead of "he's gone to the hospital". We, Americans, always insert the "the" naturally.

Yet you miss out the 'and' when saying numbers like "three hundred and six"! :giggle2:

#49 willoyd

willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Ah, thank you! (Sorry, I'm sort of clueless about computers.)

There's a big club of us like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users