What's Up in February 2017?

Athena

Sorry to hear about the chicken Athena, I hope it didn't have bird flu, we're having some outbreaks here in the UK.  Hope the others are OK.

Talking of viruses, woke up with a sore throat this morning and think I'm coming down with a cold.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Athena, sorry to hear one of your chickens died :( 27 chickens!! So many. I actually really like chickens, I've never been around one in real life but I actually wouldn't mind having a few. I don't eat many eggs though, I would probably have to try and sell the eggs. It'd make me a bit of a hypocrite though, as chicken is largely the only meat I eat. :roll:

Thanks :). It's nice to hear you like chickens. Eggs from our own chicken generally taste better than store bought ones in our opinion, and we often give them away to family and friends. During the winter though, chickens don't lay many eggs so we don't have so many right now. I do eat chicken meat, but not so much (never from our own chicken, always store-bought).

I've a busyish week at work this week, stuff I need to get done and have been putting off, sigh. But I shouldn't complain, tis a good job and I don't have it for much longer.

Good luck with your week at work :). Does that mean you'll be out of a job soon :(

A shame about your chicken, Athena.  I hope that the others stay fit and healthy!

I was trawling eBay last night for the first time in ages, and caught sight of the most fantastically beautiful yellow lace agate crystal skull.  It's covered with large, deep geodes.  It is SO striking.  I had to buy it, even though it wasn't in my budget for this month.  It'll be one of the largest skulls I own, at 76mm in length.  I should have it in my hands by the end of the week, and I'm so excited!

Thanks Onion Budgie :). I hope you'll like the skull, it certainly looks unique :)

Sorry to hear about the cockerel. It's always awful when that happens.

Hope everybody is feeling okay. Had a long weekend as been away celebrating a family birthday. Back to reality tomorrow.

Thanks Lau Lou :).

Sorry to hear about your chicken Athena - hope it wasn't anything that will affect the other ones.

Thanks Talisman :).

Sorry to hear about the chicken Athena, I hope it didn't have bird flu, we're having some outbreaks here in the UK.  Hope the others are OK.

Talking of viruses, woke up with a sore throat this morning and think I'm coming down with a cold.

Thanks Madeleine :). I really hope it isn't bird flu, as we've had outbreaks in our country too. But it is unlikely, because our chicken have been inside locked up for over a month now because of the bird flu. I don't see how he could've got infected, other birds cannot go inside the house the chicken are in. I'll be happy once it's the end of March and the chicken are allowed outside again. It's very sad like this, to keep them in a smallish space inside, but I understand it's necessary. I look forward to see them being able to walk around again. So far the other chicken in that same house as the one who died (we have multiple locations in the garden where we have chicken), are doing allright. No one sounds ill, they seem to be their normal selves. We have no explanation yet as to what happened with the one who died.

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Oh that's not nice :(. I hope you'll be able to find another nice job.

Meeeeee too. I'm kinda half looking now while there's no real stress to find another one. My employment history is quite sketchy though (long periods of unemployment due to anxiety/depression) and my anxiety makes applications and interviewing almost crippling (hence unemployment), so it's quite difficult. Hopefully the meds I'm on now will make it a bit easier.

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken, Athena!  I've often thought about having chickens, and now that I'll have my own home I'm seriously considering it.  I have a question, though, it gets quite cold here for 2-3 months in winter.  Below 0 many nights.  From you've said it gets cold there too... Do you have a heater for them?  Or do they have a place they go to keep warm?  My sister gave me a magnet last year that says "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chickens, and chickens make you happy." :lol:

Continued good vibes to you, Noll!  It's nice you know when your end-date is, rather than sitting and wondering when you last day might be.  

