Your Book Activity - March 2017

Kylie

One of my favourite books from last year.

I'm suffering from a lack of reading time, which is really frustrating.  My husband is out at a rehearsal of Rigaletto this evening, so I'm going to hopefully get stuck in then!  I'm sure I read somewhere (not here) that it was a difficult read, but I'm not finding it to be so, which is good. 

I've been feeling slightly fed up so bought myself some books.

Vilette by Charlotte Bronte

Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment (as soon as I saw it was about a daschund I had to buy it)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Chronicles Of Narnia series by C S Lewis

Sorry to hear you're feeling fed up.

I have Vilette to read and loved The Night Circus and also the Narnia books (apart from the last one, which I wasn't so keen on).  I hope you enjoy them.  :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been feeling slightly fed up so bought myself some books.

Vilette by Charlotte Bronte

Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment (as soon as I saw it was about a daschund I had to buy it)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Chronicles Of Narnia series by C S Lewis

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :). I bought The Night Circus quite a few years ago, but I still haven't read it. I plan to do so some day though.

I finished my last read and plan to pick a new book later today.

I was a bit disappointed in the Little Paris Bookshop as well, maybe it was the translation, I found it a nice read but a bit "twee".

I didn't like the last Narnia book either, very depressing!

I forgot to reply about the Narnia books. I read most of them when I was a child and I enjoyed them. Though my most important memory of them involves reading one of them (a library book) in the car on the way to France, and I got very carsick reading it (I think I was re-reading it but I'm not sure). I think since then I haven't been able to read as much in the car anymore (which I find a real shame). I did buy an omnibus of the whole series, in English, a while ago, but I haven't (re)read it yet.

Most of the way through Universal Harvester, *still* don't know what to make of it :lol:

Also reading Stranded by Bracken McLeod, which isn't the most well-written book I've ever come across but I'm curious to see what happens.

I started Family Roundabout yesterday and I'm already a third of the way through.  It's by Richmal Crompton who wrote the Just William children's stories, but this is a grown-up book.  It's very good so far!

It's also a Persephone book, and I was in Waterstone's this afternoon, intent on just browsing, when I spotted another Persephone book on the shelf, so have bought myself The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield. :D

I finished Family Roundabout this afternoon.  So enjoyable, and surprising for me, as there's not much of a plot, it's more of a meandering look at two intertwined upper middle class families between the wars.  Another to chalk up on my Persephone books list, and thanks to poppyshake for giving it to me for my birthday. :smile2:

I'm feeling quite restless with my reading lately. I've nearly finished Insomnia by Stephen King, and I should pick up How The Mind Works by Stephen Pinker which I started a while ago, but I'm so indecisive with what to read next. I was going to read The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner, but after browsing Amazon I've just now bought Grunt by Mary Roach, which I'll probably read next. It's a nice - if not frustrating - problem to have, with so many books to choose from. :D

Edited by bobblybear

I finished Family Roundabout this afternoon.  So enjoyable, and surprising for me, as there's not much of a plot, it's more of a meandering look at two intertwined upper middle class families between the wars.  Another to chalk up on my Persephone books list, and thanks to poppyshake for giving it to me for my birthday. :smile2:

Awww .. so glad you enjoyed it :hug: It always gets such good reviews so I thought I'd be pretty safe with it but you never know. Most Persephone books meander along though don't they? :lol: .. the ones I've read have anyway, but I love them for that. They're not hectic at all .. it's always so relaxing to read them :)

I'm currently reading Benjamin Alire Sáenz - Last Night I Sang to the Monster. So far it's nice, but I'm not that far into it yet. It's about a teenage boy who is an alcoholic. This book was recommended by someone who was an alcoholic when he was younger. I'm liking the book so far.

