Putnam's Journey - 2017

Putnam

Hi all,

This year I’m going to try to read a lot more than I did last year, during the summer I got so wrapped up in work that I barely left any time for myself to read for fun. So, I figured I'd keep track of what I'm reading as a sort of external motivation.

I have 18 books in my reading list at the moment, and according to Reading Length this should take me around 10 months reading for 30 minutes each day.

Here is what I am in the process of reading at the moment:

February

Desert Solitaire – Edward Abbey – 10%
Edward Abbey is a fascinating individual. Did you know his best friends stole his body when he died and buried him in the desert illegally when he died? 

Walden – Henry David Thoreau – 19%
I’ve been meaning to read this, everyone raves about Thoreau’s rugged individualism. I also want to build a cabin someday.

Visual Intelligence – Amy E. Herman – 0% (Re-read)
I read this really fast the past summer and I feel like I didn’t really take in everything it has to

Flow – Csikszentmihalyi – 0%
Tim Ferriss recommended it.

Natural Capitalism – Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins, L. Hunter Lovins – 0%
I bought this along with five other environmentalists books one night after a wine-fueled binge watching of nature documentaries.

January
The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand – 100%
This is a remarkable book that I tried reading during high school but never finished. Great story about someone who faces adversity in his beliefs and ideals, eventually rising up showing society how not everyone has to follow the status quo. I am far from a Rand worshiper, however this book is pretty good. 4/5

Love this........

Natural Capitalism – Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins, L. Hunter Lovins – 0%
I bought this along with five other environmentalists books one night after a wine-fueled binge watching of nature documentaries.

Welcome, and Happy Reading Year!  :D

Welcome to the community and happy reading Putnam!

I really must get around to Ayn Rand this year - I've heard so much debate around her work and need my own experience of reading something in order to contribute, or even better understand the different sides of the debates :)