I'm looking forward to a day off this week; I'll be driving down to the cities to visit the salon and meet up with some old friends.  Also meeting with the realtor.  There's been a hiccup with my closing date and now I may not be moving until April, ugh  :negative:

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken, Athena!  I've often thought about having chickens, and now that I'll have my own home I'm seriously considering it.  I have a question, though, it gets quite cold here for 2-3 months in winter.  Below 0 many nights.  From you've said it gets cold there too... Do you have a heater for them?  Or do they have a place they go to keep warm?  My sister gave me a magnet last year that says "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chickens, and chickens make you happy." :lol:

What a great magnet! The coldest I remember it to be since we've had chicken, is -15 °C (Google tells me this is 5 °F). They were fine then, but it is vital that their houses be closed at night or they would freeze to death. They sleep in a wooden house, we have 5 of those. The houses are all different as we came by them in different ways. Some my dad built himself, one was a gift someone wanted to get rid of, and two were I believe either partly here already when we moved, or my dad built them too. The chicken are okay with temperatures just below 0 °C, at night they will sit close together in the house, keeping each other warm. We don't have heaters for our chicken, we don't need those (gladly). Every day, when it begins to get dark, we close all the chicken houses so they are safe for the night. If we don't do this, they could freeze to death in the winter (obviously summer wouldn't be a problem, though too hot temperatures aren't nice for them either).

Another reason we close them up at night though, is the predators around here. They cannot get inside the houses if the houses are closed, and predators seem to hunt more often at night or dusk or dawn rather than in full daylight (with the exception of some predatory birds). If it is quite cold even during the day, they might not spend much time outside of their house. If it is at all possible though they will go outside of their house, because they like to look around the ground and find things to eat.

I'm looking forward to a day off this week; I'll be driving down to the cities to visit the salon and meet up with some old friends.  Also meeting with the realtor.  There's been a hiccup with my closing date and now I may not be moving until April, ugh  :negative:

I hope you'll be able to move sooner and that things will go okay :(.

My skull arrived!  I had to go into town to collect it, and holy moly is it COLD out there today.  But the skull is with me, safe and sound, and it is be-yoooo-tiful.  I've pinged my Tingsha cymbals at it to sound-cleanse it, and now it's sitting here on my computer table, along with all the others, looking up at me.  :D

While I was in town, I couldn't resist popping into the health shop to have a poke around, and ended up buying half my body weight in walnuts.  Go me!  :lol:

Hope everyone else's day is going well.

Glad you got your skull OB and I do hope you manage to sort something out about another job as well Noll. It must be very difficult for you with the uncertainty but at least you have a few months in which to get things sorted.

I am getting really fed up at the moment with my work situation. It would be okay being a Manager if you didn't have to manage people, and sadly it seems like I have been lumbered with a lot of inherited stuff that hasn't been dealt with and is now coming to a head. My staff member had his investigation meeting with the person who has been appointed to lead it all. The meeting was held in the room next to where we have our tea breaks, and you could hear a few raised voices in there, although not what was being said. The investigator wanted to see me today to ask a few questions which was fine, and also our new cleaner as he was a witness to some of what was said. They will write a report in due course and make some recommendations and a decision I guess, which could really go either way.

I have a week off at the end of February and feel as if I need it.  

My skull arrived!  I had to go into town to collect it, and holy moly is it COLD out there today.  But the skull is with me, safe and sound, and it is be-yoooo-tiful.  I've pinged my Tingsha cymbals at it to sound-cleanse it, and now it's sitting here on my computer table, along with all the others, looking up at me.   :D

I'm glad the skull arrived safely :)

For some reason, I've been in a grump all day.  Hopefully now I'm home, I'll start to relax and will cheer up a bit.  Nothing much else going on, except work obviously, and nothing planned until the weekend.  Can't wait for Friday afternoon. :yes:

I hope you'll feel better in the weekend :).

I have a week off at the end of February and feel as if I need it.

I'm sorry your work is rough at the moment. I hope you'll feel more rested after your week off :).

I'm pretty tired today, because I went out for dinner yesterday. It was great food and great company :). Today I'll be taking things a bit slow, because it was quite busy at the restaurant (more then expected, more than usually according to the waiter) so I'm tired from it. I don't go out for dinner that often (because it tires me and because it costs a lot of money), but I am happy we did it now as I had lots of fun. It will take me a few days to recover from it though.

I think a lof of people are tired at the moment Gaia, I know that I am and most of the men I work with have been saying the same thing as well. It just feels energeticlaly that is a lot of stuff going on at the moment, not just in my own life but also in the world at large. It feels like everything is being broken apart so that it can be built up again. All I can say is it damn well better be worth it!   

I think a lof of people are tired at the moment Gaia, I know that I am and most of the men I work with have been saying the same thing as well. It just feels energeticlaly that is a lot of stuff going on at the moment, not just in my own life but also in the world at large. It feels like everything is being broken apart so that it can be built up again. All I can say is it damn well better be worth it!

