What's Up in February 2017?

Athena

It's already February!

To quote from the previous topic:

Sadly it didn't last for long. One of my team members didn't show up for work today and didn't call to let me know why. I tried to call him all morning but his phone was switched off. I finally got an answer at about 12.30pm when he informed me that he had a bad night and someone at work had upset him yesterday. He has a history of thinking that other people are talking about him and has been disciplined for challenging them on this when they haven't done anything at all. Whatever he imagines someone has said is obviously serious enough to be keeping him awake at night and affecting his work. It is clear to me then that I need to have a long talk with him tomorrow, which I cannot say I am looking forward to.

Good luck with the talk! It seems very odd he didn't report himself sick. Like Michelle and Noll said, I would expect there to be a harsh talk if someone doesn't show up for work and they didn't call in sick (unless they were like in a car accident on the way to work). It's not nice for him though that he's kind of paranoid about people talking about him.

Sick again. Ugh. Might have to go to doctor again, few people I know who've been as ill as this with recurring colds have had bacterial infections too and wound up on antibiotics or steroids and I may need the same. (Previous doc in December said I was fine, just keep taking inhalers. Have a new doc now.)

Otherwise, things are pretty good. Took a day off sick today (I emailed in! I too would be in trouble if I didn't do so!) and not looking forward to going in tomorrow coz I always feel guilty, but it'll be fine. I haven't checked my emails all day, which is a really good example of how my anti-depressants are helping with my anxiety. Previously with sick days I'd be panicky and checking my emails until I got a reply from my manager saying it was okay, and if they were blunt at all I'd be worrying all day. Now I'm like 'pfft, I'm entitled to sick leave, I'll deal with the response tomorrow.' :D

I hope you'll feel better soon, Noll :flowers2:.

Not a lot to tell about what's going on here today, but I seem to be coming down with a cold (either that, or severe allergies) :(.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay, I love February! :wub:  I have some time off at the end of the month, but have some extra work to do before then, so I'm just focussing on getting through to my holiday! :D

Today's been a ok day at work, but glad to be home in the warm, and planning to try and do a bit of reading this evening ... but then, I always think that, and I just never seem to find time.

Are you planning anything special for your holiday?

My cold seems to have been allergies, at least, it's not got any worse but a bit better instead. I'm happy about that. I hate having colds, I spent half my childhood with a blocked up and / or drippy nose, if anyone so much as sneezed in my direction I would get sick.

I did a lot of book cataloguing yesterday, that was fun. Now I'm working on making a card for a family friend's birthday. I'm not able to come to the party but she will get a card and gift.

Hey y'all!

I can't believe its February already! We've got a busy month ahead of us. Saturday is our anniversary and Sunday is Super Bowl. Monday I'm scheduled to start my real estate class and the following Friday we're going back home for a wedding hubby is in. We'll be spending the weekend, got the dog booked at the kennel, hotel room booked and plans to drive into Savannah to walk River Street and eat at our favorite restaurant. Then its back to finish up my real estate course. In between all of that I'm working out (over 20lbs down) and trying to get my reading/writing mojo back on track.

I've been on the forum several times daily but haven't responded as most times I'm on my tablet or cell and I get tired of swiping, lol! So I just save my BIG posts for when I'm on my laptop. Anyone else avoid chatting because of the type of electronic you're on?

Have a great and healthy day!

Are you planning anything special for your holiday?

I'll be meeting up with Janet and poppyshake for coffee one day, and I've got to get my car serviced and MOT'd another day, but apart from that nothing much. We'll probably try to go out for a couple of day trips and otherwise, just relax and not go to work! :D

I've been on the forum several times daily but haven't responded as most times I'm on my tablet or cell and I get tired of swiping, lol! So I just save my BIG posts for when I'm on my laptop. Anyone else avoid chatting because of the type of electronic you're on?

Yes, I definitely do that. I only post the odd post on my tablet unless I've got the bluetooth keyboard for it out, as I'm a touch typist and I find single finger typing on an onscreen keyboard just too frustrating. :lol: I hardly ever post from my phone, although I do read the forum on it sometimes when I'm out.

I occasionally read the forum on my phone, but 95 percent of the time I am on my desktop at home.

Unfortunately things have esclated at work. Because of his over the top reaction to a very reasonable letter that he was given re what happened, and the way in which he spoke to a members of HR, whom be basically swore at, he has now been suspended pending an investigation. Given this man's history, which as it transpired as his very recent Manager I was not totally aware of, it seems quite likely that he will not be back. That will then be 2 staff members gone in the 2 month period since I took this job. It isn't me honestly!

At least the opera I went to see was good and I have a partner I can cuddle up to at night. :smile:  This management lark is certainly a challenge though - phew!    

I'll be meeting up with Janet and poppyshake for coffee one day, and I've got to get my car serviced and MOT'd another day, but apart from that nothing much. We'll probably try to go out for a couple of day trips and otherwise, just relax and not go to work! :D

Sounds like a nice time :D

I occasionally read the forum on my phone, but 95 percent of the time I am on my desktop at home.

Same.

Unfortunately things have esclated at work. Because of his over the top reaction to a very reasonable letter that he was given re what happened, and the way in which he spoke to a members of HR, whom be basically swore at, he has now been suspended pending an investigation. Given this man's history, which as it transpired as his very recent Manager I was not totally aware of, it seems quite likely that he will not be back. That will then be 2 staff members gone in the 2 month period since I took this job. It isn't me honestly!

At least the opera I went to see was good and I have a partner I can cuddle up to at night. :smile:  This management lark is certainly a challenge though - phew!

Sorry to hear that, it's probably just bad luck these things happen just as you've become manager. I'm glad you enjoyed the opera you saw.

Sounds like a nice time :D

Same.

Sorry to hear that, it's probably just bad luck these things happen just as you've become manager. I'm glad you enjoyed the opera you saw.

I think to be honest it's because the previous Managers were not prepared or able to deal with things properly. The Manager I had when first started here was a lovely man who helped and supported me through a lot of problems I had with another staff member but when it came to dealing with problems caused by his staff he shied away from dealing it. The next one after that didn't last long anyway as there were issues with the standard of his own work. I know that the people there will not see this as reflection on me so I am not worried about that. The truth is that the issues with this man, like the other one who left a few week ago, have been a ticking time bomb for a long time. He has definite issues with women and has I now know confronted at least half a dozen female staff members quite aggressively in some instances, whom he thinks have been talking about him. This though is all in his head as most of these women don't even know who he is. Personally I think he needs psychiatric help. Enough said anyway. It's the weekend and I want to forget about work for a while.

On a happier note Coran and I managed to get tickets to see our favourite Icelandic rock band Sigur Ros in September. I am really looking forward to this, as it's a small venue they will be playing at (the old Hammersmith Odeon). We were lucky to get tickets actually as they were sold out for the date we wanted by lunchtime.   

June, I hope you guys are extra careful. Delusional people do dangerous things and thus guy sounds like a poster child for workplace violence. Don't underestimate him.

Today is cold and gray. I'd rather not go out but hubby is having some issues with his phone so I need to get it checked. While out I'm going to pick up some carrots and mushrooms. Then it's home to style in and read an Elizabeth George book I send to have overlooked. I'm sure I'll nap in between!

I know what you mean Virginia, and you are not the first one to point this out. Some of the things he has told me about his childhood in South Africa and what it is like there do make me wonder.

I hope you enjoy your nap Virginia. I must admit I feel like I could do with one myself. It's only 7.30pm here but I am bushed already.

Went out early this morning, had a coffee and a pastry for breakfast plus I started reading a new book, then onto the cheesemongers for my fortnightly fix, then onto the bookshop where I bought a couple of books.  Visited my dad on the way home, and now I'm back for the day and plan to do very little for the afternoon. :D

We try to watch a film on a Saturday night, so need to make up my mind which one to watch before this evening.  Hoping for another lazy day tomorrow, although if it's dry in the morning, might try and go out early for a nice walk somewhere, maybe the harbourside, but will wait and see what the weather's like first. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. :)

Coran and I have had a quiet day so far. It was the usual weekly food shop for us this morning, followed by a quick lunch and some leaflet drops we had promised to do for the local Lib Dems. We both have a massage booked in about an hour, so are having a cup of coffee and relaxing for a bit before our friend comes round to do that.

Tomorrow we are going to see The Bolshoi Ballet performance of Swan Lake - it's another one of those live feeds from Covent Garden. Swan Lake is always good to watch and of course it's even better when it's the Bolshoi. The ticket prices are so reasonable, especially as we joined the Friends scheme of our local theatre which gives a discount on tickets. To see something like this live in London would cost a fortune. The train fare to get there would be about the same as the ticket price we are paying to see the live feed, so it's a no brainer really.

OH has decided that film night should only be every other week :roll: so we ended up just catching up on a few programmes we'd recorded last night (and he still fell asleep halfway through one of those :giggle2:).

