When is a kids' book a kids' book?

Kell

I've just finished reading what turned out to be described as a children's book* - something I've been doing a lot of recently, & I thought I'd ask folks here a few questions:

When is a children's book a children's book?

Is it all down to the subject matter?

Is it the language or the writing style?

Is it something else completely?

I have to say that I haven't a clue any more. It used to be that you could tell a kids' book a mile off, but now the margins seem to have blurred a lot. Is it all down to the likes of Harry Potter & his ilk? Or is it something else?

There are books classed as children's books that I class as personal favourites even today, as an adult, (the likes of The Chronicles of Narnia, for example, & I loved both the Harry Potter series & the Artemis Fowl series too). Some of them are more "obvious" as being aimed at a younger audience, but when I see titles like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, I start to wonder what actually makes that a book specifically for young readers?

Anyone got any theories? I'd be interested to hear them...

* In case you're wondering, it was The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson & I'll be writing the review tonight...

• 1 month later...

I read 'young adult' books as I find them very refreshing.

I have now got books 1-5 in the Harry Potter series which I can't wait to read.

I also adore Garth Nix, his stories are so brilliant. I recently discovered Victoria Hanley who writes fantasy too and I also just bought a book by Patricia A Mckillip who also looks good 8-)

I'm a recent convert to Harry Potter, myself, Inanna. I only started reading them last summer & ended up loving them all (especially No4!). It was pure snobbery that prevented e from reading them esooner!

LOL I bought the 'adult' cover editions, so they don't look so childlike on my shelf :D

I've gotten used to picking up books from the teen section now, at first I was a bit apprehensive about reading them, thinking that maybe they would be too childish for me, but the ones I have read have been great.

• 5 months later...

For my job, I read a lot of children's books. It is sooooo hard to know where the lines are.

We often class something by the age of the narrator - but that doesn't always work - Spies by Frayn is written from the point of view of a 12 year old, but clearly an adult book!

One of my recent reads was Holes by Louis Sacher. This was really clever with the way that the stories came together - but certainly aimed at the 11-13 market, while still being enjoyable by older people too.

I think that a childrens book is on that explores ideas that feel particularly important to a certain younger age group, and is written in a way that will appeal to that age group too.

I have many children's books on my shelf unread as yet, because people bought so many as a child because they knew I loved reading that I could not get round to them all. I love reading my favourites to the children now. I would love to revisit things like the secret seven or read some I have not yet read, but I have to many more adult books to read. I always will love Enid Blyton though, and I am definitely a harry potter fan, no matter how basic the books seem for an adult. I love the fantastical element of children's books, and like making these kind of stories up myself.

I've recently read a few children's 'classics' such as The Railway Children (even though I've watched both versions of the films 1000s of times!), The Secret Garden and lots of Enid Blyton.

I want to read 'The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas' when it comes out in paperback - it sounds like a good read.

I never did get round to reading the book..

If you enjoyed the film , you certainly should read the book. It's one of my top 20 reads ever! From the first sentance you are carried along by the writing and the imagery.

Mine is Little Women, I loved Black Beauty,and Treasure Island too. I used to get annoyed with Robinson Crusoe I didn't like the way he made Friday a servant.

I still have a soft spot for children's literature, I read the worst witch series before I let my kids near them!