Your Book Activity - March 2017

Kylie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Seed by Ania Ahlborn. It was okay, but I have found both her books to be a bit thin, like young adult books, but just a bit too grisly at times to actually be YA. Both books had great endings and even great premises and some great ideas - I just feel the concepts and stories would do better in the hands of a better writer. That said, I enjoyed both her books enough to read more by her when I'm in the mood for a light, quick horror.

I've started The Breakdown by B. A. Paris - I've read Behind Closed Doors by her, which I found to be a quick and easy, enjoyable although somewhat disappointing (the the end) read, but it was enough to prompt me to read this one. As per many of the thrillers I read, they're good fun books to read, just not overly remarkable so they get kind of mid-level ratings, even though I do enjoy reading them.

Oooh excellent, thanks for the recommendations. There are a LOT of opinions out there about Gone Girl, many not so favourable, so I've always avoided it, but given how much I enjoyed Sharp Objects I kinda want to read it anyway. I also have Dark Places, so I'm glad to hear that comes as highly recommended. :D

I understand about kinda wanting to read GG anyway. The good thing is that it's a quick paced novel and even if you end up hating it, it won't take too much time to read :) 

I abandoned The Evenings by Gerard Reve and started reading a crime novel by Jussi Adler-Olsen. I can't remember if the series has been translated into English. 

Finished The Waiting Time (Gerald Seymour).  Solid, rather dark, espionage thriller based around the aftermath of the end of the Wall, although rather spoiled in the last 30 or so pages by a couple of unnecessaryily gratuitous development/twists. Started Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Prisoner of Heaven.

I met up with a fellow Bookcrosser today who happened to be in Aberdeen for something else. She had recently watched and read 'Chocolat' by Joanne Harris and happened to mention on Facebook wanting to read her other two in the series. I happened to mention that I had them lounging on a bookshelf waiting to find a new home, so we met for tea and scone and a blether and exchanged books. I picked up from her

'The Weight of Silence' by Heather Gudenkauf (new author, although her name seemed familiar but it appears I haven't read any of this author. Think I was getting the similarity between Diffenbaugh and Niffenegger...had that ring to it...) :giggle2: 

We visited a lot of bookshops, second-hand and new, while we were in Bridport this morning.  OH bought another copy of A Month In The Country by J. L. Carr ... he says it's his fifth copy, but I think he's got more than that!  Every time he sees different edition, he buys it.   :D

I didn't buy any myself, but I did find my favourite ever section heading in one of the second-hand bookshops ... Cricket and other lesser sports :giggle2:  That's my kind of bookshop! :lol:

I got The Girl With the Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee on the Kindle monthly deals yesterday, I read In Order to Live last year and really enjoyed it, I'm really interested in the situation in North Korea and I hope I'll enjoy this one too.

That sounds interesting, Sazed :)

I'm halfway through Ashenden by W Somerset Maugham which is proving an entertaining, easy read. I'm seven (!) reviews behind but must get them done because I have so much to say about my last read - It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. I believe it is being/has been republished given current political situations.

I got The Girl With the Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee on the Kindle monthly deals yesterday, I read In Order to Live last year and really enjoyed it, I'm really interested in the situation in North Korea and I hope I'll enjoy this one too.

Have you read Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden? That's quite a good one about North Korea.

I have so much to say about my last read - It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. I believe it is being/has been republished given current political situations.

I've had this on my TBR pile for years and finally picked it up the other day because I've seen it in the news so much. :) I've probably only read half a dozen pages so far, and it seems good, but I'm not sure I'm in the right mood for it at the moment. I'll keep going for a while.

SaveSave

I've ordered "Confessions of Young Nero" by Margaret George in hardback, and as Amazon allows the buyer to preview a book on their Kindle, I've read the first 5 chapters. Can't wait to get the book in hand to read it!

Got it, am reading it, love it! :D

Finally finished Mysteries of the Crystal Skulls.  I found the last third of the book to be too repetitive, and skimmed a good deal of it.  3 out of 5.

Just now getting started on Whisky Galore by Compton Mackenzie.  A little bit of banter, and a whole lotta whisky.  What's not to like.  :D

I met up with a fellow Bookcrosser today who happened to be in Aberdeen for something else. She had recently watched and read 'Chocolat' by Joanne Harris and happened to mention on Facebook wanting to read her other two in the series. I happened to mention that I had them lounging on a bookshelf waiting to find a new home, so we met for tea and scone and a blether and exchanged books. I picked up from her

'The Weight of Silence' by Heather Gudenkauf (new author, although her name seemed familiar but it appears I haven't read any of this author. Think I was getting the similarity between Diffenbaugh and Niffenegger...had that ring to it...) :giggle2: 

I bought this book and 2 others by Heather Gudenkauf quite some time ago. I haven't heard anything about the author or the books from anyone personally (it was just that Amazon recommended it to me back then), so I look forward to hear what you think of the book once you've read it. I hope you enjoy it :).

Have you read Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden? That's quite a good one about North Korea.

I haven't, but I'll put it on my list! Thanks =)

Edited by Sazed

I bought this book and 2 others by Heather Gudenkauf quite some time ago. I haven't heard anything about the author or the books from anyone personally (it was just that Amazon recommended it to me back then), so I look forward to hear what you think of the book once you've read it. I hope you enjoy it :).

It probably won't be soon Gaia...:D

Yesterday I finished The Breakdown by B. A. Paris. As I expected, thoroughly enjoyed tearing through it, but it had a few flaws for me (far-fetched reveal being the main one). Gave it three stars, enjoyed it more than her previous one. Would still happily read more by her.

Today I'm going to start The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney.

After spending over a day not feeling at all like reading most books I could think of, I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult - Harvesting the Heart. So far it's nice. It's not got me hooked yet to the point that I desperately must read it above all else I could be doing, but I'm liking it so far and am curious to read more.

My mojo took a major nose dive after I struggled through Death and the Devil by Frank Schatzing. Really, I should have given up on it, but you get to a certain point when you figure you may as well finish it. :doh:  So, I've now picked up Insomnia (a re-read) by Stephen King to kickstart my mojo. Seems to be working. :D

I've been feeling slightly fed up so bought myself some books.

Vilette by Charlotte Bronte

Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment (as soon as I saw it was about a daschund I had to buy it)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Chronicles Of Narnia series by C S Lewis