Decided not to go out for the walk this morning, as we've both got a few things we need to sort out, so after I've done a bit of cleaning and tidying, I'm going to try and get the layout sorted for my quilt blocks, and then hopefully get back to the read-a-thon this afternoon.  What an exciting life I lead! :lol:

I'm still ill and got up way later than I wanted to this morning - mainly because my housemate and her boyfriend came back from a night out at around 5.30 and kept me awake for like an hour with how loudly they were stomping around the house... I love our tiny terrace house, but it sure is annoying how you hear literally everything that's going on... But when I did wake up at 10 I felt a lot less ill, so maybe sleeping in was a good thing after all =)

Today I have some essay planning to do, so the main reading I'll be doing is papers and articles, but I hope to get to my own books at some point this afternoon too!

I hope you feel better soon, Sazed :flowers2:!

A few days ago one of our chicken died, a brown cockrel. We're not sure why. He was born last spring, so he wasn't old at all yet. Hopefully it was a one time thing and not an illness. The others seem fine. It wasn't a predator. We have been seeing a predator bird around here catching pidgeons, but the brown chicken were inside with the door locked, so it's not possible a predator got in (also it would've eaten or destroyed all of them).

I had a nice weekend, I did a bit of shopping and household chores but I also spent some time resting, reading, cataloguing (books) and playing a video game.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend :).

Thanks Athena, I'm already feeling much better today! 

That's such a shame about your chicken, I hope it really doesn't turn out to be a disease! Keep an eye on the others! Do you keep them for eggs? :) My aunt has some as well, but hers are the white, fluffy kind with the long feathers. I forgot what they're called :D

I'm glad to hear that!

Thanks! We keep them for the eggs and also just because we like them. We don't have just brown ones, we have 27 in total, including some that are black-and-white. Most years the past few years, we have a nest of little ones in late spring, then we keep those. I think all of the ones we own now except 4 of them, were born with us (through nests of little chicken). The white fluffy ones sound nice :D.

Sazed, glad to hear you're feeling better :)

Athena, sorry to hear one of your chickens died :( 27 chickens!! So many. I actually really like chickens, I've never been around one in real life but I actually wouldn't mind having a few. I don't eat many eggs though, I would probably have to try and sell the eggs. It'd make me a bit of a hypocrite though, as chicken is largely the only meat I eat. :roll:

I haven't much news, just wanted to pop in and say howdy to everyone. Trying to catch up on my reading lately, and also doing quite a bit of cross-stitching. I have two smaller pieces I might not finish, and am making plans for a giant piece which will be 15 inches x 23 inches when its done. It'll probably take the rest of the year, but I think it'll be worth it! I did make one small piece over the weekend to hang in my ensuite, but it's not the kind of humor that everyone would get, so I'm not going to post it on the forum.

I've a busyish week at work this week, stuff I need to get done and have been putting off, sigh. But I shouldn't complain, tis a good job and I don't have it for much longer.

Glad you're feeling better, Sazed.

A shame about your chicken, Athena.  I hope that the others stay fit and healthy!

I was trawling eBay last night for the first time in ages, and caught sight of the most fantastically beautiful yellow lace agate crystal skull.  It's covered with large, deep geodes.  It is SO striking.  I had to buy it, even though it wasn't in my budget for this month.  It'll be one of the largest skulls I own, at 76mm in length.  I should have it in my hands by the end of the week, and I'm so excited!

Edited by Onion Budgie

I was trawling eBay last night for the first time in ages, and caught sight of the most fantastically beautiful yellow lace agate crystal skull.  It's covered with large, deep geodes.  It is SO striking.  I had to buy it, even though it wasn't in my budget for this month.  It'll be one of the largest skulls I own, at 76mm in length.  I should have it in my hands by the end of the week, and I'm so excited!

That sounds beautiful and really unusual. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that when it arrives. It's not every day that you come across someone else who is interested in them.   

Sorry to hear about your chicken Athena - hope it wasn't anything that will affect the other ones.   

Edited by Talisman

That sounds beautiful and really unusual. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that when it arrives. It's not every day that you come across someone else who is interested in them.   

Sorry to hear about your chicken Athena - hope it wasn't anything that will affect the other ones.   

I have a photo from the seller's listing to give you an idea of how it looks.  :)  There are other photos from different angles, but this is the full-on shot.  

I already have a yellow lace agate skull -- much smaller than this one -- which also has a small geode, strangely enough, but only in the nose area.  This larger one has stolen my heart, however!

post-13837-0-20040800-1486401755_thumb.jpg