Why I have joined this Forum.

BML

I am eighty years of age and my primary interest in E Books and Kindle is that when I'm writing something possible a letter to a provocative friend who has written to me in provocative terms and whom I wish to contradict I go into the Internet looking for ammunition. 

If I find something complex that I wish to impress him with on let us say, Chinese history I can buy the book but then I have to look for information in that book in order to be able to use it in my discourse. 

The problem with that is that between reading a sentence in a book and attempting to type it onto a Word page I normally forget what I have just read as soon as I get the Word page.  It might be something to do with the dyslexia which I am afflicted with or simply a rubbish memory.  I don't think that I'm going Ga Ga because it has always been like that.  From experience I know that when I have scanned a page from a book and pasted it onto the letter that I'm writing to my friend the memory loss disappears and I take what I find and edit it which I find very useful. 

I have recently read “One’s Company. A Journey to China.”  Peter Fleming a rather arrogant young man who I remember quoting Lord Melbourne in this book saying something like, Things are coming to a pretty pass when religion is allowed to invade private life.”  I should have taken a note of where the quote was but I didn’t so now I need to see what context Fleming used that quote and although I have skimmed the book twice I can’t find it.  So, the first book I will buy if it is to be found as an Ebook or Kindle will be “One’s Company. A Journey to China.” where I hope that I will be able to a Find device if that is possible.

So firstly.  Is it possible to access a book that way and find details?

Secondly, where can I find something that will introduce me to the character of E Books and Kindle answering questions such as, Does it make sense to have them both.  

Those are my primary reason for wanting to look into E Books and Kindle at the moment and I know nothing about them.

Welcome. Firstly, congratulations on reaching eighty years of age. Only twenty more to go!

You didn't say whether you ever read for pleasure.

I have only tried a kindle, so I don't know about any other type of E-book readers. I do believe the kindle has the quote search facility you want, and I know you can take notes and stuff , although I never did. A kindle is an extremely worthwhile and good value device, I can vouch for that. You don't have to go for the fancy versions, the basic one has those features you mentioned. 

I was able to directly google Lord Melbourne's quote, (which was about his opposition to the abolition of slavery) and lots of articles came up.

Edited by vodkafan

Many thanks for that.  Not a very nice man, Melbourne.

What I was hoping to be able to do was first to find if there is an E Book or Kindle copy of “One’s Company. A Journey to China.”  and I found that there is at least a Kindle edition

Having found that a Kindle edition does exist the question is.  “Does a find facility exist within Kindle which I could use to see where it is in the book?”

Many thanks for that.  Not a very nice man, Melbourne.

What I was hoping to be able to do was first to find if there is an E Book or Kindle copy of “One’s Company. A Journey to China.”  and I found that there is at least a Kindle edition

Having found that a Kindle edition does exist the question is.  “Does a find facility exist within Kindle which I could use to see where it is in the book?”

I am 90% sure there is, but I am going to check my kindle handbook and get back to you. 

Welcome to the Forum I don't know the answers to your questions, hopefully vodkafan can do that.  However, I read all my books on kindle for pleasure and love it. There are many for using a kindle benefits for a person that reads a lot. Books can be bought immediately and downloaded to the kindle without waiting for the mail and the books are somewhat reasonable in price. Also. for me and probably many others, we can download at no cost, books from the library to the kindle for reading. I normally read on my kindle every year about 60 to 70 books that were downloaded from the library. I am currently reading a book that was recommended to me by Athena and I downloaded it from the library, same as my previous read.

Edited by muggle not

I currently don't have a working kindle, but I looked up your problem in a kindle guidebook I bought a while back. I couldn't find that quote search function mentioned, so you might have to read the book again. What you definitely CAN do is highlight anything you want when you find it, and then either store it in notes or find it again anytime.

I agree with Muggle Not that a kindle is a great asset in any case. My daughter is on a literature course and she uses it for research a lot. 

Many hundreds of the classics and old books are free for kindle, so the device kind of pays for itself within the first few minutes of ownership.

Edited by vodkafan

Hello BML, and welcome to the forum. 

Kindle, Kobo, Nook and Cybook etc. are all E Book readers, all pretty similar. 

If you are thinking of buying an E Reader, I can definitely recommend an Amazon Kindle, I have a KIndle Paperwhite that I love to read with.

I checked on my Kindle and the search facility on it can definitely look for quotes. I have a few hundred books stored on my kindle and it was able to find the quote I used quickly, and it gives the location / page number.

I have checked out the Fleming book you mentioned, and Amazon UK actually have 2 kindle versions of the book (different publishers I think). Link to Amazon page

Edited by Chrissy

When I started this thread I wrote that my primary interest in E Books and Kindle is that I wanted to be able to buy a book in order to look for information within it and that I wanted to be able to cut and paste say a sentence from the book onto a Word document. The thought crossed my mind since then that EBooks or Kindle books may not have an effective “Find” facility as Word has and therefore it might be more effective were I to be able to lift the entire contend of an EBook or Kindle book and paste it onto a Word document in order to use its “Find” facility.

As I read the very kind responses that I have had to my thread I realised that I know nothing whatsoever about EBooks or Kindle books so I wonder if there is a source that discusses questions such as.

What are the differences between EBooks - Kindle books, their readers, cost and availability?

What are the differences between the different readers their cost and availability?

Vodkafan

Many thanks for your welcome. You said, “You didn't say whether you ever read for pleasure.” The answer to that made me think a bit and it bought back memories of when I was eight years old in 1944 and my parents had just reclaimed me from where I had been evacuated from London. The place they took me to was a Book Shop in Oxford which we were to live above. Obviously there was no TV and the wireless was normally only switched on for the war news. Being new to the area I had yet to develop any friendships but in the evenings I had the run of the shop and found all sorts of books that I could borrow and eventually when I was older I bought some of them and the ones below I still own so I certainly read and later bought them to read again for pleasure when I was older.

