New companion trilogy from Philip Pullman

chesilbeach

Philip Pullman has revealed he is writing a new trilogy called The Book of Dust that will be an epic fantasy trilogy and will run alongside the story of his original His Dark Materials series, and will be published in October around the world.

Philip Pullman unveils epic fantasy trilogy The Book of Dust

This is exciting news. I haven't read the original trilogy, even though it's been on my TBR for a while. I do plan on reading it some day. I did see the movie, which I liked, but then I heard that the books aren't like the movie, so who knows. I think I'll like the books though. Anyway, it's exciting news that the author is writing a companion trilogy, thanks for posting :).

Pullman has had heaps of critical acclaim, and his books are definitely better written than Rowlings, but they are just a bit too po-faced to have the same mass appeal (also, the film series stalled after poor returns from The Golden Compass and worries about how they were going to film the other two parts.  The up-coming TV series will probably correct/address that, so - coupled with the new books - Pullman's star should be set to rise again...).

It's been a long time since I read the original books but I loved them so I was really excited to see this news!

It was a long time ago that I read them - I loved the first one, especially the ideas of the daemons, but I did struggle with just how anti-religion he made the last one. As said above, it's really put me off.

This might make me sound really stupid but what was it about the last one that was anti-religious? I really can't remember it in that much detail but it was only a couple of years after reading them that I heard about how some people were complaining about the anti-religious nature of the books. I had always read it as a more political anti-corruption message and I never really got it. Particularly since... 

The whole concept of daemons seems to be based on the idea of having a soul. Which I always assumed is why Lyra has to separate from her daemon when she goes on the boat to the underworld place (I can't remember what it was called!) which is surely based on the boat across the river styx to the underworld in Greek mythology. Because of the religious idea that the soul is separated from the body after death? And the word daemon itself in Greek mythology is basically a persons spirit as far as I know.

As I said, it's a long time ago that I read them, and I can't remember any details, but I have a memory of God being portrayed very negatively, and I believe, killed? If I didn't have such a big TBR, it would be interesting to go back and re-read, now I'm older, and have some different views.

There does seem to be a lot of sites discussing it if you search, but many are Christian sites, so obviously are going to be biased. There is, however, his own words..

Pullman has expressed surprise over what he perceives as a low level of criticism for His Dark Materials on religious grounds, saying "I've been surprised by how little criticism I've got. Harry Potter's been taking all the flak... Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials

In my opinion they weren't anti religion, but were more about being anti corruption and fanaticism within a faith - just in this instance is was a form of Roman Catholicism gone awry in a parallel dimension. I found the questioning of what it means to 'own' a soul, (in whatever form), and what it can mean to hold your faith outside of the influence of organised religion, fascinating.

With regard to God killing, I saw that as a metaphor for the toothless nature of a faith that allows factions to develop within itself that seek skewed power and influence, rather than behaving as a conduit of sorts between mankind and God.

Oh ok, thank you  :D. I think I'll need to re-read the original three before The Book of Dust because I honestly didn't even remember 

the part about God killing!

Sorry Hayley, I went all deep 'n' meaningful for a moment there!  :blush2:

I really loved the trilogy for the story of it, so imaginative and original - and it was afterwards that I read about the hubbub regarding the religious aspects. The story came first though, and I loved the myths, legends and faiths being weaved together in new ways. 

The actual 'killing' scene was when there is a big battle taking place against Metatron at the war machine cloud . There is a being in a glass transporter being removed from the battle site who appears to disintegrate when released. That was supposed to be God I think. 

Sorry Hayley, I went all deep 'n' meaningful for a moment there!  :blush2:

I really loved the trilogy for the story of it, so imaginative and original - and it was afterwards that I read about the hubbub regarding the religious aspects. The story came first though, and I loved the myths, legends and faiths being weaved together in new ways. 

The actual 'killing' scene was when there is a big battle taking place against Metatron at the war machine cloud . There is a being in a glass transporter being removed from the battle site who appears to disintegrate when released. That was supposed to be God I think. 

Oh yes I remember now! Thanks  :D. I was thinking

that they had freed it rather than killed it! I'm basing this on the hazy memories of the story I do have but I thought it was weak by being trapped and that it became free when released!

. I would agree with your deep and meaningful thoughts anyway, I think it absolutely works as a warning against corruption and fanaticism in organised religion. I think it's going to be particularly interesting to see the second two stories in this new trilogy and find out what has happened after the events of The Amber Spyglass! 

Oh yes I remember now! Thanks  :D. I was thinking

that they had freed it rather than killed it! I'm basing this on the hazy memories of the story I do have but I thought it was weak by being trapped and that it became free when released!

. I would agree with your deep and meaningful thoughts anyway, I think it absolutely works as a warning against corruption and fanaticism in organised religion. I think it's going to be particularly interesting to see the second two stories in this new trilogy and find out what has happened after the events of The Amber Spyglass! 

I read an interview years ago with PP, and he answered his critics ie the ones who said the books were anti-religious, by saying pretty much the same thing - he's not against religion per se, but about religion being used as justification for doing terrible things.