Peace's Reads 2017

Peacefield

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Athena, and yes, all is well.  Plenty of things going on this spring to keep me busy and here it is already well into June.

I started and then finished listening to Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, then promptly watched the whole of the HBO series.  I also read The Eyre Affair and have now started Lost in a Good Book.  I read the first book in the Thursday Next series a few years ago and collected all of the books in the series but never managed to read all of them.  So, I'm starting from the beginning :).

I've also been slowly but surely planning my trip to the UK and Ireland.  What with house buying, moving, and my best friend losing her dad to an illness this spring, planning just went on the back burner.  But here I am, only about 80 days away from takeoff so I need to get going.  We will be there a total of 15 nights and have booked our hotel in Nottinghamshire for our first night.  From there we plan on heading north to Scotland and spending the next 5 days there, after which we'll go to Ireland and will then finish our last week in SW England.

Of course all of that could still change ;).  We do know that we don't want to spend a each night in a different place, so will try to pick hotels/B&Bs where we can then venture out and visit many places.  I've mentioned before that we plan on Dorset, with a stop in Weymouth, as well as near Chichester.  There are just so many places to see and with only 15 days it'll be a challenge.  We like off-the-beaten-path types of things, mostly. 

Hope you are all well  and enjoying summer so far.

I'm glad your reading is going well :). I didn't know there was a HBO series of Big Little Lies.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's dad :(.

I hope your trip will be lots of fun :)! It sounds like fun.

Thanks, you guys!  My friend's dad was way too young, just a couple years older than my dad when he passed away.  But then again there's never a good age to lose a parent :(

The HBO series was very good, Athena, although not better than the book.  It was set in Monterrey, California and I thought they did a very nice adaptation to the story.  I'm glad I read the book first!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:53 AM, Peacefield said:

Thanks, you guys!  My friend's dad was way too young, just a couple years older than my dad when he passed away.  But then again there's never a good age to lose a parent :(

The HBO series was very good, Athena, although not better than the book.  It was set in Monterrey, California and I thought they did a very nice adaptation to the story.  I'm glad I read the book first!

I wonder if the HBO series is still playing on re-runs. Will have to check it out.

You will have to try the Longmire Mystery series books. I am on book 8 and loved them all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 6:24 PM, muggle not said:

I wonder if the HBO series is still playing on re-runs. Will have to check it out.

You will have to try the Longmire Mystery series books. I am on book 8 and loved them all.

If you have HBO, Muggle Not, you should be able to watch them on HBO Go or On Demand with your cable?

Thanks for the Longmire suggestion!  I shall add it to my watch list :)

I finished Lost in a Good Book over the weekend and am now into The Well of Lost Plots.  I also listened to Ready Player One and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane on Audible.  Both of them re-'reads' of mine but I loved both so I could do that multiple times :).

I have firmed up my trip itinerary and now am busy trying to book B&B/Inn stays.  We will be in Dorset, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin and Cork, with many stops in between I'm sure.  We also plan on taking day trips because my 2 friends and I have decided we're going to drive :unsure:.  Watch out, people! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys!  Happy Monday :smile2:

I'm on the home stretch of The Well of Lost Plots and am also listening to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.  That was is a re-"read" but I love it so much and I find that listening to books that I've already read works better for me while I'm working, since I have an idea what the story is.  I went to a library book sale over the weekend and found Copper River by William Kent Krueger, Saints and Strangers by George F. Willison and a book I've been tempted to buy many times over, Bring Warm Clothes, which is a collection of letters and journal entries describing Minnesota's history since before statehood and after.  Saints and Strangers is about the Pilgrims and their history in England before coming to the US and then once they land on Plymouth Rock :D.

My trip planning is almost complete!  I have booked our car hires for the UK and Ireland, and have booked B&Bs in Southampton, Derby, and York.  Not to mention our stay at Melville Castle in Edinburgh!  We'll be spending 2 nights in Southampton so we can explore all of the Dorset coast, and then in Derby so we can visit Chatsworth House (yay, Pemberly!).  We also want to see the York Minster and the Major Oak in the Sherwood Forest.  We have added the Island of Skye to our itinerary and will also be in Dublin for 2 nights right in the middle of the city.  Lastly, before we fly back to LHR, we'll be in the counties of Clare, Cork and Kerry in Ireland.  Those hotels/B&Bs are all booked so all that's left is the rest of our Scottish itinerary.  It's all just too exciting! :yahoo: