What's Up in March 2017?

Athena

Coran and I had a great time at the march yesterday and met some brilliant people. It was a long day but definitely worth it. The media are reporting about 25,000 people as having turned out, but I reckon it was more like twice that.  

I'm glad to hear the march had such a big turnout. I may have considered going down myself with a few friends if I hadn't been home in Germany. I saw a video message recorded by Nick Clegg in German on Facebook yesterday, talking about how the rights of Germans and other EU citizens should have been guaranteed as soon as the referendum happened, and I'm really glad the Lib Dems are taking such an active stance on this matter, as all us "dirty dirty immigrants" have gotten so far was nothing more than a few vague statements and a lot of "can't say, who knows". It's just frustrating and anxiety inducing, and I'm lucky in that I'm a uni student with a fairly promising future from one of the strongest EU countries, so even if a controlled immigration policy is adapted, I probably don't have all too much to fear. I can't imagine how much worse it must be for people who emigrated from less well off countries, who I'm sure won't be getting too much sympathy from the government if it comes to deciding who can stay and who can't :/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We went to look at the showroom for the woodburners this morning, and looked at the fire chamber covering to see which would fit best.  Just need to decide on the stove we want now.  Also had a wander around a garden centre with OH - one of my least favourite day off tasks - but at least it's done now!  Had a delivery of some paper for my modern calligraphy practise, so I'm definitely going to set up an area to get all my things together to do some daily practise now.

Back to work tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear the march had such a big turnout. I may have considered going down myself with a few friends if I hadn't been home in Germany. I saw a video message recorded by Nick Clegg in German on Facebook yesterday, talking about how the rights of Germans and other EU citizens should have been guaranteed as soon as the referendum happened, and I'm really glad the Lib Dems are taking such an active stance on this matter, as all us "dirty dirty immigrants" have gotten so far was nothing more than a few vague statements and a lot of "can't say, who knows". It's just frustrating and anxiety inducing, and I'm lucky in that I'm a uni student with a fairly promising future from one of the strongest EU countries, so even if a controlled immigration policy is adapted, I probably don't have all too much to fear. I can't imagine how much worse it must be for people who emigrated from less well off countries, who I'm sure won't be getting too much sympathy from the government if it comes to deciding who can stay and who can't :/

Indeed. We were going to hang around for Nick's speech, but things were running a bit late due to the huge turnout, which meant that things didn't get moving until an hour later than they should have. I saw both Nick's and Tim's speeches on the Lib Dem Facebook page after I got home, and was very impressed by both. Obviously Nick has a vested interest, as he is half Dutch and is of course married to a Spaniard, meaning that his children are also half Spanish (and of course a quarter Dutch).

I think for me wanting to show solidarity with the EU citizens affected by this was one of the main reasons why I felt it was important that I go. Working in both social care and the charity sector as I do, my employer stands to lose a lot of its staff if the rights of EU nationals are not guaranteed. I can't of course speak for others, but the Eastern Europeans in particular whom I work with are among the friendliest and hardest working people I have ever known. I know a lot of industries are already struggling to fill vacancies because of the mass exodus of EU nationals uncertain about their future here, and I understand that there has been a 92 percent drop in nurses from the EU applying to work here, which is somewhat worrying.

I think you are right though, that those from less well off countries or with so-called low skills will get little sympathy from our Government. To me it is all completely ludicrous. I am sure that many will disagree, and that's fine. as there is room for everyone and all different views.     

Edited by Talisman

Just finished my five week Psychiatry placement in North India in the Himalayan mountains - amazing experience, incredibly eye opening.

On my last day I asked the Head of Psychiatry to sign a form I needed to get completed, and he asked for £100 in return. He refused to sign the form until I had paid the money. I asked several of the junior doctors in the team to sign the form instead, and they had all been told by the Head not to sign any forms. 

Really illustrates the amount of subordination and corruption in India's hospitals, particularly in a profession that is supposed to be held to a certain ethical and moral standard.

I've gone back home to Germany for the holidays, and I'm so happy to be back. I also managed to take a week off work so it works out so that I only actually have to work from home on two days while I'm here. The rest of the time I'll focus on my uni revision and assignments I have to do, and I should hopefully also have loads of time to just relax, read, and meet friends!

I hope you enjoyed your holidays :).

I've got a few weeks of down time as the last class isn't til 10 April and the exam is in about two weeks. I'll do some reading and maybe start packing up some of my books, etc. Our lease is up at the end of the year and we're looking into buying. Even if that doesn't pan out, we are out of here because the owner wants to get the house ready to sell.

I've been working out and have lost about 30 pounds. I want to loose about 6 more and I can focus on maintenance. I now need to go shopping as all my clothes are too big, yippy! But UGH because I have to spend money on new clothes, lmbo!!

Good luck with the exam, and well done on the weight loss :)!

Coran and I had a great time at the march yesterday and met some brilliant people. It was a long day but definitely worth it. The media are reporting about 25,000 people as having turned out, but I reckon it was more like twice that.  

This morning when we checked our lottery tickets we found we had won £25 so we treated ourselves to a pizza in Pizza Express. Afterwards we went to an exhibition of some of the clients artwork for the charity that I work for. We are at home now relaxing and catching up with various bits and pieces.

Well done on being in the march and congratulations on your win. Pizza Express makes lovely pizzas, I've been there a couple of times during holidays in the UK.

Just finished my five week Psychiatry placement in North India in the Himalayan mountains - amazing experience, incredibly eye opening.

Well done on finishing it, glad you found it an interesting experience :). Very strange about the money fee, that seems very corrupt money-grabbing.

