Your Book Activity - February 2017

Kylie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit this morning.  Almost harrowing in an understated sort of way, but very good.  

Have now started the lighter, and hopefully humorous, followup to Beetle Boy called Beetle Queen.  Loved Beetle Boy last year (my joint favourite children's book of the year, along with Cogheart), so have been looking forward to this one for ages. :smile2:

Caught up and finished a few books over the weekend

What Could Possible go Wrong by Jodi Taylor - I loved this one had a few laugh out loud moments, I have read it out of order so now need to go back and read No Time Like the Past hope I don't get too confused.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - this was so true I found myself nodding or agreeing with things that were pointed out in the book.

Still reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime - only reading a bit at a time to make sure I take it all in.

Finished Mischling by Affinity Konar (novel based on the experience of twins in Auschwitz at the hands of the despicably Dr Joseph Mengele), the first half left me a little flat but picked up in the second half, just horrific to think what those poor children, and adults, went through.

I finished Ready Player One last night, and really enjoyed it. Now I've started The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.

I'm glad you really liked it :).

I'm currently reading Jenna Evans Welch - Liefde & Gelato (Love & Gelato). So far it's nice, but I'm only on page 44 so it's a bit too early to tell. I hope to do some more reading later today.

I haven't brought my book to work but I am hoping to finish 2 out of the 3 I have on my currently reading shelf. It's annoying not having my book but at least it will prompt me to go out on my lunch because there are things I need to get for the weekend.

Looks like there have been a lot of good reads for people lately which is nice to see :)

I thought the same. Last year my first one star was in march and then not again til October, which was a nice stretch. I am lucky I have only rated 7 books one star in total. But I only rate books that I finish.

Do you mean only 7 books that you've ever read in your life have gotten one star? Wow, I think that's pretty lucky! :) I wish I had as low a number of complete duds :D 

Did you decide to leave The Couple Next Door for now?

No, I kept going and last night I finally finished it, wohoo :)  It wasn't that bad in the end! I hope your reading's going better, too. I hope you can juggle the three books you're currently reading without no difficulties! :) 

I've moved on to reading The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley. 

Do you mean only 7 books that you've ever read in your life have gotten one star? Wow, I think that's pretty lucky! :) I wish I had as low a number of complete duds :D 

No, I kept going and last night I finally finished it, wohoo :)  It wasn't that bad in the end! I hope your reading's going better, too. I hope you can juggle the three books you're currently reading without no difficulties! :) 

Yes just the 7 out of all the ones I have read. I haven't read lots though, but I did become abit too generous with my five stars. So I am saving those for the books that really make me feel happy or when I can't stop thinking about the book after I have finished it.

That's good :) thank you, I'll get there eventually haha.

I'm hoping this is a good read. I bought it late last year in one of the Kindle sales, but not sure if it's my kind of book.

I'm still reading The Selfish Gene. I'm struggling a bit, as I find it a bit convoluted rather than explained in a simplistic way. :dunno:

Yes just the 7 out of all the ones I have read. I haven't read lots though, but I did become abit too generous with my five stars. So I am saving those for the books that really make me feel happy or when I can't stop thinking about the book after I have finished it.

Only 7 is still a hugely low number, I'm pleased for you! :)  

I'm hoping this is a good read. I bought it late last year in one of the Kindle sales, but not sure if it's my kind of book.

Well, it started out rather slowly, but then I got into it, only to find out the next day I didn't remember anything I'd read the previous evening. I'm on the fence: should I start again, or just leave it. :shrug: 

Well, it started out rather slowly, but then I got into it, only to find out the next day I didn't remember anything I'd read the previous evening. I'm on the fence: should I start again, or just leave it. :shrug:

:lol: Oh no, that doesn't bode well! Maybe just skim read the start in the hopes that you'll remember?

Bird Box is going well, and seems like a fairly quick read.

Edited by bobblybear

I finished Bird Box this morning. Overall it was disappointing as not a whole lot happened. :dunno:

I might have to give up on The Selfish Gene. As much I want to read it and the topic interests me, I just find it such a struggle. It's not told in an easily understandable way (for my mind anyway), and I find I'm doing more skimming rather than actual reading. :doh:

I've started Death and the Devil by Frank Schatzing. I bought it way back in 2012, after loving The Swarm, and also I want to read the books that I've had on my TBR pile for ages. It's not blowing me away at the moment, but I don't know if it's the mood I'm in. I'm feeling very restless and picky with my reading lately. Part of it is being overwhelmed by my TBR pile (which happens every so often). I start browsing through my Kindle and there are so many I want to read that I can't seem to just settle on one. :sarcastic:

:lol: Oh no, that doesn't bode well! Maybe just skim read the start in the hopes that you'll remember?

That's the thing, though! Every night when I picked up the book again, to read it, I had to skim read what I'd already read :D I've made a fresh start again and I'm taking notes a bit, because there's something about the book that doesn't want to let me go. It haunts me :D Might still end up being a poor read! 

I've just finished Beetle Queen by M. G. Leonard, which was excellent - can't wait for the final instalment in the trilogy, which I'm hoping might be in the summer, just in time for the school holidays. :D

Received some books for my birthday last week, which I haven't added to my TBR list yet, so that'll be a job for this afternoon. :)