The War of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells

Raven

Just a quick heads-up, but there is a new radio dramatization of The War of the Worlds on Radio 4 at 2.30 this afternoon!

More here: The War of the Worlds.

Did you listen to it and if so, what was your impression of the dramatization. The original by H.G. Wells was / is certainly a classic.

Did you listen to it and if so, what was your impression of the dramatization. The original by H.G. Wells was / is certainly a classic.

I listened to it as a child, it was all very exciting.  I'm not sure now if it was the original Orson Wells version or a later one, I suspect it was the former. I remember my father telling me of the panic it had caused in America when it first aired.

I listened to the first part on Sunday afternoon, and can't say I was very taken with it. 

It may be a sign of our times, but it seemed to labour the psychological effects of the events on the main character and those around him, and quite a bit of air time was taken up with this. Whilst some of this was portrayed very well, especially the main character's reaction to the demise of the initial contact party, after that it quickly became repetitive. 

I'm also not a fan of radio plays where they have to have two people "in the room" at all times and move the plot along solely using dialogue.  In the original story, large parts of the book were spent with the narrator by himself, in this version there is always someone else present and the sense of isolation/disconnection from the world he knew has been lost.  Why they don't deal with these parts by having the main character narrate the story, I don't know.

I'll probably listen to the second part, but at this point I think I prefer the version the BBC did in the 50s.