“The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists Robert Tressell was one the books that made my blood boil at the unfairness of the social system that Robert Tressell lived in and wrote about.

Upton Sinclair “The Jungle”. A book which filled me with rage

“Ireland her own” and “Solo Trumpet”. Tommy Jackson.

“English Episode” was written by Charles Poulsen.

“Of Mice and Men”. John Steinbeck.

“Cannery Row”. John Steinbeck.

“Grapes of Wrath”, John Steinbeck.

“The Story of London’s Great Fire”. Walter George Bell.

“The Call of the Wild”. Jack London.

“To Build a Fire”. Jack London.

“White Fang”. Jack London.

“At the Point of the Bayonet. George Alfred Henty.

“The Jungle”. Upton Sinclair.

“Lanny Budd”. Upton Sinclair.

“And Quiet Flows the Don” Michail Aleksandrovich, Sholokhov.

"English Episode."

“Cannery Row”. John Steinbeck.

“Grapes of Wrath”, John Steinbeck.

“The Story of London’s Great Fire”. Walter George Bell.

“The Call of the Wild”. Jack London.

“To Build a Fire”. Jack London.

“White Fang”. Jack London.

“The Jungle”. Upton Sinclair.

“Lanny Budd”. Upton Sinclair.

“And Quiet Flows the Don” Michail Aleksandrovich, Sholokhov.

"English Episode."

“Studs Lonigan” and “Fellow Countrymen.” James T. Farrell.

“The “Iliad” Edited by Jeanie Lang.

Children’s books.

“At the Point of the Bayonet. George Alfred Henty.

“My Friend Mr. Leakey”. J.B.S. Haldane

“The Twisted Talisman”. Meta Shaw.

“Bambi’s Children”. Felix Salten.

“Pierre of Normandy.” Paul Tabori.

“Purkess the Charcoal Burner”. Allen W. Seaby

The book shop also carried the classics such as Dickens, Shakespeare, Anthony Trollope, Oscar Wild and a number of American and Russian authors.

When I grew up practically all the books that I bought were to study and the sort of subjects I worked in were Employment Law. Even those gave me pleasure because I was discovering new things all of the time. My recent reading was prompted by a wish to understand the terrorism that is now a part of the world so I started to study the history of Islam discovering new things about it every day so I think that I can say that I do read for pleasure but it may be a different pleasure than when I read the novels of John Steinbeck.

Your comments on Lord Melbourne reminded me of what an interesting man he was and thank you for the information on the Kindle, that there is a Kindle version of “One’s Company. A Journey to China.” And that a kindle guidebook exists.

Huggle A Muggle

Many thanks for your welcome and all the way from North Carolina which fills me with wonder at how small the world has become. When I feel that I have developed an appreciation of the EBook-Kindle technology I will buy a reader but as they appear to go from £60.00 to closer to £300.00 although the Kindle appears to be the least expensive. I would like to be certain where I’m going because I still need to know if it’s possible to download or is it uplift and entire book and copy it to Word.

Chrissy

Many thanks for your welcome Chrissy and the information that Kindle, Kobo, Nook and Cybook etc. are all E Book readers, all pretty similar. However, I’m still a trifle confused as to whether one can read an EBook on a Kindle machine and vica versa. I will have a look at the Amazon Kindle and am amazed that the device can copy that number of books.

chesilbeach

Many thanks for your welcome and the remarkable amount of information in "What is the best e-nook reader?" Having been dragged out shopping by my dear wife this afternoon I'm shattered so its tomorrow morning before I get down to reading it but many thanks.

Welcome BML. Kindles are great. I have 50+ books stored on mine and most of the books were either free or under £5 at the very most. As for finding quotes - yes, as has been mentioned, you can find things on there. Of course, you can always Google your quote and see if it takes you to the exact quote within that book.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, vodkafan said:

Welcome. Firstly, congratulations on reaching eighty years of age. Only twenty more to go!

I have only tried a kindle, so I don't know about any other type of E-book readers. I do believe the kindle has the quote search facility you want, and I know you can take notes and stuff , although I never did. A kindle is an extremely worthwhile and good value device, I can vouch for that. You don't have to go for the fancy versions, the basic one has those features you mentioned. 

I was able to directly google Lord Melbourne's quote, (which was about his opposition to the abolition of slavery) and lots of articles came up.

"You didn't say whether you ever read for pleasure."

Study is my primary pleasure.  At the moment I'm looking at Attlee and Churchill from 1900 to 1960 both whom are treated as near saints but were far from it.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, BML said:

chesilbeach

Many thanks for your welcome and the remarkable amount of information in "What is the best e-nook reader?" Having been dragged out shopping by my dear wife this afternoon I'm shattered so its tomorrow morning before I get down to reading it but many thanks.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, vodkafan said:

I hope this doesn't seem pompous but study is my primary pleasure.  At the moment I'm looking at Attlee and Churchill from 1900 to 1960 both whom are treated as near saints but were far from it. 

Your answer showed that I did not explain myself sufficiently.  I'm dyslexic which might be why when I'm using a book by the time I've taken my eyes off it and moved them to my computer screen I've forgotten what I had just read.  As a result I scan a page and place it onto my computer screen and work from that as an aide-memoire.  My primary interest in EBooks is that I hope to be able to avoid scanning and just load the EBook onto my computer so my question have contained a mention that its not so much the READER but the software or whatever its called that holds the content of the EBook.  I do hope that is not to confusing.  

A final point.  Although I ticked the Notify box I only found these answers by accident so is there a fault in the system or is it me?  Many thanks all.