Awww .. so glad you enjoyed it :hug: It always gets such good reviews so I thought I'd be pretty safe with it but you never know. Most Persephone books meander along though don't they? :lol: .. the ones I've read have anyway, but I love them for that. They're not hectic at all .. it's always so relaxing to read them :)

Well, I've yet to read a Persephone book I didn't like yet, so you were pretty much onto a winner anyway! :lol:  Plus, I intend to read them all, so even if it had been a duffer, I would still have wanted to read it. :)

I'm actually going to start on another Persephone straight away, and I'm going read a collection of short stories next - The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield.

I think I'll finally be able to finish Midnight's Children tonight!! I've been reading it for over two months, so it's about time. I'm also about to finish my re-read of A Study in Scarlet, which I'm listening to on audiobook - the wonderful new Stephen Fry version  :wub:

After that, I'll be starting The Catcher in the Rye as well as Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, which, to be honest, I'll be reading mostly for revision, because one of my uni modules was basically just a summary of his theories.

I'm currently reading Benjamin Alire Sáenz - Last Night I Sang to the Monster. So far it's nice, but I'm not that far into it yet. It's about a teenage boy who is an alcoholic. This book was recommended by someone who was an alcoholic when he was younger. I'm liking the book so far.

I've read Dante and Aristotle by him and really enjoyed it :)

I finished Stranded by Bracken McLeod - not great, really. The ending was really bad.

Close to finishing Universal Harvester - STILL don't know how I feel about it! My response is will be all down to the ending.

Still reading Whisky Galore by Compton Mackenzie.  It's supposed to be a classic comic novel.  I'm a third of the way through it and I haven't cracked a smile.  I demand a smile out of this book!  A guffaw would be sheer nirvana.  Has anyone else here read it?  

There was a film made in the late 40s, which I haven't seen.  I wonder if that's any funnier.

I've read Dante and Aristotle by him and really enjoyed it :)

Nice to hear read that :). I've read that one too, it was really good! I didn't like Last Night I Sang to the Monster quite as much as D&A, but I still enjoyed it :).

Still reading Whisky Galore by Compton Mackenzie.  It's supposed to be a classic comic novel.  I'm a third of the way through it and I haven't cracked a smile.  I demand a smile out of this book!  A guffaw would be sheer nirvana.  Has anyone else here read it?  

There was a film made in the late 40s, which I haven't seen.  I wonder if that's any funnier.

l haven't seen the film - I have the book on my wish list, but maybe I won't bother now.  :)

I'm still reading The Essex Serpent.  I really want a good run at it, but I've been so busy.  It's frustrating because it's so good!

In the end, Universal Harvester wasn't amazing. I did like it, but it was just underwhelming, and I'm not really sure I even understood the point of it. Shame, as the cover is very pretty but I can't justify a hardcopy for my shelves without liking the book more.

I've started Niceville by Carsten Stroud - I absolutely loved the first chapter but I've read reviews saying it doesn't follow through on the goodness the beginning promises, so we'll see.

I need to pick a second book to start as well, not sure what it will be yet.

The Exile - James Patterson - a bookshot

The Girl on the Trail - Paula Hawkins - quite enjoying this one

Still reading Spectacles by Sue Perkins - this is so funny - well I think so anyway

I love the film!  I think it's funny, but I don't know how close it is to the book and I guess we all have a different sense of humour, so you may not find it so. :D  It was actually on television last weekend and it's available on BBC iPlayer until Saturday 25th 9:30am (I think they can only make films available for 7 days) if you want to watch it.

I love the film!  I think it's funny, but I don't know how close it is to the book and I guess we all have a different sense of humour, so you may not find it so. :D  It was actually on television last weekend and it's available on BBC iPlayer until Saturday 25th 9:30am (I think they can only make films available for 7 days) if you want to watch it.

Ooh, thanks for letting me know, I'll jump on iPlayer and take a peek.  :D

Ooh, thanks for letting me know, I'll jump on iPlayer and take a peek.   :D

Happy to be of service. :D

I've almost finished The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield.  Interesting collection, although lots of them were never completed, but there one in particular that's among the best short stories I've ever read, despite being unfinished.