Lurker checking in

Putnam

Hey there,

I've been a long-time lurker here, often checking in to see what you all have to say about a book before I dive into it. I decided that I better make an account here at some point, so here I am! Looking forward to discussions.

I've also created a website named Reading Length to help with finding out how long books might take to read for those without e-readers. I would link to it but I'm not sure what the rules are on that, nor do I know how to add links.

Has anybody read Edward Abbey? I'm just starting Desert Solitaire and I love it already.

Cheers!

Welcome here :).

About your website, we get a lot of people signing up just to promote their own book or website. They make one or multiple posts about their own thing and don't interact with the forum as a book lover. We therefore don't allow new members to post links, see the forum rules and our promotional policy. We welcome new members and once you've become an established member you're welcome to post your own website somewhere. It sounds interesting. The general procedure is to try to make some more posts in some threads, then ask one of us (the staff) if it's okay to link to your website somewhere (for example make post in this thread or send one of us a private message). I believe you need to make 10 posts to become a 'member' rather than a 'new member', which will give you the option to send someone a private message.

I hope you enjoy your time here :). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT: I just saw you made a reading log already! I'll allow you to post your website once you become a 'member' rather than a 'new member' (I believe you need 10 posts, but please make them nice constructive ones as opposed to one-word spam ones :) ).

EDIT2: Posting a link goes as follows. You can either just copy paste the address, and the forum software will convert it. Like this: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/.

If you want it to look neater, there are two options. Option one is to click the 9th button on the bottom bar of icons above the post-box (you will first have to click on 'More Reply Options' at the bottom of the topic page where you can type your post). It looks like a chain link with a green plus sign at the bottom right corner of the chain link. In the box that appears, copy paste, or type, your URL. Once you click okay, it will show your link. You can then select it and type a different name for your website, like this: Book Club Forum. Option two (the one I personally use), is to type, without spaces, the following: [ url ]http:// www. something .co .uk]Book Club Forum[ / url ], like this Book Club Forum. You can see this by quoting or typing a post that has a link in it, then pressing the first button on the top bar of the post box (again once you click 'More Reply Options'), it looks like a light switch.

Edited by Athena