What's Up in February 2017?

Athena

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few days ago one of our chicken died, a brown cockrel. We're not sure why. He was born last spring, so he wasn't old at all yet. Hopefully it was a one time thing and not an illness. The others seem fine. It wasn't a predator. We have been seeing a predator bird around here catching pidgeons, but the brown chicken were inside with the door locked, so it's not possible a predator got in (also it would've eaten or destroyed all of them).

Nooo ! Poor cockerel. :( I hope all the other chickens are still okay. :)

My sore throat has come back, and now seems to be developing into a proper cold, haven't been able to sleep well due to the tickly cough, although I bought some different throat pastilles on the recommendation of a work colleague, and they seem to help quite a bit, clear the sinuses too! :badmood:

Awww :(. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:

I'm a bit sad as we're having to have the silver birch tree in our garden cut down.  It was just a small little thing when we moved in many years ago, but it's now far too big for our small garden, so it's got to come down.  I'll miss the blackbirds who nest there every year, and the dappled shade in the bedroom when the sun shines through it.   :(

That's sad news about the tree :(

Nooo ! Poor cockerel. :( I hope all the other chickens are still okay. :)

So far they are :).

My sore throat has come back, and now seems to be developing into a proper cold, haven't been able to sleep well due to the tickly cough, although I bought some different throat pastilles on the recommendation of a work colleague, and they seem to help quite a bit, clear the sinuses too! :badmood:

Hope you get well soon.

Following the incident with my staff member where he swore at both myself and our HR Assistant, the investigation has been concluded and they have agreed that it does indeed warrant disciplinary action. No surprise there then. The hearing was I gather this afternoon, so I await with bated breath the result which I will no doubt be informed of tomorrow. I must admit I will breathe a huge sigh of relief when it is all over. No one likes to see someone lose their job, but it is not the first time he has done things like this so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was the outcome.

Came home to a big gap in the garden where the tree used to be.  Haven't heard the blackbirds at all this afternoon so hoping they still come and visit us now the tree has gone.  I'll miss their singing waking me up in the morning when the spring comes. :(

Do you have Bluebirds, Cardinals, or Finches?

I pretty sure bluebirds and cardinals only live in North America - I don't think we get them in Europe, and certainly not in the UK.  We do get some finch species and we do get plenty of other garden birds.  We have a nesting box for blue tits and a bird table, so we see all the common birds such as house sparrows, robins, and thrushes too, and last year we even had a chiffchaff, but the blackbirds we so friendly, I really hope they'll come back without the tree to nest in.  The female knew what time of day my OH would take food out to them and if he was a bit late, would sit on the top of the log pile outside the back door singing until he opened the door to give them some raisins! :D

I hope your blackbirds come back, have you got somewhere else you can put the food?  The gap must look horrible but I suppose you'll get used to it, would you put something else there, or maybe something in a tub if you can't plant anything, to fill the space?

thanks for your good wishes everyone, it's a bit better but still coughing and spluttering!

We went to the vet with Boris (our dog) this morning, because of his paw. He's damaged the bottom of his foot slightly but because he kept licking and biting it, he's made it worse. The vet has given him an injection and we have to give him anti-biotic pills. It looks like he should be fine. He seems allright for now and isn't limping as much as he was a few days ago.

Then this afternoon, Boris was lying in the bedroom and he stretched himself - and broke a wooden board off the wardrobe :doh:. He snapped it in half. It's kind of a shame of the wardrobe, but on the other hand I find it slightly laughable that the dog broke the board just by stretching, what a strength he's got :o.

In other news, next week starts the construction of the cycle path through the end of our backgarden (along the train tracks). They're going to start by cutting down trees next week - so I expect that wil be quite noisy. A few weeks from then, in the second half of March, the construction people are going to start construction on the cycle path. According to the letter we got today, it will take 14 weeks (planned). I didn't think it would take quite that long, knowing construction people it'll probably take even longer, sigh. So it's going to be noisy and busy in the next while, and we'll have to take extra measures to keep the dogs away from the construction people. I might have to talk with these people as well. I always get really stressed out in situations like this.

In more positive news though the weather is nice, it's a bit sunny. I'm feeling pretty tired today, so I guess I'm going to take it slow the rest of the day. I had some things planned to do, but I'm not up for doing them. Instead, I'll be resting. I already spent a while lying down on bed this morning after returning from the vet. I would start a new book and read for a while, but I'm not really feeling like reading. Maybe I'll get inspired looking at my book cases though.