That's true, what's going on in the world right now, it costs a lot of people a lot of energy (me included). I agree!

I agree with Talisman, for us having winter at the moment it's cold and dreary - today seems to be especially vile - and it's tiring working, commuting especially in bad weather, hanging around for buses, and I have a really annoying tickly cough which is one of the things keeping me awake at night.  the days are getting a bit longer so there's hope ahead!

Thank goodness it's the weekend.  Had to work late last night, but I finish at lunchtime on Fridays, so I've had a relaxing afternoon to make up for it.  Had to go and do a bit of shopping, although I forgot to get a new pair of gloves as the top of one finger has started unravelling on my current pair - I'm going to regret that tomorrow when it's probably going to be below freezing when I go out.  :cold: 

Looking forward to the rest of the weekend, we're planning to go out for a walk, and I also intend to do some catching up with my reading, and maybe a bit of planning some days out for when I'm off work soon.  Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

I've  been given clearance to return to my old job and a transfer date which is earlier than I had hoped. I expected to be able to return at the start of May but once my old manager found out I wanted to return he negotiated a return of mid March. To say I am happy is an understatement, my current job has been grinding me down and I really haven't been enjoying it at all. I am looking forward to getting back to normality and being able to plan my life away from work again. I'm also owed a load of holiday which i have been I can carry over into the coming tax year so I will have loads of free time in the coming few months.

:D

I might actually be able to read a bit more again.

More immediate plans, I am taking my girlfriend out for lunch today at our favourite Italian place today.

I am very glad to hear that Brian - that things are finally looking up.

There is no news yet about the fate of my staff member who has been suspended. The investigation must be almost complete by now though, so I expect we will hear some time next week. After that I may nor may not be recruiting 2 new people rather than just the 1.

It's the weekend though - yay! Coran and I got the food shop out of the way last night so that we had the weekend free. As Valentines is on a work day and we will both be knackered, we are going out to celebrate today. I have to go into Guildford anyway, as once again I am running out of Lush stuff. There are a few other bits and pieces I need for my trip to Malta as well, which will be 2 weeks today. That's a thought, almost exactly 2 weeks from now I will be about to take off from Gatwick. As we are going shopping today though, we will also go to our favourite veggie restaurant for a nice lunch.

The rest of the day will I expect be spent hiding under the duvet with my Kindle and the hot choc I bought last night.  

I've  been given clearance to return to my old job and a transfer date which is earlier than I had hoped. I expected to be able to return at the start of May but once my old manager found out I wanted to return he negotiated a return of mid March. To say I am happy is an understatement, my current job has been grinding me down and I really haven't been enjoying it at all. I am looking forward to getting back to normality and being able to plan my life away from work again. I'm also owed a load of holiday which i have been I can carry over into the coming tax year so I will have loads of free time in the coming few months.

That's great news Brian :D!

I hope everyone has a great weekend :)!

Woke up to a light snow shower, which is unusual, as the town where we live is shielded by a big hill and the river, so it tends to have milder weather than all around, but we decided to head out for the morning anyway and took a trip down to Dorset.  It snowed all the way, but it was very light and wasn't settling anywhere, so not too worrying.  

We walked around the market, but not many stallholders out in the cold weather, so it was a brisk walk rather than our usual stroll! :D  Obviously had to have a wander around Waterstone's and bought myself another couple of books, and then stopped for coffee and a quick read before heading down to the beach.  It was grey, but the snow had stopped by then, although the temperature was still around freezing, but I love being on the beach no matter what the weather.  I think most people must have decided to stay at home in the warm, as there wasn't much traffic on the journey home either.

Just planning to settle down in front of the fire and read this afternoon. :)

My sore throat has come back, and now seems to be developing into a proper cold, haven't been able to sleep well due to the tickly cough, although I bought some different throat pastilles on the recommendation of a work colleague, and they seem to help quite a bit, clear the sinuses too! :badmood:

Hope you feel better soon Madeleine  :empathy: 

I'm a bit sad as we're having to have the silver birch tree in our garden cut down.  It was just a small little thing when we moved in many years ago, but it's now far too big for our small garden, so it's got to come down.  I'll miss the blackbirds who nest there every year, and the dappled shade in the bedroom when the sun shines through it.  :(