I've been away on holiday in the UK. My boyfriend and I visited his mother and stayed at her house for a week. We met up with his sister and her son and saw her new house. We had lunch out with several of us, including my boyfriend's brother. It was nice to see everyone again. I had a great time being in the UK. We did some nice shopping too and we ate some lovely foods. We also watched some British TV which was nice.

I've been away on holiday in the UK. My boyfriend and I visited his mother and stayed at her house for a week. We met up with his sister and her son and saw her new house. We had lunch out with several of us, including my boyfriend's brother. It was nice to see everyone again. I had a great time being in the UK. We did some nice shopping too and we ate some lovely foods. We also watched some British TV which was nice.

Do you find many differences in the British culture compared to your own?

It's interesting how bizarre I find so much of the culture here in India, yet when I mention it to my family they just raise their eyebrows, because for them obviously it's all pretty normal.

Do you find many differences in the British culture compared to your own?

It's interesting how bizarre I find so much of the culture here in India, yet when I mention it to my family they just raise their eyebrows, because for them obviously it's all pretty normal.

There are differences, but also similarities. Of course, I don't know how much of what I've experienced is just the culture of my boyfriend's family as opposed to a national British thing. My boyfriend's family, those I've met, have a very laid-back attitude, whereas I try to plan almost everything. I think that's more of a family thing though vs. how I am. My family plans more than his family but not as much as I do. The UK seems to get more good deals / sales in supermarkets and other shops. Clothing generally seems a bit cheaper than here, though it does depend on what kind of shop you visit of course. The UK has lots of nice foods we don't really have (and we have lots of nice foods Britain doesn't have). On TV there are more insurance adverts than we see here on TV. Anyway, like I said, differences and similarities :).

What part of Britain did you visit Athena?  Hope you got some nice weather!

We visited Portsmouth :). We travelled through London to get there, so we saw some buildings and nature on the way too. I had been in Portsmouth several times before, but it was nice to be there again (after not having been there in a couple of years). We had great weather! I was pleasantly surprised, because before we left they predicted rain, but we didn't have much rain in the end. Temperatures were slightly colder than at my hometown at the time but they were still pleasant and we had some sunshine too :).

It's Friday!!! Finished work at lunchtime, and had a lovely little walk around the park, then ate my sandwich al fresco on a park bench. :D  Ran some errands on the way home, and now sitting with a book and a cup of tea.  

Not sure what the weekend holds, but I'm looking forward to a bit of R&R and hopefully some reading time.  Hope everyone else has a good weekend too. :)

I hope you had a great time :)

They predicated rain? Haha no change there then. It has been lovely weather recently.

Thanks, I did :)!

It's Friday!!! Finished work at lunchtime, and had a lovely little walk around the park, then ate my sandwich al fresco on a park bench. :D  Ran some errands on the way home, and now sitting with a book and a cup of tea.  

Not sure what the weekend holds, but I'm looking forward to a bit of R&R and hopefully some reading time.  Hope everyone else has a good weekend too. :)

I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend :).

Sounds like you were lucky with the weather Athena!  Glad you had a nice time.

I plan to rest during the weekend. I hope everyone has a great weekend :).

We visited Portsmouth :). We travelled through London to get there, so we saw some buildings and nature on the way too. I had been in Portsmouth several times before, but it was nice to be there again (after not having been there in a couple of years). We had great weather! I was pleasantly surprised, because before we left they predicted rain, but we didn't have much rain in the end. Temperatures were slightly colder than at my hometown at the time but they were still pleasant and we had some sunshine too :).

I love Portsmouth - we often drive down there for a day out during the summer, as for us it's only just over an hour down the A3. You proabably passed quite close to us on the journey down. If I had known you could have stopped by to say hello!

Coran and I are having a quiet weekend after all the exitement of the previous one. We have some leaflets to deliver at some point and if it doesn't rain we may even get around to cutting the grass. We have to pay the balance for our accomodation in Guernsey by 10th April, but I have been thinking about a trip to Croatia for maybe the end of September, as quite a few people I work with have been there recently and keep sayng how nice it is. Half of Game of Thrones was filmed there which a reason enough for me to want to go.       

I love Portsmouth - we often drive down there for a day out during the summer, as for us it's only just over an hour down the A3. You proabably passed quite close to us on the journey down. If I had known you could have stopped by to say hello!

Coran and I are having a quiet weekend after all the exitement of the previous one. We have some leaflets to deliver at some point and if it doesn't rain we may even get around to cutting the grass. We have to pay the balance for our accomodation in Guernsey by 10th April, but I have been thinking about a trip to Croatia for maybe the end of September, as quite a few people I work with have been there recently and keep sayng how nice it is. Half of Game of Thrones was filmed there which a reason enough for me to want to go.

I kind of had a full schedule so I'm not sure it would have been possible.

I hope you enjoy your holidays if / when you go there. I didn't know GoT was filmed in Croatia (then again, I sort of lost interest in the show).

GOT is filmed in a lot of places - Northern Ireland, Gozo, Croatia, Spain and of course Iceland. I have seen some of the places they used in Gozo and Iceland. I like the idea of Croatia anyway, but of course knowing it was used for GOT does increase the interest. It seems to be an 'in' place at the moment, and Dubrovnik can be expensive anyway, so it makes sense to go now before it gets even more so. I  am torn between Split and Dubrovnik as both were used for various GOT scenes (the Kings Landing scenes were filmed in Dubrovnik while the Slavers Bay cities were in or near Split), so I am looking into the possibility of maybe seeing both as there are good bus connections between the two cities and it only takes a few hours.