I hope your blackbirds come back, have you got somewhere else you can put the food?  The gap must look horrible but I suppose you'll get used to it, would you put something else there, or maybe something in a tub if you can't plant anything, to fill the space?

They woke me up this morning just outside the bedroom window, but I'm not sure if that's because they were complaining that their tree's gone! It doesn't look too bad, as the tree was in the middle of the garden, but very close to the wall of the extension (partly the reason it needed to go), so it actually looks a bit better and it's going to be much easier to go down the path to the garage as the tree and all the overhanging branches were in the way.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better  :flowers2: 

Thanks. :)

Finished work at lunchtime and I'm now at leisure as I've got next week off.  I'm hoping to do lots of hobby stuff and not have to venture too far from home, but we've not made many plans so we'll just wing it. :D

I love your work hours. May I ask what you do?

I pretty sure bluebirds and cardinals only live in North America - I don't think we get them in Europe, and certainly not in the UK.  We do get some finch species and we do get plenty of other garden birds.  We have a nesting box for blue tits and a bird table, so we see all the common birds such as house sparrows, robins, and thrushes too, and last year we even had a chiffchaff, but the blackbirds we so friendly, I really hope they'll come back without the tree to nest in.  The female knew what time of day my OH would take food out to them and if he was a bit late, would sit on the top of the log pile outside the back door singing until he opened the door to give them some raisins! :D

When we lived in Virginia we used to have a Wood Thrush serenade us every evening while we sat on the screened porch. This is a typical wood thrush singing.....turn your sound up. Scroll down until you see "song" and then click on it in the attachment. :)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

Edited by muggle not

Hope your dog (and wardrobe) are both okay Gaia, and that you manage okay with all the noise and disruption the construction of this new cycle path will bring.

It seems as if spring has finally sprung these past few days. I have started to hear the birds in the morning when I open the front door and the garden at work is covered wth a layer of beautiful purple crocusses. The daffodils will not be far behing them.

It has been a stressful week one way or another with the results of this disciplinary hanging. I was finally given the result today though - which was dismissal. Given the history, I believe this was the right result, and I must admit that I am relieved. It is difficult though not to partly blame yourself when this sort of thing happens as I know that with hindsight there are things that I could have done differently which may have prevented this. I cannot say that with absolute certainty though as with this particular person it was really only a matter of time before another incident did take place which may have been even uglier. I can't really blame myself then, all I can do is learn from the experience and try to move on, which I hope he does too.  

Hope your dog (and wardrobe) are both okay Gaia, and that you manage okay with all the noise and disruption the construction of this new cycle path will bring.

Thanks June :).

It has been a stressful week one way or another with the results of this disciplinary hanging. I was finally given the result today though - which was dismissal. Given the history, I believe this was the right result, and I must admit that I am relieved. It is difficult though not to partly blame yourself when this sort of thing happens as I know that with hindsight there are things that I could have done differently which may have prevented this. I cannot say that with absolute certainty though as with this particular person it was really only a matter of time before another incident did take place which may have been even uglier. I can't really blame myself then, all I can do is learn from the experience and try to move on, which I hope he does too.

I'm glad he was dismissed and that you feel relieved. Hopefully you can relax a bit more now.

It may not be over yet though, as he can still appeal, although I don't think it would make a difference. He does have that right though.

I intend to have a lazy weekend though and try to forget about it all for a while. I will be on my own next week as my one remaining member of staff has gone home to Poland to visit his children. The week after that though I am off to Malta for my own holiday. This time next week I will be on my way there. :smile:   

Popped into town today and bought myself some new books, as well as some books for presents as there are a few birthdays I needed to buy for too.  Also went to an art shop and bought myself a few pens for my hand lettering that I've been practising.  Unfortunately, it was a small shop, and they didn't have all that I wanted, but actually probably for the best as I to have a tendency to go over the top when I start something new, so just starting out with a few is a good plan. :D

Had a lazy afternoon at home, after that, and watched a film, finished reading a book and did some practise with my pens.  A good day!  Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. :smile2:

My crocuses are opening out too, and the daffs are all in bud.

I hope Boris's paw gets better soon, I did laugh at him breaking the board though (hope the damage isn't too bad),  he's one strong dog!

Edited by Madeleine

Got in a really good workout this morning, took the dog for a walk and did my grocery shopping. I've had my lunch and now I'm sitting on my sofa in my jammies (yes, its daytime!) in front of the fireplace, watching movies, reading and surfing the net. I'm really sore and tired as I've intensified my workouts and they are killer! I'm doing the 21 Day Fix. So far this year I've lost about 25 pounds, lost several inches and two dress sizes. The weight that I carry is turning into muscle mass so even though the scale says one thing, the fact that I can fit into clothes that I haven't been able to wear in YEARS (size 8, USA) I won't complain!! The only thing about this intensive workout is that I'm tuckered out by the afternoon and down for the count by 7pm and I wake up SORE!

Have a great evening/day/afternoon, y'all!

I intend to have a lazy weekend though and try to forget about it all for a while. I will be on my own next week as my one remaining member of staff has gone home to Poland to visit his children. The week after that though I am off to Malta for my own holiday. This time next week I will be on my way there. :smile:

I hope you will have a great holiday :)!

Popped into town today and bought myself some new books, as well as some books for presents as there are a few birthdays I needed to buy for too.  Also went to an art shop and bought myself a few pens for my hand lettering that I've been practising.  Unfortunately, it was a small shop, and they didn't have all that I wanted, but actually probably for the best as I to have a tendency to go over the top when I start something new, so just starting out with a few is a good plan. :D

Had a lazy afternoon at home, after that, and watched a film, finished reading a book and did some practise with my pens.  A good day!  Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. :smile2:

It sounds like you're having a nice weekend :)

My crocuses are opening out too, and the daffs are all in bud.

I hope Boris's paw gets better soon, I did laugh at him breaking the board though (hope the damage isn't too bad),  he's one strong dog!

It's so nice, isn't it, those new flowers :).

Haha, thanks! I hope his paw feels better soon too.

Got in a really good workout this morning, took the dog for a walk and did my grocery shopping. I've had my lunch and now I'm sitting on my sofa in my jammies (yes, its daytime!) in front of the fireplace, watching movies, reading and surfing the net. I'm really sore and tired as I've intensified my workouts and they are killer! I'm doing the 21 Day Fix. So far this year I've lost about 25 pounds, lost several inches and two dress sizes. The weight that I carry is turning into muscle mass so even though the scale says one thing, the fact that I can fit into clothes that I haven't been able to wear in YEARS (size 8, USA) I won't complain!! The only thing about this intensive workout is that I'm tuckered out by the afternoon and down for the count by 7pm and I wake up SORE!

Have a great evening/day/afternoon, y'all!

That sounds like a rough workout. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend too :).

A few days ago my aunt broke her ankle after she fell while walking (with her dog) :(. This is the second time she has broken her ankle, though last time it was the other ankle. I feel bad for her. My uncle has got a swollen leg and since his surgery some months ago he's not been feeling 100%. So she's had to take care of him since then. They're having bad luck and I feel bad for them.

Friday was a busy day here, with several people from different parts for the cycle path having a look around. I believe work is going to start on Monday, but I think they might not start here so it might not be until Tuesday that they are here (of course, if they're busy at the neighbours we'll probably still hear it).

This weekend we've gone into town and I loaned some things from the library. We also went into a couple of other shops and got some storage boxes my boyfriend wanted. I'm planning to phone with my sister later and we're having dinner with my parents tonight.

Hope your aunt and uncle are both okay Gaia and that you are able to manage the disruption from the cycle path construction okay. Hopefully it won't be too noisy for you.

It has been another busy week for me. Our new cleaner (he has been with us for about a month now) has gone back to Poland for a week to visit his children and attend some medical appointments for his youngest son who has Asperger's. This would have meant that I had to manage the workload on my own, which is a pretty tough call for a 15 acre site. Luckily for me though my new boss has agreed to get some contract cleaners in to help out at least in the mornings. They sent us a lovely Spanish man, who speaks very little English but is a great worker. So far we have managed to communicate using the google translate on his phone, which seems to work well. He is cleaning all the office areas, leaving me to do the rest, which I can just about manage. I am of next week, so we need to make a decision as to whether we use them for another week. My boss said he has a friend of a friend who may be able to help, which would of course be a lot cheaper, so they may well choose that option, assuming this person is available. I am sure that somehow though they will muddle through in my absence.

Tomorrow is the deadline for my colleague who was dismissed to lodge his appeal. He told them he didn't have any keys to hand in, but I knew different. As he left some of his property behind, my boss with one of the other Managers went round to his house to deliver his stuff and collect the keys at the same time. This could potentially have been a serious security issue (bear in mind another disgruntled ex staff member tried to set fire to the place a few months ago), so bearing this in mind, we have decided to place combination padlocks on all the storage sheds that we use for our chemicals. I couldn't think of what combination to use that I would remember, so went with the year I was born, as I am not going to forget that in a hurry! The more stories I hear about this person and the things he did that I was not aware of, the more I realise how right that decision was to get rid of him.

Edited by Talisman