Your Book Activity - March 2017

Kylie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished While Flocks Last, an easy, pleasant, if rather innocuous read, where the author, Charlie Elder, travels round the country through one year trying to 'spot' the UK Red List for birds.  Trying out Margery Allingham now, with the first Albert Campion story, The Crime at Black Dudley.

Edited by willoyd

Finished While Flocks Last, an easy, pleasant, if rather innocuous read, where the author, Charlie Elder, travels round the country through one year trying to 'spot' the UK Red List for birds.  Trying out Margery Allingham now, with the first Albert Campion story, The Crime at Black Dudley.

....and finished.  Can't say I'll be trying any more - a very dated, awkwardly plotted story with a cliched setting and sterotypical, mahogany characters, almost laughably so.  Saving grace was that it was short. 

I finished The Little Paris Bookshop today.  It was okay, but nothing special, and didn't have the same charm that I've enjoyed in the contemporary French novels I've read over the last couple of years.

I've still not finished 'bookshop'..will I ever.

I've started reading I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. I had a whole other idea of what the book would be about, so I was rather surprised when it was something else entirely... I hope it's still good. 

Oh I hope you enjoy it....one of my top reads last year.

Oops...I did it again. Wandered in to BHF charity shop for a browse and saw a book that was on my wishlist....well it was only £1 and £1 in their loose change tin, so I had to buy....'The Two Week Wait by Sarah Rayner' (One Moment, One Morning author).

Edited by Inver

I've started reading I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. I had a whole other idea of what the book would be about, so I was rather surprised when it was something else entirely... I hope it's still good. 

I hope you enjoy it, I loved it.

I finished The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield yesterday, and it was excellent ... Persephone does it again! :D

I've started The Misses Mallet by E. H. Young now, and it's going very well so far.

Went to Waterstone's this morning with the intention of buying Storm in a Teacup by Helen Czerski, but they'd sold out and none on order, so I'll have to try again another time.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of browsing the shelves and spotted one of the Backlisted podcast books, so came away with a copy of that instead!  I'm now the owner of The Blessing by Nancy Mitford - a bit different from the book on physics I'd wanted! :lol:

Bought a couple of books in the Kindle monthly sale today - At The Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier and one of the Phryne Fisher books by Kerry Greenwood.  It's book 11 in the series and I'm only up to book 8, so I also bought books 9 and 10, and I'm going to save them for when I go on holiday later in the year. :)

Oh I hope you enjoy it....one of my top reads last year.

I hope you enjoy it, I loved it.

Well, yesterday I would've said it was going okay but I wasn't all that impressed, but today I did a good amount of reading and as you know, it took an unexpected turn :D It's gotten good! :) 

Oh dear, I've only gone and bought another couple of books :doh:  Amazon seem to have a Kindle Big Deal in addition to their Daily Deal occasionally and I noticed a couple of Lucy Diamond books on there today, so I've bought both of them. :blush:

I've finished reading The Misses Mallett by E. H. Young, so that's another book off my list of her books which I'm planning to read all of, as well as my 38th book on the English Counties challenge, which means I only have ten books left to read on the challenge as well! :D

Finished reading the Girl on the Train which I have to say was a good read.

Moved onto The Cornish Murder by John Bude a book which I learnt after reading the inside cover was originally written in 1935.

Knowing I'm getting close to the end of the English Counties list, I've decided to go back and try and finish Swallows and Amazons, but I'm going to read it instead of listen to the audio version, as I might be able to make the children seem less earnest in my own voice in my head! :D

Knowing I'm getting close to the end of the English Counties list, I've decided to go back and try and finish Swallows and Amazons, but I'm going to read it instead of listen to the audio version, as I might be able to make the children seem less earnest in my own voice in my head! :D

Getting on much better reading it myself! I'm upto chapter 14 already. :)

A batch of quick reads, as have had some time at home:

+ Soulless by Gail Carriger, as I needed to read a steampunk novel for the Popsugar challenge this year. Thoroughly enjoyable nonsense! ****

+ The Marble Collector by Cecilia Ahern. A solid enough read for my reading group. Fairly predictable stuff, well enough written, without setting the world alight: made a pleasant change but not an author i'm in a hurry to revisit. The twist of basing the story around the whole marble playing/collecting theme added extra interest.  ***

+ Polly, The True Story of Whisky Galore by Roger Hutchinson. Read this in preparation for a trip to the Western Isles later this year, the film being one of my all-time favourites. As interesting and as informative as I hoped - a good read.  ****

Now on to something a bit more meaty: Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence.  Approaching this with wee bit of trepidation as I really didn't get on with my only previous experience of Lawrence, Lady Chatterly's Lover, but have been assured they are different, and that S&L is better!  We'll see.

Edited by willoyd

I'm now reading We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Very good so far - I'm about a third of the way in. After that I plan to re-read IT by Stephen King, after having seen the trailer for the new movie out later this year. :boogie:

Just finished part one of Sons and Lovers, about a third of the way through.  Almost stunned as to how good this is.  My only previous experience of Lawrence was reading Lady Chatterly's Lover in my late teens, finding it singularly dull.  This is simply and beautifully written, emotionally intense without becoming sentimental.  I love the balance between the three elements.  So far, this has been a revelation.

I've just finished Swallows and Amazons, so that's another one off my English Counties challenge list. :smile2:  I'm going to make the effort to finish the challenge by the summer.

Not sure what to read next ... might have a quick, easy read as a bit of light relief before getting onto the next book in the challenge. :)

A batch of quick reads, as have had some time at home:

+ Soulless by Gail Carriger, as I needed to read a steampunk novel for the Popsugar challenge this year. Thoroughly enjoyable nonsense! ****

I love this series! I've read them all and have them on audio book too, and I like listening to them when I'm working on my own at something for a good bit of escapist fun. :)

I finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson last night, which I really enjoyed. I will probably start another library book next - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I'm glad you enjoyed Elantris :). I quite enjoyed it when I read it some years ago.

I'm now reading We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Very good so far - I'm about a third of the way in. After that I plan to re-read IT by Stephen King, after having seen the trailer for the new movie out later this year. :boogie:

I hope you enjoy We Were Liars :). And I wish you lots of run re-reading IT. What did you think of the trailer? It looked pretty scary to me. Have you seen the original adaptation? I quite liked that when I watched that when I was a teenager. I haven't seen it in many years, though I bought the DVD a while ago and I plan to re-watch it some time.

I'm re-reading Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn 1: The Reality Dysfunction. Things come back to me as I read them. It's quite a lot of fun to re-read this trilogy (by my favourite science-fiction author). The Reality Dysfunction was the book that got me into science-fiction and epic space opera. The only thing is that it takes me a while to read it, each page, and there are 1225 pages of it. I've been reading this book for a week now and I'm just past halfway. After this I plan to read some easier-to-read and shorter books (but then, almost all of my books are shorter than 1225 pages, there are only a few that have more pages).

I really enjoyed We Were Liars. It was a fairly quick read as well.

I'm really excited after watching the trailer for IT. It looks suitably scary. :D I think the movie is being released as a two-parter so hopefully they will capture all the detail in the book. It's been a long time since I watched the original, and I remember being a bit disappointed by the 'made-for-TV' feel it had. I have high hopes for this one though. :boogie: